Is there any mechanical difference between 158 and 175 hp?

chris142

Full Access Member
Reaction score
When I ran my truck a 8 degrees it was ok but It really likes 9.5 degrees. It's an NA 6.9. If the air filter is nice and new it's not outlandish to think the exhaust is plugged up if it's the original muffler. Then again my truck has pretty good compression 400-430+ psi and it's still pretty slow.
I have a 3 inch exhaust with a big flow master ... Years ago I had the stock system removed and the custom system put on. Made no difference whatsoever in power.... No change at all

WrenchWhore

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have a 3 inch exhaust with a big flow master ... Years ago I had the stock system removed and the custom system put on. Made no difference whatsoever in power.... No change at all
Man If you've got all those new parts, big open exhaust, and a decent fuel system it shouldn't be pathetic. What do you compression numbers look like? Also how big is the truck? I see in your sig it's an identical truck to mine.

chris142

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Man If you've got all those new parts, big open exhaust, and a decent fuel system it shouldn't be pathetic. What do you compression numbers look like? Also how big is the truck? I see in your sig it's an identical truck to mine.
It's all stock as far as size,lift etc. Never checked the compression but it has no blow by and starts without glow plugs

chris142

Full Access Member
Reaction score
It's all stock as far as size,lift etc. Never checked the compression but it has no blow by and starts without glow plugs
You can get a glimpse of it here.

xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

chris142

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I think my injection pump is dead. Brought home my timing tools. I was told 8.5 btdc @2000 rpm. It's maxed out,won't turn no more and is only @6btdc

Jesus Freak

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I think my injection pump is dead. Brought home my timing tools. I was told 8.5 btdc @2000 rpm. It's maxed out,won't turn no more and is only @6btdc
Hey, there you go! Your a couple teeth off on the IP timing gear! BAM!

chris142

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hey, there you go! Your a couple teeth off on the IP timing gear! BAM!
I've never had it off. As the pump ages the pump retards. I think the pump is so worn that I can't adjust any more timing into it

Brian VT

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You turn it to the passenger side and the timing doesn't advance?
Or are you saying that you can't physically turn it any further? You've loosened the hard lines and it still won't turn any further?
Usually the sign of a bad pump is that it will start fine when cold but doesn't want to restart when warm. Pouring water on it will often get it to start but that's just a stay of execution.

chris142

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You turn it to the passenger side and the timing doesn't advance?
Or are you saying that you can't physically turn it any further?
. Yes. It's bottoming out on the grooves the studs go through that hold the pump to the timing cover.

IDIBRONCO

IDIBRONCO
Reaction score
I've never had it off. As the pump ages the pump retards. I think the pump is so worn that I can't adjust any more timing into it
Well that would certainly explain your lack of power.
Usually the sign of a bad pump is that it will start fine when cold but doesn't want to restart when warm.
It's only one sign although it may be the most common sign.

chris142

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well that would certainly explain your lack of power.

It's only one sign although it may be the most common sign.
It was 215+ this summer and no starting problem at all. Even after running the ac

Booyah45828

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I don't think being at 6 is your issue. Mine likes and is set at 6.5 fwiw. It's also in a school bus, which is significantly heavier then most trucks/trailers on here, and can do 70 mph. From your video, with the little bit of running that I heard, it sounds like it's timed close enough, as I can faintly hear the fuel clatter. If your timing is too retarded, the fuel won't clatter, and it will sound more like a big block gas engine, vs a clattering diesel.

And that 6 degrees is assuming you have the tool set up right. I've got both a j33300 timing meter and a snap on mt257 with a timing light, because I wasn't 100% certain in myself. Using the light was just reassurance that the meter was correct.

Bear in mind, no NA idi will ever be a hotrod in my eyes. Modern trucks are just so far ahead of the old stuff it's not funny. Trailers that you needed a 1 ton diesel for 30 years ago can be done by a half ton ecoboost now, and the ecoboost will do it faster, stop it sooner, and get it done with better fuel mileage.

But, the big thing to a low power complaint is are you seeing black smoke out the exhaust? If not, then you're short on fuel, from filters, clogged pickup, bad fsv, pinched hose, you name it. If you do have smoke, you can move the pump a tooth, and then retry timing it at 8.5. But I wouldn't count on that 2 degrees waking it up considerably.

Pumps aren't cheap. I would be certain the pump is faulty before I threw one at it. If one was faulty, I feel you wouldn't have smoke either.