Worth fixing.

Brian VT

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I stumbled onto this article and it reinforced why my brain chose to get rid of my modern SUV and keep my 1985 Benz and also buy a 1987 F250 IDI 4wd ext. cab.
And it reminded me of how important you all are in our (motoring) lives. This is such a great group. Thank you for being here.

It's a long story. And it doesn't get very good until about 1/4 into it. But I read the whole thing and felt is was worth the time.

Old Goat

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks for the story Brian. Interesting what the guy went through with the bus. They were so lucky they were where they were when the axle came loose.

Same with our old IDI`s, gotta do our own wrenching, or go broke paying some one that doesn`t know how, or does a lousy job.

Rear axles do decide to leave the vehicle sometimes.

Evidently this is quite common.

Goat

Last edited:

Greenie

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
This is my dilemma now. A 1993 F-250 - in great shape towing a 1997 Holiday Rambler Alumascape travel trailer. Towing 3 plus tons cross country is ******* a vehicle. Although I've kept up with the common issues there are still other 30 year old parts that might be ready to fail. Dealerships will probably refuse to work on a 30 year old truck and some parts might be very hard to buy locally. It's a big gamble to take

Jesus Freak

Full Access Member
Reaction score
In my professional opinion, owning an idi is a niche market now, and requires knowing how to maintain it.
We're actually becoming a "cult". I've developed a special hand gesture to identify us, like how the free masons and illuminati do. I'll post a picture of my idea at the end of my rant. But yeah, I've brought all sorts of dead equipment back to life that if you saw it you'd be like, "dude, just quit". Im not an avid picture taker, so I don't have "proof" just memories. 1950 Farmall C, 1951 8N that was on its way to the scrap yard, 59 caterpillar D6, 100's of craftsman lawn mowers. My wife's firebird (KITT) was a lost cause...... and then I got it and got it going, the original owner (a prior Marine) was in tears when I sent him a video of it running. All his "mechanic" friends couldn't figure out that the distributor was 180 out, thus it sat in disrepair with a limb in the busted out hatch for 6yrs.

Anyway, here's the secret hand signal, when I see it I'll know you're a IDI owner!

Attachments

• Screenshot_20230414-171649.jpg
    Screenshot_20230414-171649.jpg
    67.4 KB · Views: 5

Jesus Freak

Full Access Member
Reaction score
And a friend of mine that died a couple years ago had one of those Traveco things. It needed a carburetor and some other stuff, I could have gotten it but I really didn't care for the Mopar driveline. 440 and torqeflight.

Nero

HD Diesel nut
Reaction score
It's funny you say cult. The vw tdi scene is the same way, but one major difference between that scene and the idi scene is everyone here is willing to learn and fix, invest and maintain these trucks, and the idi scene is just wanting to get by on bare minimums, smallest budget ever, cutting unbelievable corners. Part of the reason I don't go on those forums anymore.

All I know is I'm set for life with this truck. I actually have a lead on another idi engine to build finally, so we'll see how that goes.

IDIBRONCO

IDIBRONCO
Reaction score
I think that it's because (at least partly) because the TDI cars are relatively new. We know that our trucks are old before we buy them. We understand that they may not have had the best care in the past. We also know, or soon find out, that most shops don't want to work on our old trucks so we HAVE to learn to do things ourselves. The simplicity of the IDI compared to the TDI is also an added incentive to want to learn how to work on our trucks. That's my opinion. Take it for what you will.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lewisstevey7

Members online