Looking for an IDI

payableondeath6

Impressively Ugly
Reaction score
Okay...so this is my first "real" post hear...been lurking here and at "the stop" for a little while. i've currently got a 98 F150 that's listed on ebay...i'm hoping to get out of that and into a diesel (for horse trailer towing and daily driving). the wife and i are looking at trying to find a truck for under $2k so we can put the rest of the money from the sale of our F150 towards the plastic cancer (credit cards). i've found a couple decent looking prospects but i was wondering if anyone knew of any cheap, reliable (has to run good, but doesn't have to look it :D ) trucks for sale? i'm in Columbus, OH but i'm willing to travel to get it (bought the F150 off ebay in Boston, MA, flew out there and drove the 11hrs back the same day. i'm just asking on here cause i know the best deals on a good/cheap truck are going to be local sales rather than internet listings (although i've found the couple i've got on the 'net)...plus you idi guru's can tell what condition they're in better than me ;Sweet so i apologize to any moderators if this is against the rules and you can delete it if indeed it is. thanks guys, any help or trucks you know of i'll gladly accept.

troutwest66

Ricer-Roni The IDI Treat
Reaction score
I can't help with listings but be sure you educate yourself on what to look for with the IDI motors. The usual stuff like coolant additives, bad glowplugs, lots of smoke, regular maintenance by PO, etc. I spent 8 months looking for my truck so I understand looking on a budget. Good luck on your search.

fx4wannabe

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I picked up my truck in VA for $2500. Its a 93 7.3 with 350,000 on it but it still runs decent. Have had to put a bunch of money in it and I am probably in it for about $6000 by now. From what I am learning a 6.9L might be your better bet. I have a friend that has one for sale but I am not sure what he wants for it. Probably around $3500-$4000 and its here in TN.

IDIeselman

Reaction score
Check the market place on this site, scroll down on the main page that brought you here. A member has one listed asking 3500 but you can bet it's been taken care of so you to wont have to sink alot of money into it after you buy. Tim

payableondeath6

Impressively Ugly
Reaction score
yeah i've read every post about what to look for (courtesy of everyone else's posts on "is this a good deal" kind thing) and i've been looking at new (to me) trucks for about 6 months, but now we're selling our truck and getting serious. so my truck should be sold by this sunday night and then i should have money by at latest a week after that...so it's finally time to get into a diesel (i hope). i'm really just looking for something that'll get me through for another year and a half to two years til i graduate from college (OSU), then both my wife and i will be graduated (she already is) and we can afford something a little newer (although i may still hold onto the IDI if it's decent).

i'd really like to keep it around $2k or under cause i'd like to pay off a big hunk of the credit cards.

Dsl_Dog_Treat

I lost my face to the jaws of a poodle
Reaction score
Of course welcome to the site.
Might want to check with Darrin Tosh as he's our local IDI hound and rumor has it, he just acquired another one. :eek:
Might be worth checking into. ;Sweet

flatlander

plays dirty when losing
Reaction score
Come to Ft Wayne, I have just the truck for you for just the price you're looking to pay.

I'll email you some pics.

According to this site, I can't send you emails.

Barney

Last edited:

Russ

Idont do injectors
Reaction score
You may have seen my post in the marketplace . It's a little more money,(but negotiable) but I'd have no problems driving it anywhere. I'll be out of town this weekend. If you're interested I'll be home Sunday afternoon. Just drop me a PM. Russ

Darrin Tosh

IDI Hound
Reaction score
Hey Mr Death, Welcome to the site, lets see how serous you are,

I have a 1986 F250 4x4 Ex Cab Speed with a Banks Turbo. I just picked up the truck today, and drove it 5 mies back to my lot. It is an XLT Lariat so it has the power windows, locks, ac (works) CD, Tilt, Cruise (didn't try that) Turbo Boost and Pyro guages. The interior os in great condition, and the body is in real good condition for the year. It origionally came from Oregon, so it is a real solid truck.

It needs tires, and will need front end work, and the exhaust is a little loud.

But if you are interested in it I would sell it for $2,000.00 Most here will agree with me that that is cheap!, I know I have sold a bunch of them. If I get it ready to sell and sink some money into it, it will be advertised for around $4 to $4500.

Here are some pics, let me know what you think.
Darrin

Attachments

• SV500016.JPG
    SV500016.JPG
    63.4 KB · Views: 132
  • SV500017.JPG
    SV500017.JPG
    62.1 KB · Views: 126
  • SV500018.JPG
    SV500018.JPG
    61.3 KB · Views: 126
  • SV500019.JPG