Letting out the clutch...

84TD

Full Access Member
Reaction score
In my 77 when I let out the clutch to take off from a stop if I dont let it out just right the truck stalls. Even when I get it right it bogs a little and lets out a big puff of smoke and if I punch the go pedal it will fall on its face for a second and then roar to 2800. In my buddies 86 6.9 he can let the clutch out fast and the truck just goes with maybe just a small puff of smoke. Other than the body styles the only difference is mine has the 093 factory turbo setup on it. We both have manuals and 4:10 gears running 33" tires. I have played with my timing and its seems to do it less with the timing advanced but I had it advanced enough to sound like a power stroke and then backed it off a little. His timing is probably retarded because his idle is very quiet compared to mine. I am wondering if this is a trait of turbo idi's in general or if I need to investigate further.

gonecrazyi

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Mine would do that when I had boost leaks. Sealed the leaks and it went away. The truck would bog down and act like it was out of air till the turbo caught up

84TD

Full Access Member
Reaction score
hmmmm. I dont think I have any but I will build a tester. I saw something online awhile back where you take a pvc end cap with similar OD to the turbo boot inlet(in my case 3.5") and rtv a air hose fitting into it, set the air regulator to 15 PSI and secure it to the boot. It pressurizes the whole systems and lets you find any leaks.

At 45mph I have 1 PSI and at 65 I have 3 PSI, WOT is wastegated to 10PSI. Other than takeoff the performance is good.

84TD

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I did the test last night. I put 15psi to the system and could not hear any leaks. When I cut the air supply the system bled the pressure off slowly over 30 to 45 seconds. I looked for exhaust leaks too, no soot anywhere on the up pipes.

The issue is so annoying I am considering swapping my manual for an e4od. I need to update my sig, I recently swapped a sf-42/zf-5 in there but this problem was an both transmissions. No guts below 1K rpm.

Attachments

• IMG_2237 (Medium).JPG
    IMG_2237 (Medium).JPG
    131.5 KB · Views: 26

Hyde

N GO SEEK
Reaction score
Do you start in first or second? T19s behind the diesel dont have a granny low, its an actual useable first gear