KansasIDI’s 1986 Ford F250HD 7.3L IDI

KansasIDI

Hopelessly addicted to IDIs
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Don’t know if that’s good or bad. Simpler without one I guess, but on diesels I prefer turbos.

Is there like a pipe plug that I can put in place of the glow plugs? I am aware that will likely lower compression to an extent, but am fine with that if I get boost. Plan on doin the grid heater like 1mouse3. And if that doesn’t work, then I’m not scared of starting fluid. Actually would probably rather ether injection, over a grid heater. Just gotta find a system that can do very very little shot rate

SkylabTech86IDI

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Don’t know if that’s good or bad. Simpler without one I guess, but on diesels I prefer turbos.

Is there like a pipe plug that I can put in place of the glow plugs? I am aware that will likely lower compression to an extent, but am fine with that if I get boost. Plan on doin the grid heater like 1mouse3. And if that doesn’t work, then I’m not scared of starting fluid. Actually would probably rather ether injection, over a grid heater. Just gotta find a system that can do very very little shot rate
On the topic of using starting aides like starting fluid on these, is using the gas rag trick safer than using starting fluid?

KansasIDI

Supporting Member
Reaction score
On the topic of using starting aides like starting fluid on these, is using the gas rag trick safer than using starting fluid?
I don't know. I've always just used starting fluid. In moderation, it is very good stuff. In excess, it is dangerous and destructive.

The_Josh_Bear

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I've used gasoline a few times and it was pretty gentle by comparison. Actually worked pretty darn well, but you have to use a lot more of it. I used it from a spray bottle vs the rag trick. Of course they don't make spray bottles that can handle such a harsh solvent so it's a 1 time use sort of thing. LOL

KansasIDI

Supporting Member
Reaction score
You could try the Russian method.
xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media
I’ve stuck a weed burner down the intake before. That works, but it takes a pretty long time. Obviously glow plugs and grid heaters work best, but I have nothin but trouble with glow plugs.

ocnorb

IDIT
Reaction score
I started up an IDI on an engine stand last week. Fuel lines were empty and I couldn’t find my electric lift pump; so had to crank it up through the stock mechanical pump. I tried the gas soaked rag for the first time. It worked much better than ether; just have to make sure it doesn’t get sucked in!

KansasIDI

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ordered Holley Red electric fuel pump conversion kit and turbo spec injection pump from Moose Diesel. Will go on the 7.3 IDI with Hypermax turbo kit, and am ditching factory tanks for one 38 gallon tank in the back. No FSV!!! All new fuel lines. New injectors from Russ, 2100 psi.

Old Goat

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Ordered Holley Red electric fuel pump conversion kit and turbo spec injection pump from Moose Diesel. Will go on the 7.3 IDI with Hypermax turbo kit, and am ditching factory tanks for one 38 gallon tank in the back. No FSV!!! All new fuel lines. New injectors from Russ, 2100 psi.

I ditched the FSV, and run the 38 gal rear tank to the engine and return back to it.

Keep your front 19 gal tank, connect an electric pump and use it as a transfer tank to the rear.

Edit:
I originally used a Facet 40223 I had mounted next to the Coolant bottle. It wasn`t hard wired in yet, was working on how to do it.
used a jumper wire to transfer fuel in the drive way one afternoon. Neglected it and think running it dry burned it out.

Last week i redid the set up. Now using a small cube Facet down on the Frame rail between front tank and Trans X member. use a piece on 1/8" flat stock 3" wide. 3" drop and 4" flat bend. Bolted it down with 1/4" bolts, and a piece of rubber convair belting for vibration, and 2 small pieces on the bottom side nuts. Picked up the pipe fittings at the Hyd shop, and cut the feed and supply hose down for the new pump.

This pump is getting the Hobbs switch and pressure switch wired in. When pump pressure drops, it shuts off.

Goat

Last edited:

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Wheelsrollin