like I have money to burn

dbarilow

over worked
Reaction score
with all the talk of aluminum melting at the 1200's how about custom titanium parts melting at 3034? :rotflmao

Ok I'll shut up it is a stupid idea cookoo cookoo cookoo cookoo cookoo

JPR

Full Access Member
Reaction score
That was the thought behind the ceramic coated pistons. The coating could handle the higher heat and insulate the pistons.

So how can the dodge folks get away with +1500ºF? "with the stocker i would hit 1550 a little before halfway through 4th." look at the #9 post

The Warden

MiB Impersonator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
JPR said:
So how can the dodge folks get away with +1500ºF? "with the stocker i would hit 1550 a little before halfway through 4th." look at the #9 post
I asked a PSD owner about this once back in the DramaStop days. The answer I got wasn't really very satisfying...they made it sound like the oil cooler jets spraying the pistons would bring the piston temps down enough to be able to safely run at an EGT that high. Personally, I think that that's asking for it...I wouldn't want to run that risk myself, so even if I had a darkside truck or a goat, I would just stick with 1250°, unless I heard a better answer than THAT...

That said, I imagine it would be safe to go hotter with ceramic pistons, but how much heat can the valves take? Besides, I thought I heard somewhere that ceramic pistons had their own set of issues?

94f450sd

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
ive had my PSD at 1500 or more(pyro only goes to 1500) on the track.no problems with it yet.while playing in the city im constantly hitting the 1400s. cookoo

argve

Resident Fruitcake
Reaction score
The pistons in the goat truck are not designed to hold 1500°F and above - but I have done it many many many many times. :smash:

The thing is this...

You can run at temps above the melting temp for so long then you have to back out of it. This is because when the pyro hits 1200° that does not mean the piston is at 1200° it just says the gasses are at that temp. The piston has not absorbed that full temp yet so you can hang out for a little bit.

Sort of like in an airplane they have ratings for such things which is something like this... they can run at 1400° temp on the pyrometer for 1 minute then they must back out of the throttle, they can run 1200° for 5 minutes or they can run 1000° for indefinately. All of these numbers were just pulled out of thin air to show how it works and should not be taken as "these are the temps I can run my truck and not blow it up" type of thing.

So I live and die by that rule... I will bury my pyro and not think twice about it other than I don't hang out there - I will bury the needle when I'm playing in traffic with another truck or car or just because I want to be pinned to the seat. Now when passing on a grade with the TT in tow I will NOT get the pyro above 1300° and I won't hang out there pulling either. Typically when pulling I will hang out at 900° all the way up the hill with maybe a short burst while passing but if I can't pass within a few seconds I will just hang back.

So yes you can exceed the 1200° mark in an IDI it's just that when you do you have to realize that you can't drive all day there. It's just that we typically don't recommend anything above 1200° because we have to assume that the person reading the thread is going to run at max temp stated at all times... I would run The Enterprise at 1100ish all the time while pulling a hill and none of my pistons showed signs of heat damage - I used to always say I would drive all day at 1100 but I would only run up to 1200 for short bursts (this is all my towing temps).

highest_vision

Reqistered User
Reaction score
The Warden said:
I asked a PSD owner about this once back in the DramaStop days. The answer I got wasn't really very satisfying...they made it sound like the oil cooler jets spraying the pistons would bring the piston temps down enough to be able to safely run at an EGT that high. Personally, I think that that's asking for it...I wouldn't want to run that risk myself, so even if I had a darkside truck or a goat, I would just stick with 1250°, unless I heard a better answer than THAT...
There's also the coolant; Heat is carried to the cylinder walls via the rings. The intake charge also cools as the exhaust leaves and takes away some heat :)
Strictly from a theoretical standpoint, if cylinder gas temps were at 1200*, you would never be able to melt a piston because of these cooling factors. Each individual cylinder only remains at the peak temp for a set time before the combustion event is over. Think about how fast that pyro drops when you let off the throttle, and remember that the pyro is a sampling of 4+ cylinder temps. The cooling systems are very effective and allow us to 'do what we do.' Only when a failure happens do you really see damage due to overheating. Like an injector sticking open -Flame Thr
James