Hopelessly addicted to IDIs
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Okay. Well that's too bad that it isnt the original hood

KansasIDI

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Had a fuel line go bad. The whole deal befuddles me a bit, the truck never lost power, even though it was leaking really badly. I think it must have happened not far from home. I was down at Lincolnville, prepping a surface for feed bunks to be poured on the feedlot we were working on. Got diesel in Lincolnville and drove home. It’s a 25 mile drive, exactly. I think when I pulled off the highway onto the gravel road that I live on is when it must have started leaking. I guess I got lucky.

xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

KansasIDI

Supporting Member
Reaction score
And then this… thing it does that isn’t a problem but sure as hell is weird…

KansasIDI

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Here’s a picture from a little while ago

Attachments

• 01800957-82EB-4909-9DBC-9AB598A6CABE.jpeg
    01800957-82EB-4909-9DBC-9AB598A6CABE.jpeg
    423.6 KB · Views: 9

Nero

HD Diesel nut
Reaction score
Last time I heard a clatter like that, my cdr was stuck open and you could really hear it near the trans tunnel that it was clattering out the intake. Just a thought. Symptoms and conditions were the same.

Old Goat

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Had a fuel line go bad. The whole deal befuddles me a bit, the truck never lost power, even though it was leaking really badly. I think it must have happened not far from home. I was down at Lincolnville, prepping a surface for feed bunks to be poured on the feedlot we were working on. Got diesel in Lincolnville and drove home. It’s a 25 mile drive, exactly. I think when I pulled off the highway onto the gravel road that I live on is when it must have started leaking. I guess I got lucky.

Yeah, that hose was long over due for replacement. The fuel line hoses are 3/8" for the supply side.

We bought the 86 7/14 and it was neglected, and a lot of deferred maintenance. My hose looked the same way, replaced it before it let go, but was pretty wet.

Replaced the Lift Pump a couple years back, noticed it was also damp on the bottom. Replaced it before we got stranded.

There is a rubber hose going up to the water separator next to the Brake booster and back down to the line going to the LP.
Sort of a PI TA to get to, but doubt that one ever get`s replaced. Did mine when I did the Oil Cooler repair. Had the L/F wheel off, Inner fender to get to the OC. Then the 2 hoses were easy to get to. Cracked where they connect to each end.

Noticed in your Video, your shift lever has the bend, so 1/2 & third are almost laying on the seat.
I took a torch to it and straightened it out, makes it easier to shift.

Goat

KansasIDI

Supporting Member
Reaction score
@Nero

I cleaned the CDR valve. It doesn’t blow near as much white or blue smoke anymore, and actually a little more black smoke than before. I don’t really like this thing, if all it does is keep the oil psi at atmospheric pressure, then why doesn’t it just have a hose routed down where water can’t get in, and just blow that out away from the intake, instead of back through the engine?

Thing is, it still clatters just as bad. I made sure that the 1/16” hole on the back was clear. Still stumped.

KansasIDI

Supporting Member
Reaction score
The older CAT equipment at my work vents the oil down away from the engine. Causes a bit of oil consumption, but the current setup seems to do that as well…

IDIBRONCO

IDIBRONCO
Reaction score
Some people do install a road draft tube. Some like it, others don't and go back to the CDR.

KansasIDI

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Some people do install a road draft tube. Some like it, others don't and go back to the CDR.

Okay, thank you. My understanding is that I just need to plug off the hole in the intake, and then route a big hose from the crankcase vent down to underneath the truck. My thought was to put it just behind the rear axle, passenger side. Please let me know if you have any other suggestions or if you think there would be a better way to do that, or if you have any other advice, thanks.

IDIBRONCO

IDIBRONCO
Reaction score
I think that some? most? people use the Banks CRD hose adapter that bolts onto the cover that allows you to get to the bolts that hold your IP to the gear. They run the RDT off of that. I also think that most, if not all of them have a turbo too so they don't have an open hole in the valley pan since the oil drains back there.