Let's Talk Intercoolers

The Warden

MiB Impersonator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
you have some engineering and fab work in front of you. be sure to take lotsa pics;Sweet
X2 on that...I'm planning to do the exact same thing, actually (planning to mount an intercooler from a 6.0l PSD and relocate my a/c condenser in front of the intercooler). So, please post pics if you end up doing your install before I do ;Sweet

And, IMHO no one needs to be apologizing for adding their info/experiences to this thread. This thread is a great resource, and IMHO it will make life easier for people searching for info in the future. :cool

The Warden

MiB Impersonator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I also remember Oreo(fte) has a 6.0 intercooler and he didn't see much over 5 psi with his 093 turbo.
Do you know if he adjusted his wastegate after installing the IC?

In any event, I imagine that lower pressure with considerably cooler air is better than high pressure with hot air...and I'm also wondering how much ceramic-coating everything from the manifold to the turbo exhaust housing would help? Or will ceramic coating just help with the speed at which the turbo spools up?

towcat

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I also remember Oreo(fte) has a 6.0 intercooler and he didn't see much over 5 psi with his 093 turbo.
my truck is the same way but with the ATS IC kit. I've towed a 10k loaded trailer from SJ to Reno on I80 with a total of 18k GCVW and the truck kept up with traffic the entire pull. egt's were a non-issue also.

Agnem

Using the Force!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
i know this is an older post that someone brought back but i just want to throw my findings out there. Also im kind of in a different ball park than you guys being a cummins but what the heck.

Before install: with 410 gears and a zf5

max 24 lbs of boost @ max of 1200 deg in 5th full bore
going down the freeway in 5th at about 60mph i tipically see about 5-7lbs of boost and about 700-800 deg and about 2300-2500 rpm

Installed an ebay cxracing intercooler with 3" piping
Max 20 lbs of boost @ max of 950-1000 deg in 5th full bore.
going down the freeway in 5th at about 60mph i see about 4-5 lbs of boost and about 550-650 deg and about 2300-2500 rpm

I know i lost a little bit of boost but that is normal. I feel the truck has more get up and go and requires less throttle to do that same work as before. I am very happy with my intercooler and i wish i had installed it sooner. Also i gained about 2 MPG in fuel ;Sweet and let me tell you. The bottom of my fuel petal has *** with my carpet ALL THE TIME!

Like i said im just posting this for the guys that are thinking about installing an intercooler.. If you have a turbo already the next best thing you can do it make use of that air and COOL IT!

You used the same intercooler I did and got the same boost and EGT reductions, so I'd say that intercooler is a good solid "turn key" ebay purchase. My total investment in my do it yourself ebay intercooler project was about half of what I spent on the Hypermax kit. That said, the Hypermax intercooler is way better quality, but I expect the performance results will be similar.

oldblue05

PIN IT TO WIN IT!!!
Reaction score
Ok, nobody has mentioned an water to air set up. I know everyone wants to bash em because they have more **** that can go wrong, but it seems that since the air has much less space to travel through one wouldn't have as much boost drop they advertise less than .1 psi drop. Also I could drop dry ice in the reservoir...:sly. I plan on having one of the ebay kits by the end of summer.

Last edited:

snaponprofile

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You used the same intercooler I did and got the same boost and EGT reductions, so I'd say that intercooler is a good solid "turn key" ebay purchase. My total investment in my do it yourself ebay intercooler project was about half of what I spent on the Hypermax kit. That said, the Hypermax intercooler is way better quality, but I expect the performance results will be similar.

Why did you get a hypermax kit if the ebay one worked fine?

Last edited:

typ4

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score

then hes got a leak or problem somewhere or not enough fuel.

Also my ac with the variable orifice tube and a more efficient condensor works great in the stock location.

snaponprofile

Full Access Member
Reaction score
all of them. Never see over 1200 ever.

Oh ok, I suppose that kills fuel mileage?

Im pretty sure ill go with a 7.3 IC and have shop pipe it. The trick is finding a intake hat that will work.

Last edited:

Agnem

Using the Force!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Why did you get a hypermax kit if the ebay one worked fine?

A couple of reasons. But first let me comment on the water to air intercooler. We had a guy in here, and I forget his handle, but he worked tierlessly on putting one together, and then abandoned the project AND the truck just when it got interesting. So, to date, it is not a proven concept on our rigs.

As for why the Hypermax kit, here is the list of reasons.

1) - Would have put the hypermax kit on the Moose Truck to start with, but that kit will not fit a truck with the wide short radiator.

2) - Time. Fabing up my own would have taken a lot more effort to cobble together the needed parts from various sources, and then there is the test fitting and cutting. The rally is coming, and my weekends are precious. Due to the difference in model year and radiator, it would not have been a complete duplication of my previous effort, and I'd be designing it from scratch.

3) - To see if spending twice the money yields twice the results.

4) - So you guys would be able to see exactly what my experience was with it, and have it documented so it is repeatable.

snaponprofile

Full Access Member
Reaction score
then hes got a leak or problem somewhere or not enough fuel.

Also my ac with the variable orifice tube and a more efficient condensor works great in the stock location.

Doesn't that hurt fuel economy if you max out your pump though?