Major issues with multiple trucks, Engine vibration, knocking, etc

Diesel JD

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Learn as much as you can from your Grandpa...nothing like hands on experience especially with something like diesels. A bad injection pump can cause all kinds of problems. As far as the alleged "G" code injectors...if they are truly remanufactured, the letter code probably doesn't matter. Hopefully they have really been remanned to "G" specs. Diesel care has had some good reports on here, but some not so good reports as well. Sand in the injectors would be really bad... could cause a lot of damage... As far as the wrist pin problem with a non turbo motor with a turbo....its possible but I doubt it. A lot of guys here have aftermarket turbos on both 6.9 and 7.3 IH motors with no problems. I'd say a 7.3 can easily take the 13psi it got early in its life...never mind the anemic 6psi its getting now. You just wouldn't want to go a whole lot higher than 13. I suggest getting the new injection pump from a local injection shop or shopping around online a bit. Diesel care has had enough negative feedback to make me wary of them just a little.

towcat

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
How do you check the DMF to find out for sure that its bad?
the part of the flywheel that has the ring gear is the fixed part. scribe a reference line on it. the part that has the disc and pressure plate is the floating part. Rotate the floating part to either right or left lock position and scribe to the reference. rotate to the opposite lock and scribe to the reference once more. measure the distance between the two marks. 1/2" is minimum 5/8" is maximum.
I've said it before and I'll say it again. Bad IP's are the main reason why dmf's are replaced needlessly. Make absolutely sure you IP is good before replacing the dmf.
PS...welcome to the site;Sweet

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
First off get rid of the rebuilt injectors and buy new ones. They aren't that much more money and new is far better than rebuilt especially form Diesel Care. The guy has really screwed over several members here. Some members have good results with them but at least you know. Now, injection pumps don't last much longer than 100,000 miles so get a rebuilt from someone that knows what they are doing. DIS in Texas or Midwest Fuel Injection are really good places to start. Next you will need a return line kit. They cost about $30.00. Next you need to really keep things real clean. I use white sergical gloves and change them when I see dirt. 35 lbs is what the injectors need for torque. Good luck and post back for more help. Its free here only.:thumbsup:

69oiler

I don't feel tardy
Reaction score
it absorbs some of the vibration that is inherent in the diesel engine. the cast aluminum ZF5 is not the strongest tranny in the world. still, some guys are running solid flywheels in front of them.

i know with my T19 there is bigtime gear noise. it just goes with the territory on a 21 year old truck.

Exekiel69

Reaction score
it's supposed to lessen the gear noise and keep the ZF5 from destroying itself. Non-turbo trucks have them too.

I didn't know this, maybe wouldn't have bought a SMF Myself. Do You think the vibration is the reason? I used mine for the last 25k miles, the only thing I really don't like is the ceramic clutch in reverse.

towcat

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I didn't know this, maybe wouldn't have bought a SMF Myself. Do You think the vibration is the reason? I used mine for the last 25k miles, the only thing I really don't like is the ceramic clutch in reverse.
Ez-
I have yet to see a ZF that has been killed due to a solid flywheel. The odds of me seeing one is very good due to the fact I have involvement with a transmission shop. But there is that story floating around out there though and people who do think of doing the solid job need to be aware of that potential problem. If and when I do ever see one, you can bet I will be taking lots of pics and posting:D

tonkadoctor

Full Access Member
Reaction score
:dunno I thought the DMF was to absorb the shock load that a diesel can give to the clutch and tranny, like when you shut off a diesel it stops turning really quickly vs how a gasser shuts off.

oldmisterbill

Grumpy Old Man
Reaction score
The injectors were purchased from Deisel Care and Performance off of Ebay. They were advertised as G code injectors, with a no questions core return of the old G code injectors, but only 1 of the 8 was a genuine original G code injector. The other 7 were at one time an E code injector that they stamped over, to in tern "scratch out" the E code, and stamped their own G code on them.

MY MY funny thing I have heard that name B4:backoff .They sure seem to be in the middle a lot.:rotflmao

Agnem

Using the Force!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The only thing the DMF is there for is to abate noise at low RPM's, say below 1200. You won't destroy a ZF with a SMF. If your truck sounds like a bunch of sqeaks and clatter when you shut it off, it's a good bet your DMF is toast.

82fordtruck

Reaction score
MY MY funny thing I have heard that name B4:backoff .They sure seem to be in the middle a lot.:rotflmao

If memory serves me correctly, you're the one with the good story about those folks.

I wouldn't assume that the injectors are good, and the IP and/or DMF sound bad to me as well.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Vincent

Members online