Looking for fusible links!!!!

mexicanjoe

Full Access Member
Reaction score
i May have fried a fusible link on my 89 F250 but I cant locate them. Can anybody help. Need truck for Monday job!!! TIA!

franklin2

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Do you know what color it is? All a fusible link consists of is a undersized wire with special fire resistant insulation around it. I have heard some stores carry it on a roll, they just cut a piece off and sell it you you, and you insert it back in your wiring.

The colors determine what size it is.

franklin2

Full Access Member
Reaction score
fuseable links.
think about it bud.
they defuse at a certain amperage.
just put a fuse in it.
readily available!
or hard wire it.
whats up buddy!

You can use fuses, but they have to be pretty big and bulky. I like fusible links, they are nice and compact and can be protected easily from dirt and water. A little 30 amp fuse is not going to be large enough for most fusible link circuits. 60 amp and up are what ballpark you are in. Mega fuse would work.

Kizer

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
You must be registered for see images attach

It's a 40 amp fuse ... comes with comes with 8 gauge (I believe) pig tales about 6" long ... about $11 at O'Reilly. ((EDIT: Part # MAH1 Line: (Lit) made by Littlefuse)) I also disable that stupid heater on every truck ... not convinced that it does anything good.[/QUOTE]

dgr

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I think he's looking for the location on the truck. Most of mine are off the starter and glow plug relays. Looks like, based on the pic @franklin2 provided, there are also two off of the headlight switch.

What isn't working now that you think is fed with a fusible link?

mexicanjoe

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Right now I get no power to each of the electrical connections to the driver side of the injector pump... NONE! The engine cranks over but does not fire up....
Earlier I accidentally ground the hot side of the alternator (not good).
Now there is no juice to the IP.... HELP!!!!

dgr

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Do you have a 7.3 glow plug controller? Is it working?

Does the wait to start light work?

Trace the red with green to the engine harness connector and check both sides for power. Do the same for the black with pink wire.

mexicanjoe

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Power to headlights and cab and dash lights. Glow plug lights activate then turn off like normal . My question is: which of the wires going to the top of IP are energized when you crank and run the engine. Right now I have NO power either starting much less when the key is on the “run position”.... running out of time and options.... I have the necessary credit to go buy a new truck but that will put off retirement ☹️

dgr

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Cold, all three wires have power.

You only need to run a wire from your battery to the shutoff solenoid to make it run..... Cheaper than a new truck payment

IDIoit

MachinistFabricator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
You can use fuses, but they have to be pretty big and bulky. I like fusible links, they are nice and compact and can be protected easily from dirt and water. A little 30 amp fuse is not going to be large enough for most fusible link circuits. 60 amp and up are what ballpark you are in. Mega fuse would work.
I don't have 1 fuseable link in my truck...

Tumbleweed210

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Had the same issue...and it turned out to be one of the Maxi-fuses in the under hood "distribution box". You should be able to Google a diagram for your year/model.

mexicanjoe

Full Access Member
Reaction score
dgr, which one is that one??? The one closest to the front of the rear connection? Pics please!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ramtough01

Members online