Looking for an IDI

troutwest66

Ricer-Roni The IDI Treat
Reaction score
payableondeath6 said:
i bought my F150 for $3500 and have only put money into mods (other than the rebuilt transmission)...all in all i've got like $7.5k in it but it's been great...just not enough truck for the horse trailer and future plans. like i said earlier i'm just looking for something to get me by the next couple years and get me a little experience in the diesel world, so it won't become a project (unless once i graduate i get a little more free time and fall in love with her :D ). we'll see what sunday brings with my truck

You see, this is the problem. cookoo We fall in love with these trucks and we can't stop ourselves from throwing money at them. :angel: I always tell my wife when it comes to time and money concerning my truck, fly fishing and hunting... at least I'm not at the bars or chasing women and the family is always welcome to join me! :D

tonkadoctor

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You see, this is the problem. cookoo We fall in love with these trucks and we can't stop ourselves from throwing money at them.

Exactly, These old trucks can take so much abuse that you can't help love them.

The other side of the coin is that almost everything in the powertrain costs 2 to 3 times as much to fix as it does on a gas F150 when it breaks, granted most of the power train will last 2 to 3 times longer when taken care of too in these heavy old trucks.

Also some states like NC require commercial weighted tags, which cost more, on these trucks unlike the F100 or the F150's I used to own.

I paid $5k for my dually "the All American" which is more than book but it also had alot of goodies and is rock solid. Here's why I paid more.....
  • 6 new 10 ply commercial tires
  • Custom aluminum wheels
  • No rust
  • No leaks anywhere
  • truck fired right up the first try stone cold
  • Original drivetrain with no mods & nothing cobbled
  • Diamond plate aluminum tool box
  • Diamond plate bed rail protectors
  • New Sony sterio
  • New Polk Speakers
  • Straight Body
  • Ran, drove and handeled excellent
  • Doesn't smoke black OR blue
  • AC blew ice cold
  • All power windows & locks work
  • Wiring harness isn't all chopped up
Now for the fun stuff, I had to play.....
  • $320 for different rear gears as a fuel milage experiment, thankfully it worked well
  • $140 Put 2 new batteries in it as the previous owner was running one, makes a big difference in how they start.
  • $160 for some new F-600 west coast mirrors and brackets because I can't stand not being able to see past the bubble butt
  • FREE Soup bowl taken out (prolly cost me $5 worth of electricity running my 7 hp 60 gallon air compressor)
  • $40 for some Bully steps so I can get my crippled butt into it and my 8 year old can now enter with ease too.
Future fun stuff and it can't become a project truck because it's my daily driver.
  • Start replacing old fuel lines as a preventative measure
  • Custom Paint later this fall, Not to $$$ for me because I was a professional bodyman in the 80's and still dabble a little to keep in practice
  • 92 and up front clip because I like the looks better
  • Heim joint mod soon
  • mechanical gauges
  • etc...............................................:eek:
This old truck is reliable enough for me to not hesitate to hook up a trailer and just jump in it and take a 3000 mile trip to Texas and back like I'm doing next week.

TLBREWER

Windy B Ranch
Reaction score
Tonkadoctor

THAT is a beautiful truck. I'm very partial to the '87-91's (course I have two). I like the interior better than the one that was in my '92.

Tom

tonkadoctor

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Tonkadoctor

THAT is a beautiful truck. I'm very partial to the '87-91's (course I have two). I like the interior better than the one that was in my '92.

Tom
Thanks Tom,

Prolly not as pretty as the '06 you just bought.

She'll be looking like new when she gets a fresh coat of paint and the seat recovered (small tear on the drivers side as normal, rest is very good). I think a slightly deeper red metalic with a rose red pearl in the clear will look good. Not sure if I want to spend the bucks on a front clip as I'm starting to like this flat nose.

payableondeath6

Impressively Ugly
Reaction score
well my truck didn't sell on ebay this sunday :mad: but i did get a couple emails from people here in columbus that are interested in it, so i emailed them my cell # and we'll see if anyone calls within the next couple days. might stop by wallyworld and slap a for sale sign in her to drive around too. i'll keep you guys posted.

i realize all the stuff is more expensive to buy, but as mentioned it last longer ;Sweet plans for this truck would be as a hold over til i can buy something newer, then it'll be retired to farm truck on the land we should be buying here soon (something else i went to look at this weekend :Sly )

fx4wannabe

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I doubt she'll get retired. If you buy the right truck you'll never want anything else, except maybe another one.

Darrin Tosh

IDI Hound
Reaction score
Well I sold the 86 today, I had a guy call me on this truck,..

http://www.dandlautosales.com/detail.asp?stock=617

but I sold that one last week, So I told him about the 86, He came and bought it for $2800.00, and that I feel was a real good deal.

If I run across another one I will let you know, but anything that is half way diesent for under 2K is darn hard to find.

Good Luck,
Darrin

payableondeath6

Impressively Ugly
Reaction score
thanks darrin for the opportunity, i believe it was a heck of a deal too. wish my truck would've sold. so i still haven't heard anything back from anybody yet, may have to try selling it the conventional (long) way :(

Russ

Idont do injectors
Reaction score
I have a local guy looking at mine right now. IF he passes, I'll send you more info. Russ

payableondeath6

Impressively Ugly
Reaction score
okay...like i said i'm still trying to sell my truck...so if you guys know anyone interested in a good running, lifted, couple mods 1998 F150 for $3000-$3200 let me know...got a couple people looking but you know how that goes.