KDP or TAB FIX?

NAIL BENDER

Full Access Member
Reaction score
What have you done?

I did the KDP fix because that is all we knew about at the time. If I had to do it again, I would do the tab fix. It seems that now with the tab there is less chance of failure in the future and problems during the fix.

For some people though:rolleyes:, this is all they know and lack of confidence and ability will keep them doing the inferior KDP fix.

russs

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I havent done either yet.... :sorry: :sorry:

But I'm planning on doing the tab.... Only takes a bit longer than the pin right?

B

Big K

We took our time on the first one done here, but yeah, it only takes a little longer. Biggest hassle is installation of the new crank seal, but that is a bonus for the higher mileage trucks, as you get a new seal in the bargain. Other plus is the ability to re-torque the gearcase bolts.

If I had to do mine, I'd make it a two day job so Dane could paint flames on my gearcase cover. :thumbsup:

B

Big K

Originally posted by ofcourse
You know where I stand on this one.

TC

For the rest of you, while performing KDP retention using jig method, the tappet cover gasket popped on ofcourse's truck. All normal procedures were followed, no mistakes made. Sometimes this happens. A serious oil leak developed. Once the problem was diagnosed, Terry let us help with the repair, which involves the removal of almost everything on the left side of the engine.

PITA of a by-product when performing a supposedly slam-dunk 1+ hour procedure. :rolleyes:

MUDDY

Reaction score
but,,,,,,,,,,,,on terrys rig,,,,,,,,,,,if i remember correctly it was the cpff kit which adds air up the blowby tube,,,,,,unlike harolds kit where the air is added down the dipstick tube.[if i wrong corect me] as an added precaution i like to loosen oil cap slightly where it just sittin on ther. harold doesnt loosen the cap tho. i have been involved with and witnessed countless kkdp fixes w/ harolds jig and never the prob that happend on terry's, however have heard mention of a couple others

several bomb parties here inidaho and witnessing many fixes at harolds on several occasions,,,,,,kdp's retained using the jig pushin 60 or more and never a prob.

another prob we witnessed at erics was a tap breaking and pieces lodging inside the case. was the skinny tap from cpff jig. a freak deal. anothr advntage of harolds jig is bigger hole. not only bigger tap and hole but the angle of it alows massaging the dowelpin back into place

i would not hesitate to use the jig method if i still had my 89 or 98.5. but,,,,,,,,on the otherhand,,,,,,,,i would do the tab if i was at erics. reason,,,,,,,,danes artwork would look cool on mycover. still admirin what dane,eric,and joe did to my dually tirestep LOL LOL

Last edited:
B

Big K

Originally posted by MUDDY
but,,,,,,,,,,,,on terrys rig,,,,,,,,,,,if i remember correctly it was the cpff kit which adds air up the blowby tube,,,,,,unlike harolds kit where the air is added down the dipstick tube.[if i wrong corect me] as an added precaution i like to loosen oil cap slightly where it just sittin on ther. harold doesnt loosen the cap tho. i have been involved with and witnessed countless kkdp fixes w/ harolds jig and never the prob that happend on terry's, however have heard mention of a couple others

several bomb parties here inidaho and witnessing many fixes at harolds on several occasions,,,,,,kdp's retained using the jig pushin 60 or more and never a prob.

another prob we witnessed at erics was a tap breaking and pieces lodging inside the case. was the skinny tap from cpff jig. a freak deal. anothr advntage of harolds jig is bigger hole. not only bigger tap and hole but the angle of it alows massaging the dowelpin back into place

i would not hesitate to use the jig method if i still had my 89 or 98.5. but,,,,,,,,on the otherhand,,,,,,,,i would do the tab if i was at erics. reason,,,,,,,,danes artwork would look cool on mycover. still admirin what dane,eric,and joe did to my dually tirestep LOL LOL

Muddy makes good points here. CPFF jig was used on Terry's truck. If using any jig, I would never again use rear blowby tube for air input. CPFF makes a fine product, and he has now added a pressure control blowoff utilizing oil fill cap location.
Harold's kit has it's advantages over the CPFF unit, for the reasons mentioned. The broken tap could have been user error, or perhaps a fatigued/damaged unit. We have no way of knowing. Kudos to Harold for his assistance during that problem.
This does come down to a decision based upon each person's situation.

And whether you want a :cool custom cover, or not ;)

Fishin2Deep4U

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I too like the tab fix. Said and done, I feel it just leaves out the opportunity to break tools off inside the motor. And it just seems like the right way to do it.

There's tons of set screwed pins out there, so it does work. I just prefer the tab.

Dave

Got Smoke?

The Smokey One
Reaction score
I worried Tom Meers of Black Mountain Diesel to death when I found out he had a Jig Kit on order from CPFF

Once he finally recieved the kit I made plans to make the 3.5 hr drive two days later. My truck was the first KDP Jig fix that Tom himself actually did solo (well with Will's help), but they knocked it out in 1.5 hrs and I was on my way home feeling safer about my resent truck purchase (had just bought the truck not long before hand)

Dr. Evil

Full Access Member
Reaction score
With the tab mehod you can check the other bolts etc. under the timing case cover. I would imagine is any of the bolts worked out the results would be the same as dropping the KDP...

murfman

Reaction score
What is the cut off for needing the KDP or tab fix? I have a 99, when did Cummins fix the housing? I thought i heard 99, but is there a serial # before/after or something? Thanks Murfman

B

Big K

If I had a '99, I'd do it. Many parts were mixed and matched until well after '00. Some say '01's are at risk. :confused:

Ramflasher

Reaction score
Originally posted by Big K
If I had a '99, I'd do it. Many parts were mixed and matched until well after '00. Some say '01's are at risk. :confused:

There was actually a guy with an '01 on TDR that reported he had the old style cover. So, yes, it could be any of those years.

I have a '99 and still have not fixed my own, but I have used Harold's jig on a bunch of KDPs. No problems yet, and I hope it stays that way.

Being able to tap or nudge the pin back in with this jig is a huge plus. We had to do that with one last fall. The angle allows you to see the pin with a small light, also.

Is the tab better? Who knows? I do not believe the tab holds the KDP any better than Harold's set screw. But, I do like the idea of being able to check other things in there while it is apart.

TPCDrafting

Structural Steel
Reaction score
My front cover gasket was leaking anyway, so it was the tab fix for me. Pin was out about 1/16".

On Edit: I think it was around 80k miles:)