Let a friend borrow my truck - driveline noise? t/o or mid-ship?

milner351

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Gents,

I let a friend borrow my truck to haul a 4500lb gooseneck trailer with a combine corn head on it from the Detroit area down to KY...

Before he left he got me one new tire, had the others mounted and balanced that I had on hand, we changed the oil and filter, fuel filter, greased the chassis, gave it a general once over.

The vacuum pump locked up at 3am outside Louisville - :eek: thankfully he was close to an exit with an auto parts store - he slept in the truck, then when they opened he got a new pump and belt and a bit of antifreeze :eek: - and he was on his way again....

On the way home he mentioned that the "throw out bearing noise" got worse and "stayed on" for an hour or so... :eek: He said that pushing in the clutch did not make the noise change. He stopped a couple times to look things over and try to diagnose the noise, but couldn't find anything obvious - then he'd take off again and the noise would be gone, then come back again.... finally it went away and has not come back again since... cookoo

He's a good friend but I'm starting to reconsider letting ANYONE borrow my truck - he was in a bad spot and willing to pay for the tire and oil change supplies, so I figured it was a good idea.

Now I'm looking at paying him for the vacuum pump and belt, having to flush and fill the coolant since he used off the shelf coolant to top off the system, and I'm looking at either dropping the trans to do the clutch, or -- maybe the midship bearing in the driveshaft?

For years there has been a slight sqauking noise just when getting rolling from a stop in either 1st or R - during clutch engagement - I figured it was t/o bearing - the truck has 142k on it and as far as I know - has the OEM clutch.

What's the diagnosis for mid-ship bearing? He didn't think to put a hand on it during one of his stops to see if it was abnormally hot --I can check it for play - but not sure how else to diagnose the noise.... maybe its time for the SMFW and southbend or luk --- don't exactly have $800 burning a hole in my pocket.

Mike

Stroker
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Any thread that starts out with "Let a friend borrow the truck" usually doesnt have a sweet ending.

Full Monte

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I think the friend is a good guy and that the truck would have developed these problems if you were driving it too. It doesn't matter to the truck who is driving it....it just gets sick when it's time. Fix the truck and keep the friend.

milner351

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Agreed - I was the best man in his wedding - I won't disown him cause my truck broke when he was driving it -- but there is always that thing about HOW he was driving it.... anyway....

SO -- how do you diagnose a midship bearing or maybe even a ujoint noise?
just look for play?

res0wc18

Full Access Member
Reaction score
dont let that bother you, ive had mine go doing nothing but city cruising.

check to see if someone replaced it with a junk overseas one, that was my problem.

milner351

Full Access Member
Reaction score
resowc18 --- was that the midship bearing, ujoint, or t/o bearing?

I have had some bad luck with midship bearings on a friends Ranger - never done one on this truck -- certainly a huge difference depending on where you buy it -- any recommendations on brand?

res0wc18

Full Access Member
Reaction score
ive had bad experiences with all of those.

i made sure i stayed away from anythhng at shucks. i went to napa and got some timken and assorted others that were not sitting on a shelf for years.

im trying to remember the name of the other bearing that i got.

res0wc18

Full Access Member
Reaction score
napa is way more helpful than any others and i like them because your supporting the local guy.

plus they can get some many more "toys"

Papabear

Papabear
Reaction score
Agreed - I was the best man in his wedding - I won't disown him cause my truck broke when he was driving it -- but there is always that thing about HOW he was driving it.... anyway....

SO -- how do you diagnose a midship bearing or maybe even a ujoint noise?
just look for play?

how does he drive his own vehicles because that is exactly how he drove your without you there to answer that question

i know personally i have that luck that if it is going to break it will when i borrow it no matter what it is when i used to work construction and the crew wanted new equipment they would let me operate it because they knew if it was gonna break it would in my hands if i was the friend i would at least meet you halfway on the parts recquired, help you make the repairs and by the beers for the work and than just git 'er done:yell:

milner351

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well - he's a middle of the road driver - and I gave him some pretty strict instructions..... he had the truck detailed before he gave it back, and said he'd rather have me do some work on his jeep for him instead of paying for the pump and belt.

So far, there has been no more noises from the drivetrain - I have to get under it and look carefully at the midship and ujoints..... it will take some time before I can diagnose what that sound really was.