Jesus Freak's WMO tow truck

The_Josh_Bear

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Rust and vehicles is all about the road salts and environment. Here in Western WA we enjoy fairly rust-free vehicles. It rains a lot and stays damp, but we rarely have road salts an it's much lower humidity than other coastal areas.

My pickup rusted more in one winter of road salts(we had a couple bad storms 3-4 years ago) than it had it's whole life before that.

Jesus Freak

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Rust and vehicles is all about the road salts and environment. Here in Western WA we enjoy fairly rust-free vehicles. It rains a lot and stays damp, but we rarely have road salts an it's much lower humidity than other coastal areas.

My pickup rusted more in one winter of road salts(we had a couple bad storms 3-4 years ago) than it had it's whole life before that.
As a rule the vehicles from my area are fine. The tow truck came from St Augustine right on the Atlantic coast, so it's "salty" over there. The atmosphere is salty. Because of the lights on the truck there's a good deal of extra wires under the dash and wherever there's a but connector there's a swollen bunch of green corrosion. I have ALLLLLL sorts of unique electrical grimlins under there to straighten out one day. The steel on the bed is pretty pitted in areas, and the frame does have some spots that make you go," hmmmmmmm", but really it's a brick nose, and I'm not a brick nose guy. I got it for a song and I'm biding my time for a 80-86 cab chassis that has a better frame or for the funky grill to grow on me.......if it doesn't rust off first! I like an airbrushed super model as much as the next guy, but I spend my days with someone I can relate to......rust, wore out parts, need of a fluid change, and all.

Jesus Freak

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The truth comes out..
You must be registered for see images attach
Well......... you know.....but hey, I appreciate ALL ford's. Just some more than others. I even tip my hat to people who buy brand new ford's, i wouldn't/couldn't own one,but I'm glad money is going to THE company that didn't get bailed out by the government!

Edit: I'd trust a Ford Fiesta over a Dodge any day! Lol, I bet the transmission in the fiesta could out do a torque flight 727.

Jesus Freak

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I got home early enough today to do one of my "glass pack stacks". It's not to hard, the pictures are pretty self explanatory. But dude! @Nero , I've only done one and it's A LOT BETTER! After I get the passenger side done and everything welded back together I'll drive it and see what's up. But just reving it in the driveway was WAY different. I'm speculating that it's going to sound like a slightly mellowed out hot rod, loud when you get on it and rumbly with regular driving. I'll report more tomorrow.

Attachments

• IMG_20221218_163706.jpg
    IMG_20221218_163706.jpg
    262.1 KB · Views: 14
  • IMG_20221218_164137.jpg
    IMG_20221218_164137.jpg
    286.7 KB · Views: 14

Cant Write

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Here's a question for those who know, I got to do the exhaust soon on this thing and I want it reasonably quiet. I'm going to do 2.5in from the manifolds to the 4in stacks. I don't want fancy or expensive, so will a pair of 24in Cherry Bombs quiet it down? Or I found a 6in thick straight through thing made by "Upower" on Amazon, do y'all think that might shut it up?
I didn't read this whole thread, I made it to page 3 and its way past my bedtime.

On my '91 V2500 Burb (5.7) I put an exhaust and went with "Turbo" mufflers based on an engine masters episode. Now the TBI chevy needs all the help it can get. So based on the episode, I did Y-pipe to Turbo muffler because it needs all the help it can get and I hate loud exhaust and drone.

If you hold up a turbo muffler, you can see right through it, but based on tests (gas engines) it was a little louder at idle and quieter at load. I can tell you that I love it, idle seems quiet, and load the thing is quiet, and I seem to have more power (~5hp/butt-dyno).

The exhaust shop actually asked me when I came back, "did you expect it to be louder, or quieter...?" I said, quieter I hope. They said it was, but it was NOT what they were expecting.

Jesus Freak

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I didn't read this whole thread, I made it to page 3 and its way past my bedtime.
Well, had you read the whole thing you would have found out that I'm actually making my own glass packs and putting them into the stacks themselves. No worries though. I ended up doing my own exhaust, it was wayyyy too loud, and now I'm shutting it up hopefully. You don't have to read the back story, just hop on the bus here.

