Issues yet again.

JustinC00

Reaction score
Howdy all,
I have an issue I brought to y’all about 1 year ago. I have no crank from the key. Now how I fixed it last time was a ran a wire from the ignition switch, to the ignition terminal(small one) on the solenoid. Yes I know bypassing the NSS is bad, but I’m the only one to drive it and it’s all I got. Anyways. I haven’t had any issues with it at all, but now when I turn the key as of last night, the truck will not even turn on the Glow Plug Controller. I have take a multimeter to everything. Batteries are new and charged, I have 12V to the FSS when the key is on(although there isn’t a click as far as I know). Alternator is brand new. I put up a post yesterday, explaining when I was leaving a meeting I went to put it in reverse and it died, some said that it was because of a low idle speed, but I haven’t had any issues until last night. Thank you in advance.

franklin2

Full Access Member
Reaction score
What does the wiring plug near the pass side valve cover look like? It feeds all the wires on top of the engine. It's usually melted.

Cubey

Van dweller
Reaction score
What does the wiring plug near the pass side valve cover look like? It feeds all the wires on top of the engine. It's usually melted.

A pic from my 87 F250 for reference (not melted):

You must be registered for see images attach

gandalf

Reaction score
And here is that same connector after melting. Luckily only the yellow glow plug cables were affected on this one. I simply cut them off and re-routed the power to the glow plug controller.

Attachments

• DSCF9288.JPG
    DSCF9288.JPG
    389.1 KB · Views: 16

The_Josh_Bear

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Did you check the ignition switch adjustment? Sounds like a loose switch to me. It's on the top side of the steering wheel.

Take my advice and drop the column with the two big nuts, then you can easily adjust the switch. For some reason I never did that for years and made it much harder on myself trying to adjust it tucked up under the dash where hands can barely go and you can't see a thing.

JustinC00

Reaction score
Readjusted the switch where it felt right and found some power wires I rerouted to be connected but with a poor reading. I cut them down and used a better connection method and all good again. Thank you all

quickster

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Like Josh says, the ignition switch on the column can be a pain. Sometimes they split open and you lose connection

atc92

Reaction score
Yeah it really sounds like the ignition switch within the steering column. They fall apart and lose connectivity causing key in no start issues. I chased one for a month on a new restoration fox body build. There was even a recall on them. They can cause a fire. The design is terrible and the plastic falls apart. You might need security bits to get the old one off. Some Fords had security bits and others did not.....

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
m2rtin