Lock tumbler in steering colum

MT.EZ

Reaction score
Do I have to pull the steering wheel on a 1992 f 350 to take the tumbler out? I have taken the plastic off of the bottom of the colum and can see most of the key switch. :mad: Now how the hell do I get it out so I can put a new one in?

Roland_Jenkins

Señor Member
Reaction score
If'n there is a pin hole the tumbler will come out. You will need to disconnect the batteries. Turn the key to the on position, straighten out a paper clip, insert in the pin hole, lift tumbler out.

reklund

Full Access Member
Reaction score
RJ was right- in fact, you don't even need to remove the plastic column covers! Stick a piece of coathanger in the hole, and with the key in the "on" position, pull the cylinder straight out.

Ford stocks the new ones, either by itself, or with matching door cylinders for under $100. When I bought my truck, mine was so worn out, I couldn't ever get it to the "off" position properly. I replaced both door cylinders and the ignition cylinder. (IIRC, the door panels don't have to be removed for the door cylinders, either...)

Ryan

Mr_Roboto

Full Access Member
Reaction score
A 92 should have matched locks (one key works all locks). Take your key to a local locksmith and they will make you an ignition lock cylinder that fits your key.

Agnem

Using the Force!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
You would have to take the inside panels off and then pull the little tab that sticks out through the end of the door. It's a fork like retainer.

Mr_Roboto

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You actually don't have to pull the door panel, they are designed to change without pulling the panel. Pull your clip out, then pull out on the cylinder. Then use a screwdriver to pop the plastic arm off of the cylinder, and secure the arm and linkage so it doesn't fall back into the door (and require door panel removal to retrieve it).

MT.EZ

Reaction score
Thanks for all the replys I got the Key Tumbler out only to find it was working properly. Put it all back togeter and now works just fine.;Sweet

pigseye

Reaction score
Hi Mr. Roboto,
What do you mean with "Pull your clip out". I'm not sure what part is the "clip" on the door lock tumbler.

Thanks,

Mr_Roboto

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hi Mr. Roboto,
What do you mean with "Pull your clip out". I'm not sure what part is the "clip" on the door lock tumbler.

Thanks,

When you open the door, you will see a piece of sheet metal coming through the door at the same level as the lock cylinder. This is the metal C-clip that holds the lock cylinder in. Put a screwdriver behind the metal and pry it out and it will come right out. The lock cylinder will then pull straight out of its' hole.

You must be registered for see images attach

pigseye

Reaction score
Mr Roboto,
You are a Ford genius.

Thank You again and again and again,
Pigseye

Agnem

Using the Force!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
You actually don't have to pull the door panel, they are designed to change without pulling the panel. Pull your clip out, then pull out on the cylinder. Then use a screwdriver to pop the plastic arm off of the cylinder, and secure the arm and linkage so it doesn't fall back into the door (and require door panel removal to retrieve it).

LOL And I wonder what the odds are that a person who hasn't done this before might not have to take his door panel off. :D

02AutoWag

Reaction score
When you open the door, you will see a piece of sheet metal coming through the door at the same level as the lock cylinder. This is the metal C-clip that holds the lock cylinder in. Put a screwdriver behind the metal and pry it out and it will come right out. The lock cylinder will then pull straight out of its' hole.

You must be registered for see images attach
Bump from 2006. Just doing my part to keep good resources visible. Thank you for the picture.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nanohawk

Members online