Looking for an IDI

payableondeath6

Impressively Ugly
Reaction score
flatlander: email me at payableondeath62 at hotmail.com (i think i've seen the brown truck before, just refresh my memory)

GRuss: email me with some info. i haven't seen the marketplace info, i'll try to look when i get a chance

Darrin Tosh: that's a very nice looking truck. what all is needed in the front end? what's up with the exhaust (just loud, leak, any idea where the leak is)? shoot me an email

thanks guys...can't wait til my truck sells and i've got the actual cash in hand to shop...should be in about a week (truck should sell sunday) ;Sweet

TLBREWER

Windy B Ranch
Reaction score
Darrin

If I hadn't just bought a new one, I'd be interested in that! At this point, bringing another truck home would be like comitting suicide.

Toom

Exekiel69

Reaction score
Darrin if I had the money I'd buy it myself, very nice truck. How many miles? btw, Darrin is right I doubt You could find a truck with turbo and this good looking for 2k.

82fordtruck

Reaction score
2k is a hell of a price for Darrin's truck. I'm going to ask 4500 - 5k for my 94 when I get the title back (just paid it off). I was thinking of asking $1500 for my 82 (not a diesel and not in as good a shape as darrin's), and I expect those to sell fast.

Double-S-Diesel

parts seller
Reaction score
Darrins truck looks to be a good deal.
Gruss's truck is also a smokin deal well worth the $$$ I know I have worked on it and tuned it my self.
of course there is also my 92 , but its just a little out of that range.

Darrin Tosh

IDI Hound
Reaction score
Darrin Tosh: that's a very nice looking truck. what all is needed in the front end? what's up with the exhaust (just loud, leak, any idea where the leak is)? shoot me an email

Figure on ball joints, u joints, and shocks. You are probablly looking at spending $500.00 plus tires to get it up to ***** and make it a daily driver. Haven't looked at the exhaust but it actually sounds good! I think there is a hole in the down pipe, not shure though, like I said, I bought the truck this morning, drove the it for 5 miles and parked it, just today.

If at all possible, and you don't need 4x4 take a serous look at Gruss's truck. That is one that you can get in and drive every day without doing any mechanical work right off the batt. Also don't tell him but it is priced too cheap.

I will be diving into the 85 by next Tuesday, getting stuff fixed on it. once I get it done It will be up for sale for around $4,250.00 So basically the offer stands untill then.

Darrin if I had the money I'd buy it myself, very nice truck. How many miles? btw, Darrin is right I doubt You could find a truck with turbo and this good looking for 2k

Hey EZ not shure on the miles with a 5 digit od, could be anything, I think the OD says 55K, Could be 155 or 255.

I don't see the Lariat badges...

Yup there hard to see in the pics because they are not RED anymore. They are located on the between the front and rear windows, near the bottom of the ex cab window. Just a chrome rectangle. It is a Lariat.

tonkadoctor

Full Access Member
Reaction score
the wife and i are looking at trying to find a truck for under $2k so we can put the rest of the money from the sale of our F150 towards the plastic cancer

Be very very carefull. I'm hoping you find a great deal on a nice truck and not a "get what you pay for deal" A $2000 diesel truck can easily become a money pit and "project" and negate any progress you make toward the plastic cancer.

I may be wise to up the ante some when you find one that has goodies like
  • new tires...........a $600 value if you have to replace 4 of them soon and an easy $1k on a dually:Sly
  • a Wiring harness not all chopped up and spliced into by an 18 year old to add a sterio or lights. $1000 bonus for no electrical nightmare.:hail
  • Recently professionally rebuilt or a new engine with receipts $2k & up;Sweet
  • true low miles, owned by grandpa and waxed every week $1000 in bonus cool points:thumbsup:
  • no rust on a 15 to 20 year old truck:love:..............Priceless, you'll be glad you did when you're not getting wet in a rainstorm due to rusted out floorboards and you'll be even happier when you do have to turn a wrench on it and you're not snapping bolts or wiping rust out of your eyes or spitting it out when it gets that perfect aim and drops into your mouth while under the truck.-cuss
The good deals are out there so look hard and carefully. Good luck

82fordtruck

Reaction score
Tonka' got some good advice. I paid 5k for my truck two years ago, and spend almost that same amount in six months repairing it. Luckily it was a business write of, but still, that's a lot of money.

troutwest66

Ricer-Roni The IDI Treat
Reaction score
82fordtruck said:
Tonka' got some good advice. I paid 5k for my truck two years ago, and spend almost that same amount in six months repairing it. Luckily it was a business write of, but still, that's a lot of money.

I did the same thing. $5600 for the factory turbo diesel and another $4200 in body work including spray in bedliner for $325. Then there was the re-cored radiator when I got it home and I had to put OEM bumpers on it, replace the A/C condenser.... You get the idea. I have a good truck but I will never take on a project like this again. It's been a daily driver as soon as I got the radiator fixed so it never left me stranded. There's still more I want / need to do but most of that now is performance mods. Although I would like to redo the interior. I do as much as I can through the wrecking yard. I have saved a bundle on mechanical and body parts. I do buy mostly new mechanical stuff because buying some things used is buying someone else's headaches.

82fordtruck

Reaction score
Let's see - bought it with no AC and broken windshield. Got windshield fixed - $150. Needed hoses, evaporator, condensor, and freon - $800 in parts. Radiator shot - $400. Fan clutch bad - $300. Brakes were gone and one disconnected - $1000.Carrier bearing - $100. Tires - $1000. Batteries - $150. Glow Plugs - $150. Battery Cables - $100.

This is all off the top of my head, within the first six months of ownership. After all that, it got a lot cheaper to own, and was enjoyable, but I was tempted to drive it off a cliff for a little while.

What we're trying to say is trust your intuitions on these things. I didn't, I was disappointed when I saw it, but didn't want to get back on a 15 hour greyhound ride, and bought the thing anyway. It was a good truck, but I could have gotten a lot more truck for what I paid very soon after owning it. I wouldn't consider owning a truck that hasn't been a daily driver, or one with goofy wiring problems, or one that has lots of stuff broken or not working. Pay the extra money up front.

payableondeath6

Impressively Ugly
Reaction score
i bought my F150 for $3500 and have only put money into mods (other than the rebuilt transmission)...all in all i've got like $7.5k in it but it's been great...just not enough truck for the horse trailer and future plans. like i said earlier i'm just looking for something to get me by the next couple years and get me a little experience in the diesel world, so it won't become a project (unless once i graduate i get a little more free time and fall in love with her :D ). we'll see what sunday brings with my truck