1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Looking for fusible links!!!!

Discussion in '6.9L IH & 7.3L IDI Diesels' started by mexicanjoe, Sep 7, 2019.

1. typ4

typ4 Supporting Member Supporting Member

Get it fixed then tackle the glow plug wires in the 12 way, those are always burnt. Bad design.
    Please dont hack fix the wiring , or your truck may burn with great gusto.

And this is a 15 minute diag and fix for the next time.
    Im biased, wiring is my thing so its very frustrating to read all the posts that dont even try to fix the issue.

The_Josh_Bear likes this.
  2. dgr

dgr Full Access Member

Pretty sure the red with green wire runs through that plug

3. onetonjohn

onetonjohn Full Access Member

Is this from factory manual, or something else? I've got an 86, and I need detail like this fir my truck.

4. mexicanjoe

mexicanjoe Full Access Member

I still dont understand why I have less than 9 volts on some of the wiring coming from , what appears to be the firewall. If it didnt have current then I know which circuit had a short. But when you show 6 to 9 volts on a digital meter that tells me either a resistor is in line or something is wrong.........that coupled with arthritis, it is a chore...... if anyone has ideas, Im all ears!!!!

5. typ4

Did you do what I suggested?

Thewespaul likes this.
  6. pcwizzy16

pcwizzy16 Registered User

I can't imagine how the voltage can get as low as 6v-9v, unless you have a massive draw somewhere.

7. franklin2

franklin2 Full Access Member

Dirt and rust. Make sure to take a reading with your meter on the negative post of the battery. If it's better on the battery, but 6 to 9v when you use the engine ground or the body ground, you have a dirty rusty ground connection somewhere.

If your ground checks out, you have a bad connection somewhere. Check your fuse box. Does it have 6 to 9v in it? Use the diagram above and logically measure the different circuits.

Half the fuse box is 12v all the time. The other half is key-on and goes through the keyswitch. Measure a hot all the time part, like the brake fuse or the running light fuse. If you have 12v there, you are good and you need to check the key-on circuits.

So turn the key to run and check in the fuse box for voltage on the key-on circuits. If they are 6-9v, then you know there is more than likely something wrong with the keyswitch side of the power feed. You can then drop the column down and poke the keyswitch, if it has 12v coming in and only 9v coming out you know it's no good or the plug in is no good.

8. franklin2

franklin2 Full Access Member

That is the factory official EVTM troubleshooting manual for a 1986. It has the diesel and the gas all in there. Here's a link if you need it.

http://www.garysgaragemahal.com/1986-evtm.html

dgr likes this.
  9. raydav

raydav Full Access Member

10. mexicanjoe

typ4 I took your advice....I found the fried wire and looped around it... it works like a champ! thanks for the help

11. IDIBRONCO

IDIBRONCO IDIBRONCO

So where was it at? Curiosity and all...

12. mexicanjoe

IDIBRONCO I found the burned wire in the 12 wire connector just between the starter solenoid and the engine..... i found it burned in two so I replaced it and now mexicanjoe is very happy! Took a lot of time with a voltmeter and paperclips to figure out which wires were toast...... My next project is to fit a replacement sliding rear window, add some pencil beam driving lights( to help locate errant deer that like to jump in front of the vehicle) a possible glasspack muffler, a new steering box, and finally a new front seat.......more to follow

13. IDIBRONCO

IDIBRONCO IDIBRONCO

I HATE those! Other than bright headlights, my solution is to just drive 50-55 locally (speed limit 65) close to or after dark. I feel that it gives me a few extra seconds to react. It has paid off with several close calls that sure could have been collisions if I had been going faster.

14. mexicanjoe

south of here they are so thick, you cant help but hit one... everyone here has a "deer story" to tell......I use pencil beams when there are no vehicles approaching me at night. At times you can go 20 - 30 miles without seeing another vehicle......years ago I can remember driving 50 + miles and no vehicles.
    BTW my battery light keeps coming on and off after I fixed the problem wiring.. I guess I have a loose wire somewhere. Other than that ol' Lulu Belle is running good.

15. typ4

Wiring is my thing.
    You are welcome.