Introducing MOOSE BOOST!

77f250diesel

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Not sure how they get that bolt center to center on the long side measurement...1"? The center hole opening length is 2.37

Hmmm, That should read 3.375.

You must be registered for see images attach

Couldn't edit the print so had to write over it.

Last edited:

Agnem

Using the Force!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Thanks for the continued good comments and discussion. I'll have more information to pass along as the months wear on. Not only will Heath be doing his adaptation, but I hope to have something tangible and running on Graham's Iron Moose in the near future. Someone asked about a kit. Don't hold me to it, but I'm shooting for a $2200 price point. That's well within the competitive boundary of Hypermax and Banks. As for all the other stuff that is needed to support this kit, you guys are really the ones who determine that. Yes, studs and an intercooler are definitely recommended, and pretty much what I had in mind when selecting this turbo. However, I am going to continue to develop a lower option for those with a Baby or Junior Moose. I may also explore a journal bearing option for those looking for a more common experience. The whole point of this thread was not really to open a can of worms. It was just a product announcement, so you all would know what I am working on. It had been mentioned as a foot note in the rally discussion, and I thought it would be appropriate to come forward and share the same info for those of you who could not make it.

laserjock

Almost there...
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Mel, That's the information I was looking for. Please do keep us posted as to when kits will be available main stream. ;Sweet I may have to pop up for a visit. Lancaster County isnt that far away.

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
The 2200.00 kit price is very reasonable compared to what Banks wants for the turbo they sel for our engines. I understand its $1800.00 now. In 2006 I paid $1100.00 for it. What I got was a banks sidewinder wastegated turbo. No mounts or other parts. Just 4 nuts to the up pipe manifold and it was installed. But those 4 nuts are hell to get at. Some need the turbo housing tilted one way or they will never get the nuts to start.

dsltech83

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks for the continued good comments and discussion. I'll have more information to pass along as the months wear on. Not only will Heath be doing his adaptation, but I hope to have something tangible and running on Graham's Iron Moose in the near future. Someone asked about a kit. Don't hold me to it, but I'm shooting for a $2200 price point. That's well within the competitive boundary of Hypermax and Banks. As for all the other stuff that is needed to support this kit, you guys are really the ones who determine that. Yes, studs and an intercooler are definitely recommended, and pretty much what I had in mind when selecting this turbo. However, I am going to continue to develop a lower option for those with a Baby or Junior Moose. I may also explore a journal bearing option for those looking for a more common experience. The whole point of this thread was not really to open a can of worms. It was just a product announcement, so you all would know what I am working on. It had been mentioned as a foot note in the rally discussion, and I thought it would be appropriate to come forward and share the same info for those of you who could not make it.
Is your mounting going to be based off of hypermax's mounting system I guess? I will definitely be interested in a kit eventually, please keep us posted. People like you keep these old things on the road.

Thanks for the work and effort that you put into these old rigs, i'd take my 6.9 over any of the new ones for any job, I have seen a $60,000 truck stopped dead in it's tracks by a $50 part, and short of having a laptop and full toolbox (and sometimes a lift) they are hard to fix on the side of the road.

Agnem

Using the Force!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I have an ATS kit that I am going to be working with next, to see what I can come up with to offer those and Ford factory turbo owners equivalent upgrades. Thanks for the interest gang!

bab029

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I was expecting 2500 for the turbo with no kit, so 2200 would be a steal for what you are getting, considering the standard three options go for just shy of 2k new...

War Wagon

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks for the work and effort that you put into these old rigs, i'd take my 6.9 over any of the new ones for any job, I have seen a $60,000 truck stopped dead in it's tracks by a $50 part, and short of having a laptop and full toolbox (and sometimes a lift) they are hard to fix on the side of the road.

This is true. Just one of the reasons I've kept mine a plain old mechanical IDI.

X-NRCan_IDI

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I don't have the funds to even think about buying a turbo right now, but when I do, I know where I'm getting it! Definitely a great deal compared to the other kits available IMHO. :hail

aofarrell2

Turbo Desirous
Reaction score
Well this was quite a interesting read here...

