Liquid Gasket on Intake Manifold?

tractorman86

Reaction score
yes and no, i've never had one bind pulling it out, if it does just get a socket/ratchet and turn the engine slowly. the rest is good. remember take the lines off at the injectors, you'll pull your hair out trying to get them off the IP. oldmisterbill now that you mention it, i think you are correct. i'd think twice about this.

oldmisterbill

Grumpy Old Man
Reaction score
My Point,think about it real good.There aren,t many places to get water in that area.I don't think the valley gasket has any thing to do with it.

RLDSL

Diesel fuel abuser
Reaction score
I could be wrong - But if I recall correctly there are no water passages in the intake manifold.

Correct, there are no passages THROUGH the intake manifold.... BUT, on many 6.9 heads there are 4 open coolant passages on the same surface that the intake ports are on , that are sealed only by the intake manifold gasket. On the later heads, those four holes on each head are sealed by four stainless steel freeze plugs.

So, yes, there is a place where coolant could be leaking there and not coming from the head gasket.

RLDSL

Diesel fuel abuser
Reaction score
Even if it has the later heads with the freeze plugs , if some machine shop along the line has replaced them with non stainless plugs, they will quickly rust through in that position and leak ( just ran into that on my engine, but caught it on teardown when fixing the other freeze plug screwups from those bozos that rebuilt the thing last time ) International is real proud of those things.

cleithau

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well I'm hoping thats what it is, doesn't seem likely its the head gasket, its running and starting great and no signs of a head gasket leak. My first thought was the head gasket.

Is the O-ring on the injector pump re-useable? Is there any type of sealant people recommend using in the IP to gear housing seal?

"just index(mark with a paint marker, or scratch with a scribe) both mounting surfaces." Are you saying to index on the outside of the pump and pump housing, or index on the gear under the oil fill neck?

Does any one have a picture of where to index?

oldmisterbill

Grumpy Old Man
Reaction score
Darn it wrong again-RDSL we live so close to each other,I hope to drop in your way sometime.You always impress me with your memory and knowledge.

tractorman86

Reaction score
Well I'm hoping thats what it is, doesn't seem likely its the head gasket, its running and starting great and no signs of a head gasket leak. My first thought was the head gasket.

Is the O-ring on the injector pump re-useable? Is there any type of sealant people recommend using in the IP to gear housing seal?

"just index(mark with a paint marker, or scratch with a scribe) both mounting surfaces." Are you saying to index on the outside of the pump and pump housing, or index on the gear under the oil fill neck?

Does any one have a picture of where to index?

that's it you take the ip away from the housing index accrost line where the end of my knife is

Attachments

• IP index.JPG
    IP index.JPG
    574.3 KB · Views: 11
Last edited:

cleithau

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Just wanted to say thanks for everyones help on this. I used the coppercote spray on the gasket and around the 4 open ports I used this stuff from Permatex called "The Right Stuff" we used it on jet ski jet pumps, had to seal water on one side and usually some leaking or spilled two stroke oil on the other side. Works great. No more coolant everywhere.