It lives!

whitehorse

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I found out why it was getting air in the fuel. The fuel tank vavle on the frame that switched the tanks was bad. Well I took off the front tank and the vavle and put the lines together with some rubber fuel line. So know I have another problem....the gauge is reading way past full on the rear tank. Does anybody know what might be the problem? Sorry still no pics. yet! Tim

Andylad13

DieselBoy
Reaction score
mine reads way passed full on both tanks. like almost 1/4 tank passed full. just figure out your mileage and dont go over that mark, and you will be ok. however if it's something you actually want to fix, you'll probably need a new sending unit.

Diesel JD

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Your problem is that the senders are crap...right out of the box even. Does anybody have a better unit we can use or a fix? I love my Ford but I hate how the gauges are in the Rangers and F-series from this era ):

Agnem

Using the Force!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Actually your problem is that you took out the valve. Without the valve in place, your fuel gages are NON-FUNCTIONAL. This is due to the switching action of the valve's integrated SPDT switch. Reference any year IDI's schematic for details on how to rig up a manual switch if that is what you want to do. Really, your best bet is just to install a new valve.

Diesel JD

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I did not know that the valve was needed to make the gauges work electronically...my bad! Easy enough to fix that. I have the NAPA/Echelin selector valve wired in. It works fine. The only problem is that you need an echelin adpater to wire it up to the Ford wiring. If you can get the valve cheap then you save a few bucks if you pay full retail its probably cheaper to go ahead and get a Ford part. Try Fordparts.com for it unless you have a good relationship with your local Ford parts counter.