Market survey - Do you want a Moose Blower?

Agnem

Using the Force!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Hi everyone. Things are really slow here at Conestoga Diesel Injection this week. My incoming work shelves are bare, so I'm digging into my project list and am thinking of tackling my next offering, which will be a line of turbo upgrades for the 3 predominant kits that most of us are running. I've done most of the research and have in mind what I want to offer. The thing is, this stuff isn't cheap. What I need to know is, are their any of you that would pay up to $1500 for a turbo that would give you another 50-75 HP when used with a Moose Pump and intercooler? That's a big chunk of change I know, but the high-hp thread keeps churning, and does so mostly because people want to dream and not spend. Tell me your thoughts.

Dsl_Dog_Treat

I lost my face to the jaws of a poodle
Reaction score
Seeing the limitations of the big 3 turbo systems, and what the Moose is capable of at a reliable rate it would be a new avenue to travel. :D
More air is definitely a need for us that have a Moose IP.

Hmmm, smelling an IDI Moose power pack in the works.

typ4

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
sounds like I need to raise my turbo upgrade prices.:D

firehawk

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If that price is competitive, then offer it. Seems a bit high to me, but I work with turbo cars all the time and have suppliers that offer me discounts.

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
Thats an interesting adventure your looking at Mel. I would need more information but the sound of a turbo that gives us more hp is a road trip I'd like to take with you.:D I have a spare Banks Wastegated Turbo if that's something you need to use for testing reasons. Just send it back when your done with it and I will pay the shipping both ways...:sly I understand its kindof a horrible thought to have a spare turbo when most or at least many don't even have one on their rigs. I also have the Banks cast iron manifold that goes with this turbo if thats needed. What I don't have is the down pipe or the cross over pipe but Banks continues to offer that... Actually your price is not much more than what Banks charged me 6 years ago when I wanted to rebuild my turbo. they told me they did not have any rebuild parts and just the turbo was going to be $1100.00. Thats the deal I got so thats how I ended up with a spare turbo. Later on I was surfing ebay and found the cast iron manifold for a really good price so I bought it...:thumbsup: Then I found a complete Hypermax intercooler and bid $458.00 on it. Got it for $450.00 because nobody else bid on it...:eek:LOL Thats was a real gift that I had no expectation of winning .... Sounds like I better finally get off the pot and install that intercooler or get lost in the traffic....

Goofyexponent

Mentally Unstable..
Reaction score
Mel, $1500 for a turbo isn't out of this world! I can't buy a USED turbo around here for under $600. People think they have GOLD when it comes to turbos, blowers, 4 bolt main blocks, etc.

I would say that you could make a stake in that market. Maybe even tap into the cummins market locally with the same ideals.

I'm glad to hear that you are doing good with your shop!

laserjock

Almost there...
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Contemplating an upgrade from stock, a package deal with pump injectors, turbo etc. might be appealing if the price and performance were right.

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
Actually Mel your buyin line about a blower did offer me a thought of an actual blower offer from you for our beloved idi platform... I know thats something that has been done with a BDS blower. It was nothing to boast about if anything. I live about 3 miles from the BDS factory so I took the ebay pics and talked to the head engineer there. He told me they had nothing to do with that build but they would offer a manifold if I gave them around $18,000.00. It would be less if they made made more than one so the price would be lower .:angel: I wasn't a taker thats for sure. Really all I need is a heliarc machine that offers Tig capibilitys and a metal welding table. Plenty of metal suppliers all around me too where any material is possible. I even have several plates of titanium here. No way I can or would weld those. I was very good at TIG welding before I retired. That type of welding is an artwork. Its not simply drag a stick and strat welding. The eye hand and food coradination is like a one man band walking and juggleing something. But when its done right its a really nice clean weld. Done wrong and it looks like something people leave behind after walking their dogs....:eek::angel:

Last edited:

88beast

Full Access Member
Reaction score
my two cents is offer a stock kit replacement turbo that will bolt up to any of the 3 big systems. incluse necessary adaptors etc for oil drain. this would be a great option as you can go even bigger than a modded stock turbo.

PwrSmoke

Full Access Member
Reaction score
At some point, Banks and ATS are going to discontinue their kits once and for all. For them, it's a case of diminished returns with our old junk. Hypermax is less likely to quit in the near term but it's still possible.

I've said this a million times, but the hp/dollar ratio of even a high dollar soup-to-nuts turbo kit (perhaps with a pump) is still the cheapest power upgrade you are ever going to get for an NA 6.9/7.3L. The IDI market is diminished enough that the big guys don't see the dollar signs any more. A small outfit can still make a go on that scale. As to price.... it costs what it has to cost. Unless you go obscenely high, like way higher than the big guy's kits are now, it's not an issue. If you want to play, you simply have to pay. Offering the parts alacarte may be an option for the DIY'er who wants to piece a kit together and save a few bucks but if you offered a full kit with only a downpipe, you could let the customer do the exhaust. Again saving money. You could have a full system available for those that need or want it.

So many people want cheap only because they don't have the discipline to save. I've seen guys spends $2K in bits and pieces over a year and not end up with all that much, a bunch of mismached parts that may or may not perform well or be troublesome, when they could have saved up that $2K over the year and gotten a comprehensive kit, bolted it on in a weekends and yelled "yeeehaaa" all the way into the sunset.

rhkcommander

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Build it and they will come. 1500$ is hard to swallow some without dyno proof of said increase. Highest HP I've seen using Moose pumps were the get together dynos so it would be neat seeing that much more power.

It would be nice to have a kit, with intercooler that could just plop right in. But I'm not sure if thats what you meant either :dunno

subway

be nice to the admin :D
Reaction score
Build it and they will come. 1500$ is hard to swallow some without dyno proof of said increase. Highest HP I've seen using Moose pumps were the get together dynos so it would be neat seeing that much more power.

It would be nice to have a kit, with intercooler that could just plop right in. But I'm not sure if thats what you meant either :dunno

i think that is a good point, many here know you and have met you so they can vouch for the type of personal service you can provide. i think it would be a help to have a IDI test mule you can dyno from the beginning and show the gains from each upgrade. results will vary but it can be hard to put faith in a "supposed to do this" build for a person. if i did not know you and your capabilities i would most likely pass you by. many in this world have made big promises to not see them come through one way or another and it can be hard to filter out the good from the bad.

just my 2 cents worth, on the flip side thanks for staying in the fight that helps keep us supplied with quaility parts and options when others fade away.

firehawk

Full Access Member
Reaction score

Sorry, but that is not true. When I had my performance shop, I built a custom intercooler setup (pipes were fabbed on mandrel bender - not cheap). I priced them to cover costs and a reasonable profit. Sold two. It was for a market that was drying up at the time with the economy going down. I see similar things with the idi market, but I am not as in touch with it like I was with my turbo cars.

I would look to providing a turbo for newer trucks with an eye on their future pump rebuild needs. With anything automotive, the money is in new cars, not the old.

hesutton

The Anti-Anderson
Supporting Member
Reaction score
If you remember the cloud of smoke in the dyno room when the 6.9 made it's pulls............. I certainly could use more air on that rig with my Moose fuel. Just don't have the time or the desire to completely build a custom turbo setup.

I bolt on upgrade to my Banks Sidewinder would certainly be attractive man. And, I would pony up for one.

Heath