Late '80's rear fuel tank?

gonecrazyi

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yeah, I'll go out and grab it tomorrow. I had to empty my truck the other day when I was hauling scrap and left it covered out next to my hidden metal stash. I can tell you that its tall but not wide from front to back.

towcat

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
my 94 F-SD at work has a 38 gal poly rear tank, as does my buddys 92 f-SD
but the frame is differnt on them also
even though it's a moot point now since my f450's are obsolete, I'd like to see some pics of the oversize rear tanks.
who knows, I just might export them to TX and set up shop there rather than fight kali's anti-business laws.

DZL JIM

Site Sponsor
Reaction score
Towcat,
If you went here: http://www.rockauto.com/catalog/raframecatalog.php, enter: Ford; 1988; F-350; 7.5L 460; fuel/air; fuel tank; scroll down to F26E from Spectra. This is the tank, size is 34-1/2"W x 13-1/4"H x 26-1/2"L.
Said to be the exact same size as 'our' -94 - '97 trucks rear tank, just Twice as deep to achieve the 38 gallons.

I'm really curious to know if these tanks would fit your truck. And if not, what the replacement tank for yours would be...

hesutton

The Anti-Anderson
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Stock on both my '86's........ 19 gallon fore and aft. The 38 gallon deal was a bronco tank retro fit.

Heath

DZL JIM

Site Sponsor
Reaction score
The 38 gallon deal was a bronco tank retro fit.

No, the Bronco tanks were 33 gallon.
The 38 gallon is an F-series tank.
Must be either:
1) An option at the time for one of the packages.
OR
2) The tank makers today are making it an optional replacement.

I'm leaning more towards 2) since there is no consistant data.

diesel4me2

Camping is more importanter!
Reaction score
lmc list a 38 gal rear tank for the broncos, mine is currently out of the truck for repairs at this time. need pics, dimensions, what ever, just ask;Sweet

DZL JIM

Site Sponsor
Reaction score
lmc list a 38 gal rear tank for the broncos, mine is currently out of the truck for repairs at this time. need pics, dimensions, what ever, just ask;Sweet

Hmmmm.
This LMC Bronco page only shows the '32 gallon', though everyone else calls it 33 gallon.
http://www.lmctruck.com/icatalog/fd/full.aspx?Page=116

No mention of the 38 gallon for Bronco, only F-series. I have a Bronco 33 gallon tank so I don't need any info, thanks.

The Bronco tank is quite a bit narrower, I wonder why when it seems they use all F-150 stuff anyway...

Diesel_brad

Dunce
Reaction score
I am curious as to you specs you are getting jim. Is the 38 gal the total capacity? Like a 19 gallon front and a 19 gallon back = 38 gallon:dunno

DZL JIM

Site Sponsor
Reaction score
Is the 38 gal the total capacity? Like a 19 gallon front and a 19 gallon back = 38 gallon:dunno

NO!
We're talking about a 38 gallon REAR tank, plus you'd have your front tank, either 18 or 21 gallons depending on your model.

snicklas

6.0 and Loving It!!
Staff member
Reaction score
I am not sure if this would help, but, I have an 03 Excursion (I know a SuperDuty Chassis) but they have a 44 Gallon "Plastic" tank from the factory. The spare is not an issue as it is stored inside, in the side trim like an old station wagon. I am not sure of the differences, if any, between the old and SD frames. Just a thought........

Diesel_brad

Dunce
Reaction score
I have seen a F450-F550 tank put in OBS. The kid did a real hack job too. He notched a huge piece of the frame out for the filler neck. Like i said, hack jobcookoo

DZL JIM

Site Sponsor
Reaction score
That was Dan something, he cut the rear crossmember out totally, too, to make it fit. Not sure I would have done that.

Maybe the Excursion and F-450/550 have the same space in the frame for that big tank, that the OBS does not???

hesutton

The Anti-Anderson
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Is THIS what you are talking about? I'd have to look, but I swear their older catalog labeled that thing a bronco tank.:dunno It's a retro fit deal. I've never seen that stock from Ford with a dual tank 3/4 or ton truck.

Heath

DZL JIM

Site Sponsor
Reaction score
Yes, that's the tank we are trying to get the poly tank company to make.

The Bronco tanks were narrower, I assume for a reason or they would have just used the F-series tank and made it larger... :dunno