Another lift pump lets me down.

Nero

HD Diesel nut
Reaction score
@Nero what years were these in? I had a 94 f250 eclb 2wd 460 e4od and a 95 f350 cclb single wheel 4x4 with a 460 e4od. Both of these were dual tank trucks but only had a high pressure pump in each tank. Only thing on the frame of them was a fuel filter just forward of the selector valve.

The first ford factory frame mounted pump that I am aware of is the 7.3 superduty.

James
I'm not sure the span of years, but my dad's crew cab before I swapped it to a diesel, was a 1989. Each tank had a lift pump, then had the high pressure right after the filter on the frame.

Rdnck84_03

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Interesting, they must have had issues supplying enough fuel pressure at the high rpm when they first switched over to efi on the 460.

James

Cant Write

Full Access Member
Reaction score

Seems the FRB-5 or 13 may suffice. Read around in their literature that they are rated for >5000hrs. ~$185, are these pumps loud?

That link has possibilities of having a submerged style pump, or maybe a custom designed unit if one wants to go that route.

Please shoot holes in my thinking.

Cubey

Van dweller
Reaction score
I feel like we must have dealt with the same guy in Arizona. I had carters continually breaking on a Cadillac. The issue is the tolerance is so poor on the build the plunger hook pops off the arm and then no more pumping. You can take it apart and hook it back on and then it just falls apart again.

Found that guy in Arizona on eBay - zero issues

Unless the guy I bought from has a different website/company name for other stuff, he only deals in VW stuff: https://www.sparxwerks.com

Kevin 007

Full-floater
Reaction score

Seems the FRB-5 or 13 may suffice. Read around in their literature that they are rated for >5000hrs. ~$185, are these pumps loud?

That link has possibilities of having a submerged style pump, or maybe a custom designed unit if one wants to go that route.

Please shoot holes in my thinking.
They are rated for 18,000hrs. They are not loud, but you can hear them click away with the engine off

Cant Write

Full Access Member
Reaction score
@Kevin 007 do you personally use them? When I swap to electric, this will prolly be it after hearing all these other stories.

Sidebar..... man your mtns, winters and snow have me wishing I lived north of the border!! Telluride is a distant 2nd

Cant Write

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Found this kit today. Looks like the best of both worlds. Lift pump will pull fuel through it when not in use. I can use it for priming the system after maintenance, and it will provide redundancy when the chinesium pump fails. Also provides a nice pre filter. This is the route I’m gonna go. Thanks for all of the input fellas!

Whenever you jump back on here, how is this repair working out for you?

Kevin 007

Full-floater
Reaction score
@Kevin 007 do you personally use them? When I swap to electric, this will prolly be it after hearing all these other stories.

Sidebar..... man your mtns, winters and snow have me wishing I lived north of the border!! Telluride is a distant 2nd
The FRB series is all I use now on idi's and other applications that require low psi lift. I ran Carter 4070's on various applications for years, THEN they went to hell. I had several fail within a couple hundred hours; these were ones built after aprox 2015. The old ones that are still in service are doing just fine. I've switched everything to FRB series (yes they are pricey) but haven't had a failure yet. I've also installed a couple 24v models on heavy equipment, no issues with the 24v's either

IDIBRONCO

IDIBRONCO
Reaction score
@Kevin 007 Do you use the FRB 5 or 13? And have you found the 1/4” NPSF to be limiting at all since we have 3/8ths supply lines?

Thanks!
From what I've seen, I think that most people use the 13 on their trucks. I have no experience with this, but I'd think that you would want everything to be 3/8".

Cant Write

Full Access Member
Reaction score
From what I've seen, I think that most people use the 13 on their trucks. I have no experience with this, but I'd think that you would want everything to be 3/8".
I thought I read the fittings were the same between the 5 and 13. Only the pressures were different, 7 vs 10 psi.

I also agree in wanting everything 3/8”. But seems like they meet the IDI’s fueling requirements even necking down to 1/4” momentarily...

captain720

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My Carters check valve is failing (the warranty swap from Sunday) and I have a small leak on the inlet of the IP from an old fuel olive.

ROCK HARVEY

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I really like that they include the flow graphs for those pumps. That gives a lot more information than just “free flow.” Thanks, this will be the route I go if my facet 40222 ever gives me trouble.

OlKoot

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Has anyone replaced the fuel line going to the pump? I'm using 3/8th and never have issues from my Carter lift pump.