It's been 1000 years so I must have a question!!

ericboutin

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hey all! I know it's been like a thousand years since I have been on here; although I peruse every now and then without posting but now I do have a queston and I've searched but I'm not getting the easy answer I need.

I've got the coolant filter mod that I did eons ago and last weekend coming home from Savannah I blew a coolant hose (the only one I didn't replace when I did the mod!! Go figure! Who saw that coming....) Anyway I digress; needless to say it completely drained my coolant. I've got everything fixed on the side of the road (glad I always carry parts) but now I have straight water in the system and I need to add coolant again. I'm going to put a napa 4071 with 4 units DCA or should I get the 6 or 8? Seems like I remember the 4 putting it at the correct levels? I had the no-charge filter on there initially when I did the mod and I used the precharged FleetCharge. Now I'm basically wanting to do the opposite.

So my simple question is - since I'm going to use a precharged filter this time...what kind of anitfreeze can I put in there?

As always thanks in advance!

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
Welcome back to the forum.. I don't think it matters what coolant you use just as long as it doesn't have the DCA already in it... Of course someone will chime in with something more to say and... I'll be watching too. I can learn something about this too...

hesutton

The Anti-Anderson
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Eric, long time no see. Glad to have you back around.

I use a Fleetgaurd filter. It's precharged with 8 units of DCA-4. It keeps the DCA level at the upper side of "normal". I don't know if 4 untis would be enough, but it's better than nothing.;Sweet

The NAPA stuff is DCA-2, which is fine, but be sure to use the DCA-2 test strips.

By the way............. YOU COMING TO THE RALLY THIS YEAR OR WHAT???!!!!:D

Heath

Last edited:

CaptTom

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Don't forget, coolant must be low silicate or ASTM D-4985 rated.

IIRC- 1 pint of SCA to every 4gallons of coolant (pre-mix or 50/50 blend)

Agnem

Using the Force!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Eric? Eric who? Did I hear someone?

LOL

Dude, where have you been? Just because you co-host a rally doesn't mean you are finished with the community.

In the years past, a green coolant like what you were running has gotten harder to get. Most of us are using the pink Fleetcharge, which is green compatible, but has DCA-2 already in it. Just use 4 gallons of that with a zero-charge filter.

Don't be a stranger!

ericboutin

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hokey Dokey then. I guess I'll do like Mel said and just put it back to the way it was. And hopefully (fingers crossed) I won't pop anymore lines and I can just maintain it like Heath does by changing out with the pre-charged filters.

Thanks for all the welcome backs! Felt like I walked into Cheers or something! :D Not so sure about the rally this year either; fuel prices are CRAZY!! So we've been staying kinda close to home. I don't believe we pulled the camper one time this past summer! :eek: Just heading 250 miles down the road can turn into a $200 fuel bill just for the weekend. :puke: But the bad thing about letting the truck sit is crap like this -- you find out about your maintenance problems on the road! Not good!
It does look like a good rally though; I'm really kicking myself in the **** for not going to yours Heath; that was close for me but I believe that was the shaky year for my Dad...Anyway I see there are alot of new faces which is great! Thanks again; I'll work on being around more Mel and not just when I have a question...:rolleyes::D

I'm getting old....where did I buy the FleetCharge? Napa or International?

Agnem

Using the Force!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
What you are thinking of was the Fleetright coolant. That was the cummins made stuff that was green and had DCA-4 in it. I can't find that anywhere. The FleetCHARGE is at Tractor Supply and NAPA.

hesutton

The Anti-Anderson
Supporting Member
Reaction score
What you are thinking of was the Fleetright coolant. That was the cummins made stuff that was green and had DCA-4 in it. I can't find that anywhere. The FleetCHARGE is at Tractor Supply and NAPA.

The cummins stuff is FleetGAURD and is the DCA-4 I use. There are too many dang coolant companies with "Fleet" in their name!!!LOL

Heath

Last edited:

ericboutin

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I do remember the green stuff and that is what I used to use all the time but when I added the coolant filter I got Fleet Charge stuff (Pink); you're right Heath on the dang "Fleet"!! I think that's why I'm getting confused as to where I bought this stuff. I kept the old jugs from the mod and kept a 50/50 mix in two of em and filled the others with water---and dang glad I did cuz that is what I used to fill up the rad the first time. Anyway I knew it had SCA already in it and I was thinking I would do like Heath and just bottle feed it....anyway I will have to hit NAPA tomorrow and do a refill. I've been plugging in the block heater so the water doesn't freeze. Wouldn't you know we would be having cold weather right when the Dewey has straight water in her! LOL Normally it wouldn't be getting below freezing at night.

Hey Joe!! Dang I thought you fell off the face of the earth! I saw you more when you lived 700 miles away than I do now that you're 100!!! LOL I thought we were supposed to get together and fix something on your truck! I can't even remember now what it was!! ;Really:dunnoLOL

Good to know on the O'reily's! ;Sweet I would just go there if I didn't have to get a filter too.

pafixitman

Reaction score
my oil leak! How many years later?????:dunno:dunno

Yep, I will see my truck later tonight. Heading over to my buddy's house after work for a :cheers:. The truck is parked at his house marking his driveway!

ericboutin

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So it's still leaking then...LOL

Alright I gotta go back to my original question. I stopped into O'reilly's to see about their coolant and to see if I could get the filter there too. By the way O'reilly's can cross reference NAPA and they use the same number but put a 2 in front of it. So Yes you can get the NAPA filter at O'reilly's.

Anyway the price for a gallon of coolant.......$23 and change!! :eek: Man I forgot how proud they are of that stuff. So is there a cheaper coolant that I can buy and put in and since I have a coolant filter I can just buy the precharged filter and go that route which I'm thinking has to be cheaper. I think I read somewhere about the Zerex stuff from Wal-Mart (sorry Mel). Anyway what say ya'll??

Thanks again!

gatorman21218

Reaction score
maybe go to a different store? 12-15$ is all I pay for a gallon of fleetcharge up here. diluted with distilled water it turns out to be at most 8 bucks a gallon. NAPA and TSC have it up here. you might call around to heavy equipment places and big truck shops. Ive seen truck stops that have it too.

I suppose any low silicate coolant would do if you add scas to it. you dont even need to use a precharged filter either. you can just add it from a bottle. Napa will have that