Looking at a truck. Opinions?

jeepj667

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So... Just test drive the truck. A couple of worries.
After starting cold at idle it was lightly smoking white. Driving it was blowing white on acceleration. After about 15-20 minutes driving it cleared up and I could get it to puff some black if I romped on it.
He said he replaced injectors last year but has never timed it. Seems to rev a little lumpy off idle too.
What do the experts think?

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk

Hydro-idi

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Ask him where the injectors came from.
He likely put cheapo reman injectors in it, so it’ll probably need new squirters and injection pump from Conestoga diesel or typ4 aka Russ.
White smoke does sound like a timing issue, or crap injectors that are dribbling bad.

jeepj667

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Also, the fuel level in the bottom of the duralift goes up and down, up and down at idle.

jeepj667

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Injectors were from rockauto. Delphi injectors.

jeepj667

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Could it still be injectors if it clears up after running a while?

JAKRANCH

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If it clears up after a while it might be air intrusion through the return lines. Multiple of mine habe done that

jeepj667

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Y'all where too late. I brought it home. Blowing white smoke most of the three hours home. Still has more power than my NA 6.9. Figure I'll order injectors and pump from Conestoga. Then get it timed correctly.
It also started blowing oil everywhere on the way back. I don't think it had been driven that hard in a long time. It looks like it is coming out the back of the timing cover/ below the injection pump. Oil is like water.

Danielle

No, it's not finished
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'm a full supporter of everyone buying everything so congratulations and I hope this turns out to be a fun and stress free project!

Also photos!

Sent from my VS835 using Tapatalk

chillman88

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I wouldn't even drive it again without changing the oil. Whatever brand 15w40 you choose (Some prefer Mobil Delvac which actually has a mail in rebate right now) and use an FL1995 Motorcraft filter for the powerstroke. It holds an extra quart and filters better than the stock filter. If it's that thin who knows what's in it now.

Just remember, anything can be fixed. It just takes money and patience and time.

Pinpoint your oil leak and post up a couple pictures. There's lots of great people on here that will help you figure it out.

jeepj667

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks. I will be changing the oil first thing. Is there a fan shroud available for the wide radiator? It's kind of hairy balancing on the front bumper leaning over that spinning fan while looking for the oil leak. [emoji32]

We ended up paying $2000. Knowing it was going to need work. We just really liked the crew cab.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ramtough01

Members online