Not that I have a IDI, but I didn't think there was a good solution for turbos out there for the IDI for those who wanted to really pump the fuel, and I didn't like the idea of the big 3 kits at all when I was looking at a IDI and turboing it, they just didn't seem quite right for the price, I could have bought a junkyard turbo and retrofitted it...

So Agnem, keep it up, hope it works better than you think. And remember Agnem, people will squawk about wanting better performance parts, then when someone does try they squawk at them about it... I know that from personal experience over in the Dodge world (they are worse cynics, I was discussing a new engine I'd been developing for them).

That's my .04 (not .02 anymore since Obama Fed Flation...)

And for everyone else who brought up about Cummins swaps etc., a Cummins swap can NOT be done for $2500, unless you got a parts truck for $1000 or less, just the engine is worth several thousand if it runs. If you've done a swap for $2500 or less, then I'd really like to know how you cut corners. Otherwise keep your mouth shut, no need to bring that crap up here, this isn't about Cummins swaps vs. IDI turbos, it's solely about IDI turbos...

Nothing personal but the fact that your marketing an UNTESTED product is just pure stupidity, running it on a test vehicle (in this case a member bought the kit so you lucked out) is just part of the R&D cost. Frankly the only reason you beat idiperformance.com to the market with a turbo kit is because hes currently running them on multiple test vehicles, including his own (his is for the stock/ATS turbo setup though). Oh and just for the record even with water cooling you still have to worry about hot shut downs, just now you have water and oil to boil/coke vs just oil but they do run a tad lower temp wise.

Now that I got the negative comments out of the way, looks like a good product that should hold up well.

Everything was UNTESTED at some point, so reword better, if you even really HAD to say it at all, and it isn't pure stupidity either. you come across as attacking, I know what it's like to be attacked so I don't like it when I see it done to others.

Water cooling is, IMO, much better than oil only cooling for something like a turbo, water can cool faster which means it can reject more heat which in turn keeps the whole shebang cooler. And any engine still has to worry about hot shutdowns whether it is water, air, or oil cooled and whether it is turbo'd or not...

And I wasn't originally intending to butt in on this thread but all the BS had to have some counter. And don't give me your ****, keep it to yourself...

Also BTW I usually don't post like this on forums, this time I was just upset enough about all the NEGATIVE comments...

derjackistweg

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Interesting idea to put a modern turbo on an old school diesel.
Actually I am looking for a kid to put on my coming idi quigley van. as i am living in Germany/Europe and we only have part time speed limit i want more power out of it- but with reliability at 80mph.

i could be wrong but i have not yet read in 6 sites anything like test. so there is nothing proving about this set? anything about temperatures (water, oil, egt, cylinder head), mpg, output on a dyno?
on 6 sites nothing more than therorie?

When manufactures like banks or so launch a product to the market the retail price is very much higher than all the additional parts (Lila an iPhone is much more expensive than 80$, what the parts cost). so putting a better turbo on an existing kit could of course get a better product- but it's not proven.

eg i am wondering if the small hyper max exaust could manage the bigger turbo/exaust gas amount (backpressure).

Timemachines

Full Access Member
Reaction score
This is great glad there's others out there knowing the idi will never die. they run to good lol. Can't wait to get one.

derjackistweg

Full Access Member
Reaction score
This is great glad there's others out there knowing the idi will never die. they run to good lol. Can't wait to get one.

I actually don't think that the idi is so well! Every engine with just over 25 HP/l will last for miles and miles.
If you bring it up to 70hp/l like a 3l BMW diesel engine it will die soon...

rowingdude

Reaction score
Any ideas on a complete kit (pump, injectors, turbo kit)? That way we can go buy a junkyard IDI, dress it up nicely with new gaskets, studs, etc, and then apply all this goodness to it!

Also, I was curious about the exhaust manifold, is there a reason the turbo has to be placed where it is? Can't it be run to the side like in every other turbo application? I know this would mean moving the passenger side battery, but I was just curious.

Thanks

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Grizzly Wrecker