Jet fuel?

Fordsandguns

Fords Rule
Reaction score
I talked to a guy today, running an IDI, that said he runs jet fuel in it. he said when he gets it he adds two cycle for lubrication. Or he mixes it 50/50 with diesel. Where he gets the fuel I have no idea. I thought this was bad to use. I know it's a little off topic in this forum but I figured since it's an idi it fit. It is an 86 6.9. It ran fine. Any thoughts?

69oiler

I don't feel tardy
Reaction score
IMO it's all the same stuff; jet fuel, heating oil, kero, diesel... if he's adding lube to the fuel he'll be fine.

Fordsandguns

Fords Rule
Reaction score
Well, I was curious when he told me about it. It is interesting. Where do you come across the stuff? And what about being checked for off-road fuel?

FordGuy100

Reaction score
I dont think jet fuel is dyed. I agree though, if he puts enough lube in it, he should be fine.

rubberfish

Reaction score
I've seen this discussed before over the years and
IIRC jet fuel was very dry. Almost solvent like.
I don't remember all the specifics, but I think the
final decision was to not use it. I'd do a little
research before you started merrily filling the tank.

typ4

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I use it all the time when the helo company defuels, I add lube because it is VERY dry. Work good in the garage furnace too. Basically it is very filtered kerosene. and it's clear

Diesel JD

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The DOD uses JP-8(very similar) in everything as part of their 1 fuel plan which you can read about online. It works great...except with these rotrary CAV type injection pumps, especially under heavy load and VERY HOT conditions. My feeling is if you live in a normal climate, add some good lubricity like Stanadyne, Howes, PS or better yet some good B100 or clean veggie oil, you'll be 100% fine. It would be like burning #1 diesel, better cetane rating but less BTU/unit so less MPGs.

towcat

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
yup. it's some really dry stuff. UAL had been running it in their ground maintence fleet for years. Yes, it does eat up pumps and injectors. But the stuff idles most of the time too, so it does have an effect. If you are going to run it in your truck, military multifeuling calcs call for no more than 50% of any one feul. JP8 with bio mix sounds like a pretty good cocktail to me;Sweet

Agnem

Using the Force!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Most likely the only folks running it are the ones who can get it for free. At the current price of fuel, it makes economical sense even if you destroy your IP in the process. I run all kinds of junk in the Moosestang, and yea after 2 years the advance piston is wearing and the pump isn't 100% anymore, but that's on a pump that already had untold wear and miles on it, and the money I've saved I could probably buy about 3 pumps by now.

tonkadoctor

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I was an Army Petroleum Lab tech.

They are correct in the Kerosene based aviation fuels being "dry" Military has been running it for years in diesels. Specificly JP-8. It likes to eat injection pumps.

One thing about running jet fuel in a diesel engine that has been run on D1 or D2 diesel for years is that it will clean the fuel system just like B100 biodiesel and clog your filters quickly. I have seen this several times. It happened to the Army when they switched, it happened to every diesel Toyota Hylux we "leased" in Afghanistan including mine, It happend to the Marines in OEF and OIF when they finally switched and I seen it happen to the Romanians in OEF.

Here are a few differences between the grades.... And no I have never seen Jet-A, Jet-A1, JP-5 or JP-8 that has been dyed. It is as clear as water when you put it in a glass and aside from the smell it looks tasty.;Sweet
  • JP-1 Pure kerosene with a high flash point and a freezing point of -60*F
  • JP-5 aka NATO F-44 aka AVCAT... Kerosene based jet fuel with high flash point usually used by Navy
  • JP-6 similar to JP-5 with a lower freeze point and added Boron
  • Jet-A Kerosene based has a corrosion inhibitor in it.
  • Jet-A1 is Jet A with a static dissipator in it.
  • JP-8 aka NATO F-34 is Jet-A with the static dissipator and a fuel systems icing inhibitor (FSII) in it.
  • JP-8+100 thermal stability increased 100*F from JP-8
DO NOT USE THE FOLLOWING IN DIESEL ENGINES
  • Jet-B is gasoline based DO NOT USE IN DIESEL ENGINES
  • JP-4 aka NATO F-40 aka AVTAG same as Jet B but contains icing inhibitors and corrosion inhibitors DO NOT USE IN DIESEL ENGINES
  • JP-7 Is not a distillate fuel, it's a blended from special stocks and made specially for supersonic aircraft like the SR-71 blackbird and is very, very hard to ignite. It also has an additive in it to make the exhaust invisible to radar:D DO NOT USE IN DIESEL ENGINES

Fordsandguns

Fords Rule
Reaction score
Sounds like it might be worthwhile if you had access to it. He didn't tell me where he got his. I guess if he is getting it free, I can see why! It made me curious because I was told it wasn't good to use. But his engine sounded fine. If I ever find any I'll let you guys know how it does. It's doubtful though.

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
JP7 was refueled from tankers into the SR-71 "up there" because of just that... It didn't ignite very easily on the ground so... The SR-71 takes off with a fuel that gets it up to the refueling tanker where it takes on a load of JP-7 and then dissappears from everything known... Please don't ask here how I know this or how do you fly an SR-71.....:backoff

tonkadoctor

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Sounds like it might be worthwhile if you had access to it. He didn't tell me where he got his. I guess if he is getting it free, I can see why! It made me curious because I was told it wasn't good to use. But his engine sounded fine. If I ever find any I'll let you guys know how it does. It's doubtful though.

Diesel engines run great on kerosene based jet fuels, just make sure you use a GOOD lubricity additive, set aside a little cash for a possible IP down the road and get a case of fuel filters for the first month on it while it cleans the system.