Installed turbo kit

Dski1991

Reaction score
Hi guys,

I have a question for y’all that installed a turbo kit onto your trucks.

Did you guys poke holes into the screen where the oil returns from your turbo? It’s the draining hole where the CDR would be at originally.

Reason I’m asking is because my oil pressure is a lot higher from stock. I saw a guy on YouTube saying that there should be holes poked due to the larger amount of oil coming from the turbo.

I know the stock gauges are not the best but it’s just weird that it’s doing that now.

Thank you,

Devin

Philip1

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Yes you should poke holes into the baffle. If you do not, it can cause the oil to back up in the turbo drain and either pressurize the turbo or cause a leak at the grommet. Do not drill holes into the baffle however because you will put metal into your engine

miles1400

Full Access Member
Reaction score
yes i poked holes for the drain. do not use a drill because you do not want metal shavings in your engine. we had used a ladys foot pry bar and a hammer to poke the holes because the end had a point.

it is also alot easier to install the turbo kit with the hood off

The_Josh_Bear

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I never did any of that and as far as I know it's ok... but I would do it for sure if I did another install. Didn't know about it at the time.

But to your thought about it raising oil pressure I can't imagine that it would. It's just a gravity return. I would say if your pressure is actually different now then you'd have a very large oil leak on your hands.

But otherwise it's the dummy gauge being stupid.
The stock gauges on most of our rigs are not variable at all but are actually on/off switches set to a very low pressure. I think 86 and older have a real oil pressure gauge and newer have the switch type.

homelessduck

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If you have a 6.9 with the original valley pan then yes you need to poke a few drain holes. If it has been replaced it likely has the updated valley pan that does not require the extra holes.

firfyter

Reaction score
Mine was using so much oil so I paid a shop to pull the turbo and poke holes underneath in a pan so the oil could drain back down faster. Also they gave me a valve cover from a turbo engine that has a baffle covering the cdr hole and those two mods really helped my oil consumption. Mine is a 87 F350 with a 6.9 ATS turbo.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

Robm45497

Reaction score
I didn't do it the first time and it presurized and leaked very bad. Had to then do it in the truck and it was a pain in the ass.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Tyler9828