Ip going out or something else

Jholdeman

Reaction score
Hi I'm a fresh one on here ,i have a 1988 f350 7.3 na , heres what happens i pulled this truck outa the weeds an started using it as my daily driver, been driving it for couple months now ,driving no more than 40 minute at a time usually alot less been doin good. I had a lift pump go out an i put a electric mr gasket on there an it ran good for a while but i just went aways from home for work bout three hours ,ans it dies twice on me ,leaving me on the side of the road for 30 mins both times, first time i bled all the air to the filter an then cracked injector line (1&5) an got some air out an it crunk up while the lineslines we're cracked an rain good for 30 miles an started sounded like weak and missing just a little bit drove for a while an died again this time it had no air an no fuel to injectors but I had tried jump in the fss also it wouldn't crank on ether or wd40 an had to wait on someone to come jump me off! An it alsudden fired up !Got to where I was going an now I checkedthe fuel pressure an it was low like 1-1/2 psian none wen u hit the gas. So I put a new mechanical one on and i have great pressure an volume but there sounds like a slight miss or hesitation. Any idea from y'all ? Thanks in advance

Thewespaul

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Have you changed your fuel filter since reviving it? It could be that your filter is clogged from algae.

Jholdeman

Reaction score
Yea I have put a new one on an the first Time it died I filled the filter with a whole can of sea foam

Thewespaul

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Try replacing it again and topping off the tanks with fresh diesel. It sounds to me like you’ve got some crud in the tanks from it sitting a long time.

Jholdeman

Reaction score
My fuel gauge went out a while ago an the selector quite working but it stuck on the front tank is there anyway that thing could cause it to suck air, it's not leaking diesel or anything

Jholdeman

Reaction score
Also it always has blue smoked on deceleration but I run sea foam thru it quite often

YJMike92

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'm thinking a fuel gauge at the filter might be pretty handy at his point. Maybe a clear piece of hose temporarily installed in line somewhere to watch the fuel flow.

Jholdeman

Reaction score
When I checked it last was after the new mechanical pump an it was a 5 psi an when I revved it up it was like 3.5 but I just wanna be able to make this 3 hour drive home tomorrow evening with no hiccups

riphip

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
How low is your fuel in tank? You say the gauge is not working. Could be showerhead gone. Stop at 1st diesel station & fill up or put 5-10 gallons of fuel in the tank you are running on to see if it makes a difference. Don't run these trucks low on fuel, you will regret it

Jholdeman

Reaction score
I been counting the miles but I just filled up b4 the pump change so IIts still over 3/4

riphip

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
You may even have some moisture in the tank(s) from it being parked for a while. Dose it with some Hot Shot Secret Diesel Extreme. When mine gets finicky, I use 1/2 bottle in each tank + 1 quart of cheap tranny fluid in each tank. Like giving a kid Castor Oil (old times), it gets the innerds moving. Can get at AutoZone

riphip

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I don't know if O'reilly's & Advance Auto carries or not. You can Google Hot Shot Secret & get it straight from factory but will also tell you where you can buy. Great stuff, I love it & the EDT

Jholdeman

Reaction score
Well thanks for that I'll be trying it today after work, I'll try to find that an some tranny fluid see if I can't get a lil more kick outa her!

Jholdeman

Reaction score
One more question what size bottle are u talking about of the stuff ? And what does the tranny fluid do for it?

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
IDIBronco86

Members online