KansasIDI’s 1986 Ford F250HD 7.3L IDI

KansasIDI

Hopelessly addicted to IDIs
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Did my CDR valve delete a little bit ago. And today I turned up the fuel 1 1/2 to 2 flats. Acceleration is much better, but it’s kinda smokey now. But starting out in 2nd is easy with it “hot”. I’m sure that won’t help my coolant temp, but I’m gonna replace the radiator and heater core, and flush the block. Gonna do a monster 4 core champion cooling radiator. 6” thick core. Holds more water, that’ll help. Gonna replace my speedo cable, and the driven gear. Shouldn’t be anything left to break on the speedometer lol.

KansasIDI

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Radiator in, it is a 2 row with 1 1/4” cores. Big tubes for good water flow, and 2 row for good airflow. Thermostat is new 193* Motorcraft. I can’t get it hotter than 190* though. Thats on a 90* day with my foot on the floor for 15 mins, driving on an interstate highway. I’m gonna put in a ZF5, that will help. But I think I need a bigger lift pump. Captain720 mentioned an Edelbrock 7psi 38gph, designed for diesel. I had an Edelbrock electric pump on a 63 Ford, it treated me good, but it was a 292 Y block. They are notorious for poor top end oiling, which was the fate of mine…

Cant Write

Full Access Member
Reaction score
We have been conversing in the “another lift pump down” about finding an affordable and durable lift pump option, mechanical or electrical.

Post 48 I believe. Might be another option.

KansasIDI

Supporting Member
Reaction score
My starter will not engage. Napa starter so lifetime warranty. Got a new one. Spins but will not engage. Only 12.7 volts is probably my problem. I wouldn’t think that’d even spin it over… I am wondering if my alternator quit charging. How do I test that?

Nero

HD Diesel nut
Reaction score
12.7 volts is optimal. If the starter spins but doesn't engage, starter is culprit.

Rdnck84_03

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I don't remember how these are setup but if it uses the double solenoid setup, make ture the signal wire at startet is getting power.

James

KansasIDI

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Battery cable to starter has power and exciter wire has power when key is in start position. Old starter randomly started spinning but not engaging, new one does it too. I don’t know why.

KansasIDI

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Deal with starter not engaging was ring gear separated from the flywheel, so as a temporary fix I welded it back together, this was late May

Much later, early July, it developed a dead cylinder sound. Would chatter and shake like it had one until you let it warm up, then still bad sound, but no shaking. Black smoke from exhaust at idle when warm, LOTS of blue and white when cold. Injection pump was full of metal, appears that the fuel shutoff solenoid died, the motor died and the IP was full of metal, but after further investigation it appears that it could just be the FSS.

But, due to the 6.9’s excessive blowby, I decided to go a different route. I purchased a partially incomplete truck, with a 7.3 IDI with Hypermax turbo. I also have a 4WD ZF5, and LUK clutch kit. We got rain last night, enough that I got the day off, so if all goes according to plan, my 6.9 will be out of the white truck. I just need to disconnect fuel lines, power steering, motor mounts, and bellhousing. I will pull the transmission (T19) separately, but probably put the 7.3 and ZF5 in together, or at least try. I do plan to seal ip anything that leaks on the 7.3, and do headgaskets and studs.

The 7.3 ran smoother than freshly softened butter when I got it, but now leaks fuel out of the advance piston, so the IP will need replaced, it now runs less smooth. I ordered injectors from Russ, asked him to set at 2100 psi, my understanding is that it will run slightly less smooth with the higher pressure injectors, but slight improvement in efficiency and power, although more strain on the IP.

xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

KansasIDI

Supporting Member
Reaction score
That already didn’t work. Boss man (Dad) called and asked if I could deliver something to a job site that we finished recently, and fix some stuff down there that they broke. Sure thing, I didn’t have anything going on today…

IDIBRONCO

IDIBRONCO
Reaction score
We got rain last night,
Yep. I thought the radar showed rain heading your way last night. There was a pretty good line that started just south and east of me and headed farther southeast.
with a 7.3 IDI with Hypermax turbo. I also have a 4WD ZF5, and LUK clutch kit.
Aside from the turbo, I have that in my Blue Truck. I've been very happy with it.
If you're not going to do anything with those dually rims, I may be interested in them. I don't care about the tires, just the rims. I don't need any more old tires laying around.

KansasIDI

Supporting Member
Reaction score
The tires are low quality, but they hold air. I don’t suppose I have any reason to keep the rims or the tires. I guess I don’t really know what the rims would be worth.

KansasIDI

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Yep. I thought the radar showed rain heading your way last night. There was a pretty good line that started just south and east of me and headed farther southeast.

Aside from the turbo, I have that in my Blue Truck. I've been very happy with it.
If you're not going to do anything with those dually rims, I may be interested in them. I don't care about the tires, just the rims. I don't need any more old tires laying around.
When you say aside from the turbo, do you mean that you do not have a turbo? Or do you mean that it is not a Hypermax?