Looking at a truck. Opinions?

Macrobb

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Pushing it to driver's side will retard it. Passenger's side is advanced. Chances are, it needs more advance overall due to all the worn bits in the IP and injectors. Idle can be clattery; it's how it performs under load that matters the most; that's what you should adjust for.

jeepj667

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Pushing it to driver's side will retard it. Passenger's side is advanced. Chances are, it needs more advance overall due to all the worn bits in the IP and injectors. Idle can be clattery; it's how it performs under load that matters the most; that's what you should adjust for.
With the fuel leak I never put it all back together to try under load. It's still all apart. I'm just waiting on the new IP and injectors before I put it back together.

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk

jeepj667

Full Access Member
Reaction score
While waiting for parts to arrive, I started looking into the wiring fiasco this truck has. It has a push button for the glow plugs that I wanted to check how it was wired. Apparently the glow plugs controller/solenoid used to be on the back of the intake. It is missing entirely. He ran a 12g wire from the two yellow terminal (always hot) to one side the the switch and the two glow plugs leads to the other side. No fuses, straight through a hole in the firewall, no grommet.
I'm thinking of getting a standard solenoid and mounting it somewhere on the driver's fender to run the glow plugs off of.
It had a remote start button on the dash too. It was wired directly to the two main lugs on the starter solenoid. Again, no fuses, grommet less hole.
I removed it entirely.
I need a new oil pressure sender. I grounded the guage and it works. The sender is a ***** to get out without removing the turbo.
Noticed I have some play in the water pump too.

79jasper

Chickenhawk
Reaction score
If your doing anything oil pressure related, forget about the junk stock system and get a aftermarket gauge. Rather electric or mechanical.

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk

chillman88

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
What a hack. You're lucky to have a truck and not a pile of charred metal.

I'd have to go over everything if I found a mess like that. Sounds like you have an idea what you're doing though so that's good.

Just make sure whatever solenoid you use is up to the current rating. I blew a 100 or 150 amp fuse on my glow plug circuit. Can't remember which. Pretty sure there's a 200amp on mine now with no issues.

jeepj667

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If your doing anything oil pressure related, forget about the junk stock system and get a aftermarket gauge. Rather electric or mechanical.

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk
It has Autometer Sport Comp: oil pressure, water temperature, pyro, and boost guages.

jeepj667

Full Access Member
Reaction score
What a hack. You're lucky to have a truck and not a pile of charred metal.

I'd have to go over everything if I found a mess like that. Sounds like you have an idea what you're doing though so that's good.

Just make sure whatever solenoid you use is up to the current rating. I blew a 100 or 150 amp fuse on my glow plug circuit. Can't remember which. Pretty sure there's a 200amp on mine now with no issues.
I figured I'd get the same solenoid that it has for the starter.

sjwelds

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I don't think that solenoid is able to handle the current that the glow plugs draw. There's a write-up on here somewhere about a HD solenoid. White-rodgers or stancor I believe was the brand.

jeepj667

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I don't think that solenoid is able to handle the current that the glow plugs draw. There's a write-up on here somewhere about a HD solenoid. White-rodgers or stancor I believe was the brand.
Ok. I'll try to find it. Thanks.

lotzagoodstuff

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score

It's made by White Rodgers now, this is the one I just installed on my Powerstroke, I believe it's the same but somebody else will chime in to confirm if the IDI and PSD are the same upgrade.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00DE3HY4K/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o08_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

jeepj667

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Isn't there supposed to be a temp sensor there?
Where could I order such a beast?
You must be registered for see images attach

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
IDIBronco86

Staff online

Members online