Liquid Gasket on Intake Manifold?

cleithau

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Can you use a liquid gasket instead of the paper gasket on the intake manifold or is the paper needed for clearance?

RLDSL

Diesel fuel abuser
Reaction score
Short answer, NO
The intake manifold/ valley pan gasket, is a steel shim, both sides of the intake gasket and the pan that covers the lifter valley are one big piece. You just have to bite the bullet and pay the $$ for that thing, and when it comes, if it is bent in a crease across the intake ports, take it back and tell them to get you another one. It won't seal properly if there is a crease in the metal. It's pretty common for them to be bowed a little across the intake port area but that will straighten out, just as long as the metal isn't crimped or creased.

The thing will come with a tube of silliscum to run a bead across the front and back edge

If you get a fel pro, it's not uncommon to have to go through a few till you get one that's not damaged, I think they sleep on the packing line. I don't know how hard it is to put one piece of cardboard under and one above the dang thing before closing the box, but 4 out of 5 I get, don't have it right cookoo .

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
Ditto on the Felpro damaged intake manifold valley pans. I bought 2 from Northern Autoparts. Both were damaged. The first one was replaced by a store about 12 miles from my home... Go figure but the one that was damaged came from Northern and thats a long shipment. The second damaged one also came from Northern but the replacement came from the same nearby store. Funny too. Why can't I just buy from the store here???:dunno cookoo I use Permatex copper plus on both sides of the intake port gaskets. Its a very small amount but I feel better knowing I have something on there. On the front and back ends I use plenty of it making sure it squeezes out the right way so I can scrape it off later just before it hardens.

cleithau

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The valley pan goes between the intake manifold and the heads, and its just a metal to metal seal? So there is no paper gasket like on gas V-8's? Do they ever come off without bending them?

Is there anyway to remove the valley pan gasket without removing the injection pump, it looks like it might be possible but the book says to remove it.

How long of a job is it to replace the intake manifold gasket?

Last edited:

RLDSL

Diesel fuel abuser
Reaction score
It may come off without bending, but the raised sealing beads have already been compressed
You have a 6.9 so you most likely have 4 open coolant holes on each head facing the intake manifold that are sealed by the new intake manifold gasket. wouldn't be a great idea to try to re use it.
If you absoloutly HAD to re use one, about the only way i would attempt it would be to hand rub on a fairly thick coating of Hylomar from the tube

When I install the things new, I spray a few coats of aerosol Hylomar sealant on the facing where it seats against the heads and the intake manifold to make darn sure everything is sealed perfectly

cleithau

Full Access Member
Reaction score
How many long does it take to remove the IP, does the engine have to be re-timed afterwards?

Is there anyway to remove the valley pan gasket without removing the IP?

h2odrx

Anti-O
Reaction score
you might want to read the tech articles.

If done wrong the IP will need to be re-timed if you take your time and do it by the book it should be fine. what are you trying to do?:confused:

tractorman86

Reaction score
How many long does it take to remove the IP, does the engine have to be re-timed afterwards?

Is there anyway to remove the valley pan gasket without removing the IP?

not with out 9 kindsa headaches, just index(mark with a paint marker, or scratch with a scribe) both mounting surfaces. then take the front cover off and unbolt the pump gear, be carefull not to drop one of those little bolts, then undo the inj. lines at the injectors not the pump and you are free and clear.

Agnem

Using the Force!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
...take the front cover off ...

just so there is no confusion, he is refering to the oil fill neck, or block off plate held on by two small bolts (whichever applies to your model year). He is not refering to the front cover on the block behind the water pump, or the actual IP gear housing, which if removed without precautions is a sure way to spend hours on this board undoing your mistake. Don't skimp on the valley pan. Spend the money and get a new one. You might want to tell us why your removing it. Might be something else you need to know.

tractorman86

Reaction score
thanks mel, didnt think about clarifying that. could have turned out real bad. and i wasn't thinking about a 6.9 either. good catch!

cleithau

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Its leaking coolant into the glow plug area. No signs of a head gasket leak, has to be the valley pan gasket. I ordered a new one through CarQuest, I actually had them order 3 so I would hopefully get one good one.

Are there pictures in the tech articles of the area I need to mark?

zigg

Full Access Member
Reaction score
the actual IP gear housing, which if removed without precautions is a sure way to spend hours on this board undoing your mistake.

Don't be too worried about the timing. There are a couple of methods of getting the timing correct again without too much fuss, and I've personally found that it's much easier to pull the inj. pump with the inj. pump gear housing all at once.

You cannot replace the valley pan gasket without removing the pump, and the intake manifold. The valley pan(intake gasket) is a one time crush gasket, and cannot/must not be re-used. Be especially sure to re-seal the front and back edges as instructed with silicone prior to re-install or you will have a persistent oil leak. Don't forget to torque the intake in the correct sequence!

If you lose the timing, get back to me prior to putting on the valley pan, and I can give you instructions on how to get the timing back with very little effort.

It's a bit of work, but not that hard of a job...

Zigg :)

cleithau

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Just checked the tech section, so all thats needed to remove the IP is to remove the oil fill neck, mark the timing gear and IP and unbolt the IP fron the gear and then the housing? Is this right? The manual I have says something about cranking the engine to remove tension on the gear, is this only necessary if you are removing the IP gear housing?

RLDSL

Diesel fuel abuser
Reaction score
Its leaking coolant into the glow plug area. No signs of a head gasket leak, has to be the valley pan gasket. I ordered a new one through CarQuest, I actually had them order 3 so I would hopefully get one good one.

Are there pictures in the tech articles of the area I need to mark?

If you ordered the gasket from Carquest at least you shouldn't be getting a piece of junk felpro. you'll be getting a better quality reinz gasket. They don't carry felpro

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
olsen726

Members online