Is it worth the money 92 IDI

AKBoling

Reaction score
I found a 92 7.3 IDI 4x4 with the ZF 5 speed for sale with only 90k original miles. The truck belongs to an older couple and looks basically as new as a 92' can look. They are asking $5500, is this a fair price considering the limited market up here in AK? Also is there anything in particular I should look for in a truck from this era with limited use. Your input is greatly appreciated as I am new to these trucks. I'm just looking for a gutless tractor that will last forever and get decent fuel mileage.

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
Welcome to the forum. Might ask if the engine is original and if the coolant has the needed SCA in it. Look for rust and drive it. Try to be there when the engine is cold started. If the engine has been on the block heater or warmed up you will have no idea if the glow plugs work. My engine can sit for a week not running but will fire up on the second revolution of the crank. The faster the engine cranks the easier it will be to start. All diesels fire by compression. This means the compression heats up the air enough to ignite the diesel. The faster you compress the air the hotter it gets. Diesel needs 942 degrees to ignite.

F350camper

BOOST!
Reaction score
When you test drive it, make sure to adjust a mirror so you can see the tail pipe. If there is any smoke, you want only black smoke when going up hill, and no smoke going down hill against compression. Price seems fair to me if everything is in order, but I really dont follow the resale market for these...

AKBoling

Reaction score
Thanks for the input I'm aware of the possible cavitation issues. Yeah I would like to be there for a cold start however the truck is 4 hours away so I may have a hard time confirming if its been run recently or not. The only thing the lady told me was that it had a bit of tailpipe smoke, the truck lives in a 35mph town at the end of the road. She believes it just needs a good road trip to clean it up. 5500 seems like a fair price and there's nothing else around that's even remotely comparable as far as mileage and condition. I'm hoping I may have found a diamond in the rough. I've got about 8k to spend on a truck. If I could pick this up for around $5k I'd be left with around 3k to spruce it up a bit or potentially even turbo it. BTW this is a supercab XLT longbed. I currently drive an 09 Toyota Tundra which had tons of power so this will be an adjustment for sure. Im just tired of payments and electronics and clean exhaust. I want a truck I can put 500k miles on.

AKBoling

Reaction score
Original owner and original engine and transmission. I asked about the coolant and it has the required additive and has been tested regularly. From my research glow plugs aren't ungodly expensive or to incredibly difficult to replace so that wouldn't be a deal breaker. It does get cold as **** up here in the winters so a block heater will be a must as well as good glow plugs.

towcat

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
fair price.
I just sold a clean '93 for $5k. It was on the market for three days.
7.3/ZF5/4.10ls
there's still a very hot market for clean ZF5 trucks.

Attachments

• P1040383.JPG
    P1040383.JPG
    157 KB · Views: 22
  • P1040385.JPG
    P1040385.JPG
    157 KB · Views: 19

FORDF250HDXLT

The life of an Indian is like the wings of the air
Supporting Member
Reaction score

Attachments

• 00k0k_18f6gG4OAjd_600x450.jpg
    00k0k_18f6gG4OAjd_600x450.jpg
    41.4 KB · Views: 103
Last edited:

FORDF250HDXLT

Supporting Member
Reaction score
fyi:

'92 was the split year for the upgraded charging system.
in '92.5 the idi received the far superior 3G alternator! along with the upgraded engine driven belt system- serpentine.

looking at the pics it appears to be the '92.5 w/ the 3G alt!;Sweet

these suckers will throw out the amps at idle that will make the previous gen wish they had at max rpms!;) with the simple no fuss built in voltage regulator,superior cooling and bearings to boot!

Attachments

• 00N0N_4BswGfSpLr9_600x450.jpg
    00N0N_4BswGfSpLr9_600x450.jpg
    44.4 KB · Views: 100

HS108

Diesel Newb
Reaction score
Id buy it for that price!!! Paod 4600 for mine with double the miles. The owner is right, it probably doesnt get up to operating temp very often, Im sure a good 4 hour drive with some hills can get it nice and warm help clean it out, they like to be run hard :sly:

I dont see many people post about it anymore, but a good dose of autoRX could help do some magic on it as well

AKBoling

Reaction score
she's clean! grab it then buy a banks turbo kit for her with your left over $ before they go out of production.:sly

installation of the 2nd generation banks turbo sidewinder kit (w/instructions & pics)

Banks Sidewinder will be no more.

I was looking at the banks kit, does it come with everything needed to complete the build? Will it work with stock IP and injectors or do these need to be upgraded. I'm not looking to push the truck to its limits, I'm mostly interested in efficiency and reliability. The truck would be used as a daily drive on my 35mi commute and occasionally tow around 10k max. Speed limits are mostly 55 around these parts so I don't need crazy power and i'm not in that big of a hurry anyway.

AKBoling

Reaction score
Also just an FYI prices on everything in Ak are higher than the lower 48 for example its often cheaper to buy a new vehicle from Idaho and ship it up on the barge than purchase it local. With a limited market and higher freight costs to get stuff up here there is a bit of inflation.

FORDF250HDXLT

Supporting Member
Reaction score
yes.they come with every nut and bolt,gasket,o-ring etc to totally transform the truck from it's current n/a state with around 10 lb of boost......in a day or weekend.

edit; oops.
yes.the kit works with factory spec ip/injectors.however with the miles on the truck,yours would be ideally swapped out now for a complete tune up.
i recommend the pro's over at Conestoga diesel!;Sweet (grade A+ service! i went with the bull moose as im intercooled as well.;Really )

Last edited:

dunk

Dunce
Reaction score
I paid $4k for my '86 crew cab with turbo and C6 trans. Body had some shoddily patched rust in a few minor places and good paint. The C6 hurts the value but the turbo adds value, so I figure it's comparable to a ZF5 NA truck. Also mine has a D60 up front so that adds some vs a TTB front. So down here figure that truck would be in the $4000-$4500 range... Add $1k AK rarity surcharge and it seems like a reasonable price. Swap a D60 up front, add a turbo, new IP and injectors if needed and call it a day, good for another 30 years if you can keep it from rusting. Compare price to what you can get in the PNW states and the cost to go get it or transport.