Let's Talk Intercoolers

Agnem

Using the Force!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Your foot is what hurts your fuel economy. Turning up the pump just increases the usable range of throttle. Don't push it down as far, and your fuel milage will stay the same.

snaponprofile

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Post #46 shows the only sidewinder I have ever seen intercooled. Would there be any reason to bend the pipes so they don't have so many 90*'s in them? Doesn't that hurt the flow and increase turbo lag?

That looks to be a 093 hat, I hope I can find one.:(

snaponprofile

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Your foot is what hurts your fuel economy. Turning up the pump just increases the usable range of throttle. Don't push it down as far, and your fuel milage will stay the same.

Ok, I do have a heavy foot;p

oldblue05

PIN IT TO WIN IT!!!
Reaction score
A couple of reasons. But first let me comment on the water to air intercooler. We had a guy in here, and I forget his handle, but he worked tierlessly on putting one together, and then abandoned the project AND the truck just when it got interesting. So, to date, it is not a proven concept on our rigs.

bajabomber87, build thread below:

http://www.oilburners.net/forums/showthread.php?t=30848

Doesn't that hurt fuel economy if you max out your pump though?

Turning up the pump basically enables your truck to do more with the throttle being depressed less. So in theory say you would only have to put the throttle down a fraction of what you did before to do the same work because the same amount of fuel flows earlier. When a truck is turboed it has way more air going through so you turn the pump up to give it more fuel to make more power... so once again in theory a fuel pump turned all the way up can give you the same mileage but one would have to be careful how much the throttle is depressed. So yes in the real world fuel economy goes to **** because everyone wants to go fast, because if you're not first you're last!:rotflmao:rotflmao

snaponprofile

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Post #46 shows the only sidewinder I have ever seen intercooled. Would there be any reason to bend the pipes so they don't have so many 90*'s in them? Doesn't that hurt the flow and increase turbo lag?

That looks to be a 093 hat, I hope I can find one.:(

What do Ya'll think, does alot of 90's hurt the flow or it isn't much of a issue??

RedTruck

Reaction score
The rig in 46 is mine. I had the piping built by a local company that builds NHRA headers. While I can't comment on how it performs compared to something else, I've pulled some heavy loads...once grossing 24.5 and not had a problem with exhaust temp. I turned the fuel screw up all the way and backed it off a couple of flats, adjusted the wastegate rod, and also have a regulator between the wastegate and housing to delay the wastegate actuation. The regulator idea I got from F350Camper the originator of this thread. With all of these modifications I've seen exhaust temps over 1000 once for a short period of time. If I really push it with a load it starts climbing over 11 pounds boost pressure fast. The last thing I need these days is to wrench on my rig, so I back off the throttle when boost pressure runs over 11. I'm running stock head bolts.

I like this setup. The piping is tight in places. I've gone with a shorter belt on the power steering pump to keep that at bay.

I am running the 4 speed with 3.54 gears. With any manual tranny you will lose pressure when you shift gears. You can't be in a hurry when shifting from 3rd to 4th on the 4spd. That drop is a killer and it takes some time to build pressure again. For me 5 pounds of pressure seems to be the key. If you can keep the pressure above 5 pounds it builds pressure faster and quite honestly really straightens out the hills. As much as I don't like the idea of an automatic, it really seems like it would take care of some of these issues. I say issues, but I don't mind being a little slow out of the hole.

Good luck with your rig,

Paul

crashnzuk

Full Access Member
Reaction score
RedTruck, do you have any pics of the cooler install behind the grill? I'd like to get an idea how much space there is in the front of a slant nose truck.
Travis..

snaponprofile

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The rig in 46 is mine. I had the piping built by a local company that builds NHRA headers. While I can't comment on how it performs compared to something else, I've pulled some heavy loads...once grossing 24.5 and not had a problem with exhaust temp. I turned the fuel screw up all the way and backed it off a couple of flats, adjusted the wastegate rod, and also have a regulator between the wastegate and housing to delay the wastegate actuation. The regulator idea I got from F350Camper the originator of this thread. With all of these modifications I've seen exhaust temps over 1000 once for a short period of time. If I really push it with a load it starts climbing over 11 pounds boost pressure fast. The last thing I need these days is to wrench on my rig, so I back off the throttle when boost pressure runs over 11. I'm running stock head bolts.

I like this setup. The piping is tight in places. I've gone with a shorter belt on the power steering pump to keep that at bay.

I am running the 4 speed with 3.54 gears. With any manual tranny you will lose pressure when you shift gears. You can't be in a hurry when shifting from 3rd to 4th on the 4spd. That drop is a killer and it takes some time to build pressure again. For me 5 pounds of pressure seems to be the key. If you can keep the pressure above 5 pounds it builds pressure faster and quite honestly really straightens out the hills. As much as I don't like the idea of an automatic, it really seems like it would take care of some of these issues. I say issues, but I don't mind being a little slow out of the hole.

Good luck with your rig,

Paul

Thanks so much!!

You have a 7.3 intercooler, correct? I plan to to print out some pics and bring it to the shop that will be doing mine, that ok with you?(printing I mean)

Was it a seat of pants difference from being non intercooled?

Agnem

Using the Force!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
RedTruck, do you have any pics of the cooler install behind the grill? I'd like to get an idea how much space there is in the front of a slant nose truck.
Travis..

Here are pics from the Moose Truck install. Keep in mind, I moved my radiator back about 3/8" and run electric fans and have no airconditioning.

You must be registered for see images

snaponprofile

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Why did you route the pipes underneath like that? Why not just straight by the drivers side?

Agnem

Using the Force!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ah.. an excellent question. But, because I have the wide rad, all the pipes must go under, and not through the core support. This is why a Hypermax kit won't fit my truck. And since I have a Hypermax turbo and chose to use the Hypermax IC intake hat, all pipes must come up the passenger side, unless you want some kind of dorky arrangment that crosses over the engine, which would not be a neat job at all. This is what that arrangement looks like.

snaponprofile

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yeah, I love the way the hypermax intercooler is piped. But with hypermax's kit, it seems to me that you have more turbo lag than necessary going the long way around.

I also like how the sidewinder in #46 is piped too, not dorky at all!:D