Leaking rear tank at sending unit

The_Josh_Bear

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hey guys I've had the 38 gal bronco tank for a few years now but it's always leaked... finally figured out where from!!

On the sending unit the hard tubes pass through that plate, one of my lines is loose there. Like it wiggles around an bit and THATS where I've been leaking all this time. It got worse and worse so it's really time to fix it.

What's the best/easy plan of action?

I was thinking to clean it really good and either:
1. JB weld
2. RTV
Or just buy a new unit but then I'd have to redo the float line and pickup tube etc. Not a big deal but if one of the above tricks would work long term that's a lot easier.
I do not have to drop the tank to get to this part, the lovely PO cut a nice square out of the bed for just such a situation. cookoo

Macrobb

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I would look into brazing/soldering the line in place. Probably soldering it would be fine, because you won't have any high temps.

The_Josh_Bear

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I would look into brazing/soldering the line in place. Probably soldering it would be fine, because you won't have any high temps.
Any idea what type of rod? I can stick weld but don't know much about soldering. I think it's just mild steel?

The_Josh_Bear

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Ok that's funny I watched the exact video you just posted following your first post.

Turns out I had some silver solder(had no idea you could use it for mild steels!), and did a test bead.

You must be registered for see images attach

Wow! I'm really impressed with how strong this is and how easy it was to lay down. These bars are 18" long and I can't tear them apart! I only did the one side too.

The_Josh_Bear

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Wow! I'm really impressed with how strong this is and how easy it was to lay down. These bars are 18" long and I can't tear them apart! I only did the one side too.

Ok so I could break them apart but it took some muscle.

On to the fix:
Only way I could think to keep the plastic from melting outright. The goop is flux I forgot to take a picture first.

Oh and by the way I broke this 100$ Amazon vice last year, and while waiting for a better one to be shipped I ground out the huge crack welded it like pipe with a root and 2 welds over that. Works fine now and the point is I bolted it to a sawhorse and having an outdoor, mobile vice has proven invaluable for automotive stuff. Really really pleased with it!

Fixed! Just installed it a bit ago, will update next time I get fuel and drive around. I should degrease the tank too...