Is there a preffered engine oil for a 94 IDIT?

DrCharles

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I do like the Stanadyne and Hot shots diesel fuel treatments. I can easily hear the difference. I normally dose mine to one repurposed 220ml plastic whisky bottlefull to $20 worth of diesel fuel.

$20 worth? In CA I thought that would only buy a "spray a little behind my ear" quantity... :sly

So 4-5 gallons of diesel and you're putting 220 ml (almost 8 oz.) isn't that about four times what the manufacturer recommends? :dunno

IDIBRONCO

IDIBRONCO
Reaction score
So 4-5 gallons of diesel and you're putting 220 ml (almost 8 oz.) isn't that about four times what the manufacturer recommends? :dunno
I believe that the Hot Shots Diesel Extreme calls for 8oz/20 gal so it looks like your math was spot on.

chris142

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The longer filter makes it much easier to get the filter on and off.

BeastMaster

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yeh, I am doing overkill. I make lots of short trips.
4-5 gallons of diesel and you're putting 220 ml (almost 8 oz.) isn't that about four times what the manufacturer recommends? :dunno

I figure it makes up for occasional skipped dosings. That IP is expensive and I want it to last as long as I can.

PROFG

Full Access Member
Reaction score
WALMART.COM now lists FL1995 for $22.53 or 6 for $100. What walmart do you get them for $10? NAPAonline does not list them now.

IDIBRONCO

IDIBRONCO
Reaction score
I picked mine up off of the shelf in the Hays, KS one about a month ago. I grabbed it for future use. It's not near time to change the oil yet. Maybe the online price is different because I know that someone else posted that price too.

ISPKI

Welding/metallurgical engineer/Metalsmith
Reaction score
Keep in mind, these engines take alot of oil. I buy Delvac at my local tractor supply in 5 gallon drums and that gives me a good bit left to top it off between changes. Unlike a car, that oil is going to be black as charcoal in a few hundred miles. Best to keep fresh, cheap oil flowing more often than try to push the intervals.

chillman88

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Walmart.com is kinda like Amazon. They list the same thing a few different times by different sellers. Have to be careful sometimes.

PROFG

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks, got 2, 4 left. Had to list sku in " " to find it.

PROFG

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Is there any way to flush ALL the old oil from system (cooler, aux cooler, sump, etc.)?

saburai

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Is there any way to flush ALL the old oil from system (cooler, aux cooler, sump, etc.)?
I don't know about *all* buy if you have money to waste, a few oil changes with just a few minutes running in between would do a good flush I'd imagine. Of course you'd still have whatever sludge was built up in the pan and other nooks where it might accumulate. The question is why the desire to remove *all* of the oil?? I mean with out disassembly, your still going to have a oil film...

Rusgo

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Seriously true and the fuel additive. I used hot shot for the first time the other day. Sounded and felt smoother 5 minutes after putting it in. Need to read about that some.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

Noiseydiesel

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My 127K '94 idit drinks oil. About a quart in less than 500 miles. Smokes on start up cold or warm and then clears out. Wonderful indicator of really bad valve seals. I am running Delo 15/40 and will eventually get those seals replaced . . next. . . , . . . month?
That truck so far has en a money pit with the repairs and maintenance and is currently looking at a trailer controller upgrade. There goes another $150.