Another lift pump lets me down.

Cant Write

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Since quality seems to be affecting everything, has anyone tried retrofitting an “in-tank” diesel pump from ..... say a 6.0 or other makes/models?

Use a gasser assembly to get the power feed, and change the pump?

My van would prolly be easier since the body didn’t change and I could swap tanks.

Just a thought, I’m sure it’s been done, didn’t find a thread.

Nero

HD Diesel nut
Reaction score
Doesn't the 7.3 powerstroke use in tank lift pumps? What are their pressures compared to the idi's?

Edit, Google answered it for me, they run 40-70psi. I think that's a tad high for our engines.

Rdnck84_03

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Doesn't the 7.3 powerstroke use in tank lift pumps? What are their pressures compared to the idi's?
94.5- 97 are mechanical in the valley, 99-03 are electric on the driver frame rail. Not sure what the pressure is on the obs but super duty is 60 psi with a regulator, no idea what it would be capable of on a deadheaded system.

James

Rdnck84_03

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have no idea on the newer powerstrokes, but I would guess the pressures are atleast 60 psi.

Cant Write

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So there’s no low pressure in-tank pump that would be adaptable to our situation? That’s affordable and durable.

Hmmm, that’s no good!!

Austin86250

Full Access Member
Reaction score
For the ultimate in redundancy make sure to put the e-pump in parallel with the lift pump. This is how I have my Facet pump. That little cube will get you home but that's about it. It's not enough for towing as you'll lose some power. Just be aware of that.
It's easy with 3-way connectors and a check valve in each line.
@Selahdoor has a good write-up on the matter that I can't find using the google machine. My google-fu has weakened!

The reason for parallel is so the cube pump won't push fuel through the mechanical in the event that the mechanical ruptures it's diaphragm-- then you'll fill the crankcase with diesel and have a really bad day.

Also make sure the cube is after the main fuel filter. That little pre-filter on it clogs easily, ask me how I know... took me 2 days to remember I even had a pre-filter. Those were 2 long days of tearing my hair out, lol.
I’ve lost count but I’m on my at-least 5th mechanical pump 2 delphis and 3 Carter’s I just put a precision one in today hopefully that goes better and they have failed in every way possible, weep hole dumping, diesel in oil, no pump, and my personal favorite the output fitting split spilled about 10 gallons in the road and gas station it was there for days

That’s what I did after trying 2 models of the facet I have no clue how anyone got them not to starve about 2700 rpm’s for a minute or more

Not wanting to waste all the money I got into them I just mounted it to the side of the fuel filter and ran a switch into a dash it has saved me twice now
Now I highly recommend to anyone running a mech pump to have a electric primer pump it’s very handy

I teed the supply and put a check valve onto the mech output as to not pump diesel back into the crank case incase if diaphragm failure one day I’ll upgrade from standard fuel line to pushlok or AN

I also had a solo carter 4070 actually worked great for 6 months I towed, did long 80 mph+ pulls with it Too bad it proved itself to be unreliable

I do like the Holley red a lot but haven’t ran it in a idi just my 460 it’s robust and I don’t doubt it would meet the idi requirements while it is loud but not as loud as a fass, airdog, or holley blue

I hope one day someone can make a mech pump worth a damn as that’s my preferred route, I heard they are rebuildable maybe that would be a good business plan I know I’d sure spend 100-200$ on a quality pump maybe they can even be set for higher outputs for bigger ip’s/ boosted applications

Attachments

• IMG_7765.jpeg
    IMG_7765.jpeg
    455.9 KB · Views: 17
  • IMG_4140.jpeg
    IMG_4140.jpeg
    371.9 KB · Views: 15
  • IMG_4139.jpeg
    IMG_4139.jpeg
    304.2 KB · Views: 15
  • IMG_4138.jpeg
    IMG_4138.jpeg
    421.8 KB · Views: 14
Last edited:

Cubey

Van dweller
Reaction score
I’ve lost count but I’m on my at-least 5th mechanical pump 2 delphis and 3 Carter’s

Makes me glad i went with the Holly red (plus needed regulator for 3psi, lost top end power unregulated at 5-6psi) on my RV. It's been on there three years so far crossing mountains out west towing and has worked great.

I had to bite the bullet and pay $100 for a rebuilt mechanical fuel pump for my 64 Bug, because new parts house ones are questionable. The rebuilt one is from a guy in Arizona who deals with classic VW stuff like fuel pumps and distributors. It bolted right up without the stacking gaskets hack to make new pumps have low enough pressure. The electric pump it had was too high and a regulator didn't do crap to lower the pressure from already low pressure to a lower pressure, so I put it all back to stock, fuel tank and pump wise.

Last edited:

Nero

HD Diesel nut
Reaction score
So there’s no low pressure in-tank pump that would be adaptable to our situation? That’s affordable and durable.

Hmmm, that’s no good!!
I know on the earlier 460 equipped trucks they used low pressure lift pumps in tank, then the high pressure frame rail mounted pump.

I wonder if those in tank pump would work, if I remember right they only run 8-10psi. Been a while since I farted around with them.

Rdnck84_03

Full Access Member
Reaction score
@Nero what years were these in? I had a 94 f250 eclb 2wd 460 e4od and a 95 f350 cclb single wheel 4x4 with a 460 e4od. Both of these were dual tank trucks but only had a high pressure pump in each tank. Only thing on the frame of them was a fuel filter just forward of the selector valve.

The first ford factory frame mounted pump that I am aware of is the 7.3 superduty.

James

ROCK HARVEY

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Here’s a question for those who know more than me: our mech fuel pump has the same mount as most ford/Chrysler/chevy V8 engines, so is it only the arm that’s different? Would it be possible to move the IDI pump arm over to a pump meant for another engine with more racing/aftermarket support? I wonder if a reputable aftermarket high-flow pump could be adapted to run on an IDI. What do you guys think?

hacked89

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Here’s a question for those who know more than me: our mech fuel pump has the same mount as most ford/Chrysler/chevy V8 engines, so is it only the arm that’s different? Would it be possible to move the IDI pump arm over to a pump meant for another engine with more racing/aftermarket support? I wonder if a reputable aftermarket high-flow pump could be adapted to run on an IDI. What do you guys think?
High risk low reward. If you break the arm off into the engine you are going to have a fun time getting it out. That happened to me on a different vehicle.

hacked89

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Makes me glad i went with the Holly red (plus needed regulator for 3psi, lost top end power unregulated at 5-6psi) on my RV. It's been on there three years so far crossing mountains out west towing and has worked great.

I had to bite the bullet and pay $100 for a rebuilt mechanical fuel pump for my 64 Bug, because new parts house ones are questionable. The rebuilt one is from a guy in Arizona who deals with classic VW stuff like fuel pumps and distributors. It bolted right up without the stacking gaskets hack to make new pumps have low enough pressure. The electric pump it had was too high and a regulator didn't do crap to lower the pressure from already low pressure to a lower pressure, so I put it all back to stock, fuel tank and pump wise.
I feel like we must have dealt with the same guy in Arizona. I had carters continually breaking on a Cadillac. The issue is the tolerance is so poor on the build the plunger hook pops off the arm and then no more pumping. You can take it apart and hook it back on and then it just falls apart again.

Found that guy in Arizona on eBay - zero issues

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
IDIBronco86

Members online