Is truck work it?

RedneckDrummer

Reaction score
Found this truck,
1988 F250 ex cab 4x4 7.3 5spd 150,000 miles. Driven every once in awhile, runs and drives fine. Trans and clutch strong. No leaks. Never used to pull, only used as another vehicle to get around in. Only problem is you have to have at least 5 gallons of fuel in the tank or it will suck only air.:dunno $3200

Is this truck worth getting or should i pass on this ford? Does it hurt for these idi trucks to sit and not be driven daily?:confused:

Please help me not buy a P.O.S. as my first truck. I want an idi that is not going to have any major problems right when i park it in the driveway.

subway

be nice to the admin :D
Reaction score
sounds like the pickups are broken off in the tanks, the front tank sender can be pulled with out dropping the tank but you will be dropping the rear to fix it.

check out the teck section to read up on buying it. its all a crap shoot until you own it. check it over good for the usual stuff.

you want to be able to start it from cold, that can tell you allot. dont let them warm it up before you get there! also check the radiator for sca's most dont know about it but the charge prevent cavitation.

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
Welcome to the forum.....
The reason you need 5 gallons of fuel in each tank is the suction heads broke off in the tanks. Easy fix. Remove the sender suction heads. Add some rubber hose and a hose clamp... done.. Front tank can stay in the frame but the rear tank has to be dropped or pull off the bed with some strong help.. Price sounds hig but we have no pics or general rust description either...

93f250idi

strokin
Reaction score
should be ok. my truck sat for months at time before i bought it the first time. it was used on a farm as a spare. the sucking air thing isnt that big of a deal most older fords, the pickup tube will break off in the tank. least its not as bad as mine. i cant let mine get below a half or it will suck air

RedneckDrummer

Reaction score
Thanks for the quick replies. Glad to hear the tank problem is an easy fix. I know what cavitation is but I don't know what to look for to tell about sca? Could some one elaborate on this so its clear?

GOOSE

Happy IDI'er
Reaction score
You can buy test strips at Napa to check the state of the coolant in the vehicle. They come in this bottle.

Attachments

• IMG00225-20100714-1744 (2).jpg
    IMG00225-20100714-1744 (2).jpg
    351.8 KB · Views: 3

rhkcommander

Full Access Member
Reaction score
3200 is real high for no turbo unless it is immaculate. Youl want to know if proper maintenance has been done. Oil, coolant, greasing the wheel bearings, u joints, etc.

I'd offer 2k ish. Depending on quality like paint rust dents mileage and wear.

Start it cold, try again after a test drive. If it's hard to start either way then there's some problems.

Good luck, if you do buy it I hope you get off better than I had