IT LIVES!!

Dave7.3

Diesel ******
Reaction score
Finally got the finishing touches completed of my turbo build...I would have more step by step but no camera handy at the time. =(

All I have to say is WOW!

First off, a nice shot of the rig:
You must be registered for see images attach

New Exhaust location:

Underside shot of exhaust:

Crossover pipe:

Crossover pipe (driver's side):

Now the best part, the engine bay:

Now that the picture show is done, I figure I will give a little more detail about this build.

Overall, it fought me tooth and nail to get it done. That is an older "conventional" Hypermax turbo kit with mild modifications.

As you can note i the pictures, I relocated the glow plug relay as well as the senders and the CDR vent location.
For the glow plug unit, I opted to do the banks relocation design. Overall it was planned to give me more room to work on the driver's side. Simple wide strip of flat iron with a bar brazed underneath to accept the bolts for the unit. (Thanks to Dad for the master brazing work...too bad I lost the first set of pictures of it.)

The senders for oil pressure and oil feed line you can see are VERY different. For the oil feed line, I used the port on the back of the block, feeding into a 90* brass fitting, running 3ft of high grade hydraulic line (5000 psi rated). That assembly runs to double tees with each sender for the stock oil sender and my aftermarket one. Seems to do well and shows ~30-35psi oil pressure. I ran with double tees to clear the air cleaner/turbo housing if you were wondering.

The CDR vent...well lets say I didn't want to drill into my valve covers. So I used the banks design once again and ran a line of heater hose to the IP cover plate which I drilled and brazed in a fitting. This might need some adjusting later on. Also fabricated a flat iron bracket to seal the back of the intake manifold.

Exhaust was assisted in custom fabricating by a local muffler shop. The guy that did the crossover pipes was VERY talented and almost copied the hypermax design perfectly without having ever seen it. Only needed me to point him in the direction of how I wanted things. Surprisingly, it was almost the same price had I ordered the pipes from Hypermax. They did a good job sneaking that 3" stainless steel powerstroke downpipe in there too. With me beating the firewall senseless for them.

All in all, a very tiring experience as I had to fabricate almost everything except the turbo, intake hat, and turbo manifold. If I had to do it again, I would definitely pull the engine. No question about it.

The only things I am running into now...is my toasty floorboards. :eek: I had planned to wrap and ceramic paint the up pipes...but I can't get them apart now. I will have to come up with something as about 30min of driving gets the floorboards hot to the touch.

I have to say thanks for the tips I had from various members on this site and FTE. Two to note was Agnem and his awesome Hypermax install write up. Along with Dave Sponaugle on FTE for his expert advice. ;Sweet

Enjoy the pics, videos to come! :sly Old smokey is loud! Although it isn't that bad when the windows are up. The turbo chops up the straight pipe 3" sound pretty well...minus the insane turbo whistle. LOL

Last edited:

dakotajeep

Patrolling
Reaction score
Dude,

Very nice! Glad you got a setup worked out. I know you have had this in the works for awhile now.

Yeah, I would say getting the pipes wrapped will be huge deal.....that and your turbo will spool more....

Thad

RLDSL

Diesel fuel abuser
Reaction score
Wrap your pipes with header wrap, put as much insulation as possible under the carpet and a thermal radiant heat shield on the under side if possible. You can shed most of that exhaust pipe heat. If you don't you will run yourself right out of the cab climbing hills with a load.

Dave7.3

Diesel ******
Reaction score
Dude,

Very nice! Glad you got a setup worked out. I know you have had this in the works for awhile now.

Yeah, I would say getting the pipes wrapped will be huge deal.....that and your turbo will spool more....

Thad

You know it. Project completion after five years since original inception. Looking back I wish I had kept that banks kit, but my finances said otherwise. :eek:

The hypermax team puts together a great kit though, just the matter of installation is the difficult part.

Last edited:

Dave7.3

Diesel ******
Reaction score
thats sweet .Looks great bet it sound awesome ! Keep up the great work! Have a great one.

Oh yeah, I love the sound! Found myself driving often with the windows down to hear that exhaust. Nice and quiet with the windows up though, fortunately. I've ridden in straight piped rigs where you had to yell over the roar to hear one another!

dyoung14, do it man! I really recommend pulling the engine though...I spent weeks slumped over that radiator getting parts fabricated to fit.

In fact, I would be tempted to look into one of those kits designed with the driver's side manifold turbos...much more accessible and easier to install.

RLDSL, I hear ya there...30minutes of heavy driving and I was starting to wonder if I could toss a pan of cookies on the floor and finish baking them by the time I got home. :rotflmao
Thank god I wrapped all of the closeby wiring with some high temp heat wrap. I have a feeling there would be quite a fire if I hadn't...

Thanks for all of the replies guys!

Oh and I have yet to adjust the IP. Will have to do that once I get my boost gauge fitting replaced. I would like to dial it in with boost and my EGTS in mind.

>EGTs so far:

Stock N/A: ~600*F cruising 60mph
Turbocharged: ~450*F cruising 60mph

Heavy throttle (3k),
Stock N/A: 1000*F
Turbocharged: 800*F

dyoung14

Is getting worn out
Reaction score
Oh yeah, I love the sound! Found myself driving often with the windows down to hear that exhaust. Nice and quiet with the windows up though, fortunately. I've ridden in straight piped rigs where you had to yell over the roar to hear one another!

dyoung14, do it man! I really recommend pulling the engine though...I spent weeks slumped over that radiator getting parts fabricated to fit.

In fact, I would be tempted to look into one of those kits designed with the driver's side manifold turbos...much more accessible and easier to install.

RLDSL, I hear ya there...30minutes of heavy driving and I was starting to wonder if I could toss a pan of cookies on the floor and finish baking them by the time I got home. :rotflmao
Thank god I wrapped all of the closeby wiring with some high temp heat wrap. I have a feeling there would be quite a fire if I hadn't...

Thanks for all of the replies guys!

Oh and I have yet to adjust the IP. Will have to do that once I get my boost gauge fitting replaced. I would like to dial it in with boost and my EGTS in mind.

>EGTs so far:

Stock N/A: ~600*F cruising 60mph
Turbocharged: ~450*F cruising 60mph

Heavy throttle (3k),
Stock N/A: 1000*F
Turbocharged: 800*F

Pulling the engin aint happening im so tired of pulling the engine its not even funnyLOL i dont have any money so my turbo venture aint happening for a while

Rot Box

Northern Utah
Reaction score
Looks great ;Sweet

I guess I haven't seen too many Hypermax setups. Using the stock air cleaner housing is kind of cool--does the housing mount up like the old 6.2 ATS kits? :dunno

dakotajeep

Patrolling
Reaction score
The talk about being hunched over the radiator brings back memories! Really wish I still had mine.

If you only use the rig during the winter (not a chance) the additional heat might be kinda nice......j/k

Thad

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cv axle

Members online