Looking at a truck. Opinions?

jeepj667

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well googling turned up newer idi's didn't have the hard line, just a brass tee. I'll have to see what I can find locally.

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk

jeepj667

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Got her all back together yesterday and she's running great.
Boost guage still isn't working for some reason. I put a new air tube on it. The old one had oily sludge in the first few inches of it. I'm thinking the orifice in the intake snail may still be clogged.

jeepj667

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Got her licensed yesterday. Pressure washed it real good at work, it was really grungy. Have at least two oil leaks. One is the fuel pump block off plate. Other is passenger side rear, possibly valve cover.
Also have fluid (oil or fuel?) in the valley pan right below the IP. Need to take the intake box back off and try to identify where it's coming from.

DrCharles

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Block-off plate, as I learned on this board, is a notorious leak spot. The rounded ends of the plate (top or bottom) are usually JUST long enough to interfere with a casting edge, so the plate doesn't sit flat on the gasket.

I had a passenger side valve cover leak that drove me nuts. Finally found that one of the bolt holes (in the rebuilt heads I'd bought) had some crap in the bottom and although torqued to factory spec, was not holding the clamp tight against the cover. Cleaned and chased the hole - no more leak!

Well, at that spot, anyway. The IDI even beats my two BMW M62 V8's for "leakiest sumbitch ever made" as someone once posted on a BMW forum.

79jasper

Chickenhawk
Reaction score
Leak in valley pan would have to be fuel.
Could be injector pump weep hole, could be a return line, injector line.

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk

jeepj667

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So... I guess I get to see how R&D's warranty service is. The pump is definitely leaking I can't tell where exactly but the plunger on the driver's side bottom seems to be the culprit. All the injector lines are completely dry. But the valley pan is full of fuel and it doused my undercarriage and trailer today.
You must be registered for see images attach

jeepj667

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Got a hold of Justin. He said his pump guy is off for two weeks. Told me to try to determine exactly where it's leaking and that it might be an o-ring I could just replace myself.

Now to try to find the leak. It leaks much worse when it's hot.

Thewespaul

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Probably the advance plunger arm is leaking on that side, hose it down with brake clean and start it up, you should be able to see it start to drip off the arm or from the bottom of the pump with a mechanics mirror.

jeepj667

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Probably the advance plunger arm is leaking on that side, hose it down with brake clean and start it up, you should be able to see it start to drip off the arm or from the bottom of the pump with a mechanics mirror.
What seals that? Is it just an easy o-ring I can do myself?

Thewespaul

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
You can see the seal here, it’s a square cut o ring usually Viton (brown) or a fluoropolymer (green) material depending on the builder, I’m not sure what Justin’s builder uses so it could be anything.

Yes you can replace it, but if the truck is not a daily driver I would have it sent to Justin to be repaired. Ask him to do a leak down test so you are sure there are no other compromised o rings, this is done by filling the pump with diesel, plugging all the inlets and outlets to the pump, and placing it in a vacuum chamber.

jeepj667

Full Access Member
Reaction score
That's part of the problem. Justin said it would be at least two weeks before it would even possibly be looked at. I need the truck starting next Saturday for two weeks while I'm on vacation. I'm building a cabin.
I really have no available time this week either to tear into it. I'll probably have to live with the leak until after vacation.

jeepj667

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Finally got the truck back home from the other property. Going to pull the IP and send it to R&D.
Appear to have blown a power steering line on the way home. Need to do some searching to find where exactly.
Finally found a fan shroud, shipped from Michigan, going to install that and the new fan clutch.
Also found a f-150 locally with a flat bed for $200. Going to steal the bed and most the front clip to replace my rusted dented panels.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
William88

Members online