Ip going out or something else

bbjordan

Snow Monkey
Reaction score
checked the shrader valve an jus got air out so turned it over tell just fuel ran out and with a small shot of ether it fired off an had to keep it revved up for a but to get it back rite, so what's that sound like to yall?

Sounds like the lift pump is sucking air.

YJMike92

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Sounds like the lift pump is sucking air.
Ditto on the lift pump sucking air. Based upon the information that air was coming out of your Shrader valve upon initial bleeding after it stalled out.

"Checked the Shrader valve an just got air out so turned it over until just fuel ran out and with a small shot of ether it fired off an had to keep it revved up for a but to get it back right, so what's that sound like to yall?"

Jholdeman

Reaction score
Is there anyway the fsv can be letting air in or something? Cuz like I said earlier fuel gauge got stuck past full an when I hit the selector switch nothing happens ,but I have run probably 5 tanks of fuel thru since that happened on the front tank

YJMike92

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Is there anyway the fsv can be letting air in or something? Cuz like I said earlier fuel gauge got stuck past full an when I hit the selector switch nothing happens ,but I have run probably 5 tanks of fuel thru since that happened on the front tank
Yes, it is possible. It sounds like you are sucking air somewhere before the lift pump. It could be anywhere back to the fuel tanks. The only way I can think you are getting air in the system at the fuel filter is to pull it in before the pump.

Thewespaul

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
If you are getting air at the schrader you are sucking air, but generally if that was the main issue when driving it would have been surging pretty bad and smoking on acceleration not decel, and now that it won’t fire up even with either kinda points at more of an ip issue. I think you’ve got more than one issue going on, but I’m leaning to a bad ip. You can eliminate any air leaks in the line by running the truck off a jerry can, just take the soft line off the lift pump and run it into the can, if it starts and runs fine off that I would replace the selector valve

Jholdeman

Reaction score
Just a update guys took a IP pump off a parts truck we had an installed it an made sure to keep the time right and bled the lines out an got it running an she run good no smoke on deceleration that I could see, but after a lily bit started doing the same thing , died on the road pulled it to the shop an got air out an filter was sucked down, lift pump was pumping strong stream out ,so I eliminated the fsv and now I can get it to prime back up! So that's what I'm working on Now

mexicanjoe

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Are you sure the lift pump arm is engaging the cam correctly?? If not installed correctly it will run but not for long,according to my info

Jholdeman

Reaction score
I have a electric pump that puts out like 9-11 psi that I'm gonna throw on there an se if we can't get it to prime out with out running the starter out

Jholdeman

Reaction score
She's running great finally put 200 miles on with great power an no hiccups, only question I have is how do i no if my timing is good on the pump ? I have good power, no smoke at all not black or blue or grey, and she starts up fast when hot, but I have 12.5-13 mpg that I can tell of, bout the same as before little better but also seems like there me be a little vibration or shake or rattle but not like a lot

renjaminfrankln

Full Access Member
Reaction score
She's running great finally put 200 miles on with great power an no hiccups, only question I have is how do i no if my timing is good on the pump ? I have good power, no smoke at all not black or blue or grey, and she starts up fast when hot, but I have 12.5-13 mpg that I can tell of, bout the same as before little better but also seems like there me be a little vibration or shake or rattle but not like a lot

12-13 sounds normal for a normally aspirated truck

roughness might be injectors

YJMike92

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Good to hear it's running well. What did you do to fix it?

Jholdeman

Reaction score
I changed out bout all the plastic supply line coming from the front tank with rubber hose (bypassing the selector valve also)an I think there might have been a crack in the line cuz it broke up when I messed with it but also installed a e-pump that's puts out 9-11 psi ,on the frame rail. I also changed out the ip pump from a parts truck, I think my original one was bad cuz I have more power little better mpg and no smoke on deceleration and it crank up cold or hot just as fast as I hit the key after cycling the glow plugs on the colder mornings! I would like to thank everyone on there inputs.I have used this site a lot before to figure other stuff out about my truck since I have got it out of the weeds!

YJMike92

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I changed out bout all the plastic supply line coming from the front tank with rubber hose (bypassing the selector valve also)an I think there might have been a crack in the line cuz it broke up when I messed with it but also installed a e-pump that's puts out 9-11 psi ,on the frame rail. I also changed out the ip pump from a parts truck, I think my original one was bad cuz I have more power little better mpg and no smoke on deceleration and it crank up cold or hot just as fast as I hit the key after cycling the glow plugs on the colder mornings! I would like to thank everyone on there inputs.I have used this site a lot before to figure other stuff out about my truck since I have got it out of the weeds!
Thanks for posting what you found. It helps all of us.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
William88