Let’s make a deal - Sell me the website?

ISPKI

Welding/metallurgical engineer/Metalsmith
Reaction score
I feel like this is the natural progression of a forum, particularly one revolving around a fairly narrow topic such as trucks with this one engine in it. There is almost a finite quantity of information about a narrow topic that can be discussed and at some point, everything has been talked about for the most part. We will see far fewer posts as the forum ages, theoretically approaching a point where every topic has been covered and the forum turns into more of an online library.

I have been in several other forums covering a much more broad range of topics that seem to peak after some years, then slowly taper down to extremely reduced activity.

Jesus Freak

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I feel like this is the natural progression of a forum, particularly one revolving around a fairly narrow topic such as trucks with this one engine in it. There is almost a finite quantity of information about a narrow topic that can be discussed and at some point, everything has been talked about for the most part. We will see far fewer posts as the forum ages, theoretically approaching a point where every topic has been covered and the forum turns into more of an online library.

I have been in several other forums covering a much more broad range of topics that seem to peak after some years, then slowly taper down to extremely reduced activity.
Don't you think that there will always be a need to start another thread on duralift electric fuel pumps?

ISPKI

Welding/metallurgical engineer/Metalsmith
Reaction score
Don't you think that there will always be a need to start another thread on duralift electric fuel pumps?
Always. Thats the thing, it seems to me that 99% of unique topics have been brought up and I rarely see anything "new" outside of specific member projects being posted. Which really arent new, its just neat to see how people go about mounting their turbo setups and what process others use. Thats great but the site could probably be restructured into a huge "sticky" database and then member projects section.

Dirtleg

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well where are we at on the original topic? Been away for a very long time now but not gone for good. Hope we can see renewed interest here.

And if you can get together face to face with another IDI person you should do it. Always a good time.

hacked89

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well where are we at on the original topic? Been away for a very long time now but not gone for good. Hope we can see renewed interest here.

And if you can get together face to face with another IDI person you should do it. Always a good time.
I DM’d the site owner and no response. I do coordinate day events with others and agree it’s a good time.

The Warden

MiB Impersonator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
This site would be better off catering to late model diesels in my opinion.
Quick history lesson here...many of the old-guard core members who helped build this site into what it is, migrated here from what is now thedieselstop.com because they were treated as unwanted stepchildren by the leadership on that site. For example, they assigned to the IDI forums a moderator who had zero interest in the platform, started selectively enforcing policies that made no sense but served to destroy the fabric of the community, and effectively made it clear that we were (barely) tolerated as opposed to being welcomed.

While I understand the idea of wanting to appeal to a wider audience, IMHO we also have to be careful to not lose sight of what made oilburners.net the site that it is.

I hope it will be possible to keep the site going, although I also acknowledge that this is effectively a Web 1.0 relic in a world where Web 3.0 is overtaking Web 2.0 (I'll be the first to acknowledge that I haven't been very active lately; life gets in the way). Even without much new activity, there is far too much gold archived on this site that NEEDS to be preserved. If anyone does a Google search for anything IDI-related, a thread on this forum is all but guaranteed to be the first result. This is information that needs to remain available to those who need it.

For a few years now, I've been toying with the idea of copying all of the IDI tech articles to my own website so they can remain publicly available if something ever happens here...my main issues have been time constraints, and of course I would need to seek permission from the original authors of the articles. I wonder if maybe something similar should be done with the forum as a whole, or at least some of the more informative threads.

Clb

Another old truck
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I’m a 30 something year old and I only Use Facebook for marketplace..and they think I’m some 45 yr old non bianary women named Andy,.I won’t give them anymore than I need to. They track every sell and purchase and comment.

I’ve been a diesel forum reader for years. Competition diesel was my spot back in the day..diesel registry is still up and going but mostly based on Cummins from what I recall.

When I was calling around about new reman engines all the builders said they have major demand for the old IDI platforms. People are fixing up their old trucks or buying them to refurbish.

This site would be better off catering to late model diesels in my opinion.

I’m also part of the sprinter forum..I own 2 2005 sprinters. That forum is doing very well! Tons of activity, tons of write ups, you ask a question and in a day you’ll have some of the best sprinter mechanics in the country giving you advice.

Why not check that website out and take some pointers?
And yet this site is not a cummins born hotbed.
Feeding old tech has a huge need.
Btw
My newest rig is the 93 idi.
There is a sister site here that does "newer" stuff.
And yer last para=
NO

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
William88

Members online