Looking at a truck. Opinions?

jeepj667

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Ok. I finally got to tear into the truck today. Did a compression test on 7 of the cylinders. Couldn't get the fitting in the right rear without removing the turbo. I had two at ~350 and the rest were ~400.
I also found a lot of fuel leaks. Replaced an injector return cap. Tightened a couple injectors. The biggest problem is the line from the filter to the IP leaks like a sieve. The filter end I picked out the olive the other end has no seal.
I'm pretty sure now my huge oil leak was actually mostly fuel washing down the engine.

I'm about to order IP and injectors from Conestoga or R&D. Just not sure what exactly I should get. What say you?

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk

jeepj667

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I also turned the IP back so now the timing mark on the pump is just to the pass side of the engine mark. It was probably two dimes to passenger.
There also are some loose wires around cyl.1 injector. I don't know where they are meant to go.
And there is a goober of silicone on top of the filter head?
You must be registered for see images attach
You must be registered for see images attach

79jasper

Chickenhawk
Reaction score
My recommendation is Conestoga. He's more of a stand up guy, and faster/better customer service.
There's also typ4 on here.

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk

D_Fresh361

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
My recommendation is Conestoga. He's more of a stand up guy, and faster/better customer service.
There's also typ4 on here.

I second this. Customer service was great! Never had any luck with R & D but others here have.

D_Fresh361

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I second this. Customer service was great! Never had any luck with R & D but others here have.

I tried to make contact with Justin (R & D) when I was in the market and got the cold shoulder, twice. Being fully aware that it was a side gig at the time I still didn't have time for all that bs. I have read good things about his products though...

chillman88

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I also found a lot of fuel leaks. Replaced an injector return cap. Tightened a couple injectors. The biggest problem is the line from the filter to the IP leaks like a sieve. The filter end I picked out the olive the other end has no seal.

The line from the filter to the IP I think is supposed to have an olive on both ends. Which end didn't? I know the IP side DOES.

I'd put all new o-rings in the caps and new fuel line between them. Most people just replace all the caps and lines as a kit. I'm a cheap trucker lol!

And there is a goober of silicone on top of the filter head?

That's there because the fuel heater started leaking. Very common problem on these. If it starts leaking through the silicone a pipe plug and JB weld are the strongest fix. I'd leave it alone for now myself.

79jasper

Chickenhawk
Reaction score
He said filter end had the olive, other end didn't. Lol
(Its okay, I read over stuff all the time)

gerlbaum

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Was all the white smoke from the fuel leaks? I blew a return line once and it took a few hours of driving to burn the diesel off blowing white smoke everywhere.

chillman88

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
He said filter end had the olive, other end didn't. Lol
(Its okay, I read over stuff all the time)

Yeah me too. I still manage to miss it lol! I've read stuff 4-5 times and still missed stuff!

Can you put up a picture of the IP end? Is it possible you pulled the fitting out of the pump instead of the line off the fitting?

Or are you simply saying it was missing an olive and you are going to put one in. I could be mis-reading that too!

jeepj667

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Was all the white smoke from the fuel leaks? I blew a return line once and it took a few hours of driving to burn the diesel off blowing white smoke everywhere.
I'm hoping that has a lot to do with it. I won't know for sure until I get the new parts. Right now it's still apart. I need at least the olives to seal it back up.

jeepj667

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yeah me too. I still manage to miss it lol! I've read stuff 4-5 times and still missed stuff!

Can you put up a picture of the IP end? Is it possible you pulled the fitting out of the pump instead of the line off the fitting?

Or are you simply saying it was missing an olive and you are going to put one in. I could be mis-reading that too!
Upon closer inspection there is an olive in the IP side. The upper one was all chunked and broken it was easy to tell. The lower one is so hard and smooth it looked like the metal fitting.

jeepj667

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Ordered IP and injectors from R&D today. Wanted to use Conestoga but they wouldn't have injectors for a couple weeks and cost almost $500 more then R&D.
I did order the fuel feed line from Conestoga though.

I also noticed I have 6.9 glow plugs for some reason.