Newb with '87 6.9L

Brian VT

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So a little more info. on me and my truck.
My 1st diesel. (I'm 54 yrs. old)
I bought the truck from a dealer in North Carolina on the web so I probably paid too much.
It arrived today and it seems as nice, or nicer, than I expected. Almost no rust. You just don't see that in New England. Even on 5 year old vehicles. So that put a big smile on my face.
It has a manual glow plug button and an indicator light that someone did a very sano job installing. It was @ 40f degrees here and I held the button for @ 20 seconds and it started right up but ran rough. I shut it off and glowed for another 10 seconds and it started and ran nice and smooth after that.
It's not registered yet so I only drove it around the neighborhood. All seems nice and tight while driving on our dirt roads with pot holes. It never shifted up but I never got over 15mph.
The "whole fuel system from the tanks up" was supposedly just replaced. I do see lots of shiny new parts so it looks as though that is true. Although I don't have any receipts to know what quality of parts were used. It also looks like a new alternator and some brake lines and hoses. Plus 2 new batteries.
I still have my SUV as a backup ride and I want to spend some time now to get this truck ready to be my main squeeze and then drive/maintain it until I'm dead. ;-)
I'll be taking many notes here of what to go through and learn about my new horse.
Stay well and thanks for all the input. Hopefully I can also contribute to this site in the near future and take some pressure off you old-timers that have answered questions for the umpteenth time. ;-)