Interesting Situation with a 6.9 liter IDI, seeking advice

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
About the Nappa radiater. How many tube rows is it and how many fins per inch does the core have. OEM was 15 or 16 fins per inch and that was a 4 row radiater. No amount of talking is going to make a 3 row dimple core radiater cool our idi engines. From all my experience here I feel an aluminum radiater is the best bet for our engines cooling issues. Then run steam distilled water and about 35% coolant. Distilled water is non conductive so you wont have an electrolysis issue and the 35% coolant instead of a 50/50 cools better. Nothing cools better than water. Well maybe ammonia will but thats a horrible hazard when it leaks. Many here have installed the Champion aluminum radiaters and felt they worked great. Myself and a few others went the very costly route and purchased the aluminum custom built Rodney Red. I never have any cooling issues now. If anything I try to make my temps hotter and usually only see about 185 to 190 degrees. Kind of too cool. If you decide to change the radiater check the fan clutch for dirt buildup on the thermostatic spring. If seen please replace the clutch because its leaking and is shot. Use only the factory oem clutch. The other crappy aftermarket ones just can't hold up and are a proven waste of time and money. This is from many members that have tried going the cheaper fan path... And lived to regret it.

Kevin 007

Full-floater
Reaction score
When you advise to use only OEM fan clutch, are they one of those things you want to be from Ford/IH? I have always bought Hayden clutches, never had an issue.

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
Yes.. Many here have tried the Hayden clutch and had nothing but trouble with them. the ford oe international units are the ones I will use. some of us have tried the MS Tech that has the spring modified to lock up at a lower temp. I run that type now.. Its become very expensive for the small modification done to the spring. They take a stock clutch from ford. Remove about 1/4 or 3/8 inch from it and reinstall it. Now it locks up when the temp of coolant hits around 210 degrees. Some of the oem ford units were found to lock up around 240 degrees.. Not a safe area to be in. Ask around here what others have found to be true bout the fan clutch. I listen to opinions but believe in hard facts from those that can run something that works. I still have to ask.. How did you do that because theres always a story how it done... I'm surprised you have a Hayden on your rig and it working well for you. That has not been the norm seen here from many members that have tried them.

oregon96psd

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Use only the factory oem clutch. The other crappy aftermarket ones just can't hold up and are a proven waste of time and money.

Some of the oem ford units were found to lock up around 240 degrees...

So it sounds like neither one is worth a dam.....:dunno