Market survey - Do you want a Moose Blower?

'94IDITurbo7.3

HAMMER DOWN!
Reaction score
I'd like to see a bolt in vgt/vvt (whatever you wanna call it) turbo. I don't know why, but I like em. What'd be cool is a vgt/vvt combined with a smoke puff eliminator where they work together. I think that'd be one clean, powerful combo.

i think the smoke puff eliminator would be un-needed on a VGT turbo since the whole point of a vgt is to spool like a small turbo(boost down low, meaning low smoke) and pull hard like a big turbo up top.

i agree a drop in vgt turbo would be awesome but if you don't want to have a mechanical linkage controlling the vanes, then you have to pay big money for an electric controller.

79jasper

Chickenhawk
Reaction score
i think the smoke puff eliminator would be un-needed on a VGT turbo since the whole point of a vgt is to spool like a small turbo(boost down low, meaning low smoke) and pull hard like a big turbo up top.

i agree a drop in vgt turbo would be awesome but if you don't want to have a mechanical linkage controlling the vanes, then you have to pay big money for an electric controller.
You're right. I guess I meant to aim that for someone running huge fuel.
Can't it be controlled using air valves? I thought I read something about that. Or is that what you meant by mechanical?

typ4

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
At some point, Banks and ATS are going to discontinue their kits once and for all. For them, it's a case of diminished returns with our old junk. Hypermax is less likely to quit in the near term but it's still possible.

I've said this a million times, but the hp/dollar ratio of even a high dollar soup-to-nuts turbo kit (perhaps with a pump) is still the cheapest power upgrade you are ever going to get for an NA 6.9/7.3L. The IDI market is diminished enough that the big guys don't see the dollar signs any more. A small outfit can still make a go on that scale. As to price.... it costs what it has to cost. Unless you go obscenely high, like way higher than the big guy's kits are now, it's not an issue. If you want to play, you simply have to pay. Offering the parts alacarte may be an option for the DIY'er who wants to piece a kit together and save a few bucks but if you offered a full kit with only a downpipe, you could let the customer do the exhaust. Again saving money. You could have a full system available for those that need or want it.

So many people want cheap only because they don't have the discipline to save. I've seen guys spends $2K in bits and pieces over a year and not end up with all that much, a bunch of mismached parts that may or may not perform well or be troublesome, when they could have saved up that $2K over the year and gotten a comprehensive kit, bolted it on in a weekends and yelled "yeeehaaa" all the way into the sunset.
ATS has already stopped supporting IDI's .

typ4

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I have never spent more than $400 for a rebuild, and that was including a compressor wheel. Actually, for not much more than that, I upgrade with a new larger compressor housing and wheel. I don't see how a rebuild could ever cost $1100.

Then you got a deal. Parts have gone up A LOT.

quote=Mel, So there IS risk for me to try it. Just feeling out the water right now to see how many of you are willing to put your money where your mouth is (and I mean that in the most polite way).

That pretty much says it all, thats why I/We put out feelers.

Kalashnikov

Full Access Member
Reaction score
For $1500 no, I would not want to upgrade the stock turbo. $1k still sounds like a lot IMO when you can grab another turbo for a similar price and still have the old one to sell as a core. The fact that it is bolt on would be the most appealing thing.

I'm shopping for another turbo right now. Something that bolts on to the factory would be ideal but I'm open to doing custom piping which will more than likely be the case. I wouldn't mind doing twins except for the added expense of another turbo. I don't mind spending money but I try to save it when I can and for $1500 I feel I could just buy a whole turbo that be better to start with off the bat.

rhkcommander

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The price is better than the hypermax kit, would this just be a turbo or would it be a full kit , new refurbished etc? That would help sway opinions too. I would go your route versus a new pulse kit, if they were comparable. Just makes financial sense.

As for vgt, a used vgt plus the basic electronic controller would be less than this price. It works except for exhaust braking from what i recall from the phone call.

Fuel makes power too, so I wonder if this kit would include methanol injection or something. 90cc is good for 200-230hp, as we've seen with the dyno sheets from trucks at rallys. Squeezing more efficiency wont net much more power without additional fueling.

For the respect people have for the Moose stuff, I'm sure you could get units moving if they existed and were proven. A drop in turbo, intercooler setup would sell well if priced reasonably. Make a kit with a moose pump combo even. Camshaft? (I know your shop is a fuel shop but could outsource it).

The best advertisement is word of mouth, I've seen many sore IDIs around town. Most people with these beat up trucks don't know where to turn to but I'm sure a few guys would jump on board if you told them you could safely wake their engines up. I know if my truck was N/A and there was a kit that could get it doing 250+/500+ for up to 1500$ I'd hop on it.

1500$ is a lot of money for someone to be a test subject, when proven albiet dying sources are around. Just like the moose ip vs super moose. No supers exist, the regular is proven - so why put my neck on the chopping block (if something went wrong)?

Last edited:

hesutton

The Anti-Anderson
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Mel stated in post 21, it would be a new, different turbo. Not just an upgrade to the turbo on your truck now. Not sure why there is still confusion on that issue.

I say go for it Mel. Most of the "tire kickers" will stay in that category and will talk about "one of these days I'll buy X or Y, but really won't. If it's out there, I don't care to try it out at all. I tried the 1st set of Moose Injectors and wouldn't care to try a Moose turbo either.

I know you. I trust you. You have delivered quality to me and others time and time again. You have not lied to this forum, you have not tried to make any false claims, you've not thrown others on the forum down the stairs, or intentionally started drama here.

Keep up of the good work.

Heath

Last edited:

lilredtdi

Reaction score
Wow, I am a lucky boy! I did not realize how close you were. Just googled Delta PA. Guessing an hour and change from my location. (Near Annapolis MD) May have to make an appointment for a check up and maybe you could pinpoint some of my many leaks so i can tackle them unless I can afford to have you do it.

I also use ROCKETCHIP in Red Lion for the tuning on my TDI which is close to your location.