Jesus Freak

Full Access Member
Reaction score
EXTRA!! EXTRA!! READ ALL ABOUT IT!!!, Redneck invents glass pack muffler and shuts up obnoxious diesel tow truck!!! My goodness, it's so different and quiet and nice. I can HEAR my engine clatter like a diesel and all the racket that a ZF5 makes. I had figured that the ZF5 in the tow truck was better than the one in my dually because it didn't make all the rollover noise, but it DOES make the noise, I just couldn't hear it. Really, its quiet enough that I could be a repo man and snag cars out of drive ways at 2am and probably wouldn't upset the dogs. I wish I could have done a before and after video, but guys..... well.....I'm so untechnilogical that I drive a mechanically injected diesel and make my own glass packs. If any of you want stacks, but want quiet, this WORKS!!!!!! I'm sooo happy, as if you can't tell!!!!

Jesus Freak

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I knew it would work. I just wasn't sure how quiet they would be when you were done.
I had to deliver a horse trailer about 15miles away, and it does rumble like you expect, but mellowed out hot rod is a good discription. No poppy stuff. It "feels" like it has more power, but what it is is I'm actually pressing the accelerator harder because it's not screaming in my ear. If I put a 12" glass pack just behind the engine, I bet it would make it even quieter. But I'm good with it as it is.

The_Josh_Bear

Full Access Member
Reaction score
EXTRA!! EXTRA!! READ ALL ABOUT IT!!!, Redneck invents glass pack muffler and shuts up obnoxious diesel tow truck!!! My goodness, it's so different and quiet and nice. I can HEAR my engine clatter like a diesel and all the racket that a ZF5 makes. I had figured that the ZF5 in the tow truck was better than the one in my dually because it didn't make all the rollover noise, but it DOES make the noise, I just couldn't hear it. Really, its quiet enough that I could be a repo man and snag cars out of drive ways at 2am and probably wouldn't upset the dogs. I wish I could have done a before and after video, but guys..... well.....I'm so untechnilogical that I drive a mechanically injected diesel and make my own glass packs. If any of you want stacks, but want quiet, this WORKS!!!!!! I'm sooo happy, as if you can't tell!!!!
That's fantastic! I love a good redneck solution that works well, and you got to do it yourself. :Thumbs Up
Nice work! Pics of them installed?

Jesus Freak

Full Access Member
Reaction score
That's fantastic! I love a good redneck solution that works well, and you got to do it yourself. :Thumbs Up
Nice work! Pics of them installed?
Thank you! As far as installed pics, well there's nothing to look at. The idea was that I didn't have anywhere for a muffler, so I invented something and hid it in the stacks. It looks exactly like it has except its quiet.

Jesus Freak

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I want to dedicate this post to @Selahdoor

I didn't have a lot going on today and figured I'd do my headlight wiring harness upgrade. A while back I asked selahdoor to discribe how to make the harness and he did, THANK YOU, @Selahdoor !!! Since I got the truck the high beams didn't work and I figured it was a wire chewed up by a mouse, and by doing the harness my assumption was that I would find it and fix that too. I replaced the headlight switch and connector a couple weeks ago, so I know that part is good. So I ordered relays the other day and got them in the mail and went at it this morning. You can see in the pictures why I assumed a mouse was at fault. Anyway it's done and everything is nice and clean, but still no high beams. It's not the floor switch either. There's a bad wire between the floor switch and headlight somewhere, but I can't find it. Is there a connecter or fuseable link I don't know about? I'm pretty sure I found the bare wire that was blowing the running light fuse too.

Attachments

• IMG_20221220_114921.jpg
    IMG_20221220_114921.jpg
    363.5 KB · Views: 14
  • IMG_20221220_143942.jpg
    IMG_20221220_143942.jpg
    344.7 KB · Views: 14
  • IMG_20221220_114911.jpg
    IMG_20221220_114911.jpg
    496.6 KB · Views: 14

Forum statistics

Threads