Inline filters.

Cubey

Van dweller
Reaction score
I do not understand why some install inline filters. I have run my truck for 23 years so far with ONLY the factory spin on filter on the passenger side of the engine. I do change that filter every 15,000 miles.

The new FSV says filters must be used or warranty is void. I guess the AutoZone clerk wouldn't know the difference, but if it keeps it from going bad, that's a good thing for me. Plus I have an epump setup so it also needs the filtration to protect it.

I have a Racor also for the W/S function on my RV since the original W/S was missing.

typ4

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Napa 3270 inline 3/8 wire mesh screen, gas or diesel.

Napa 3248 inline 1/2 wire mesh screen, gas or diesel.

Napa 600462 1/4 inline wire mesh, gas or diesel

Napa 000461 5/16 inline wire mesh ,gas or diesel.

Some cellulose,,,, paper filters dont like diesel

notenuftime

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I don't have a FSV anymore, the thought did cross my mind to run without one. I've been under my truck a lot the past couple of days figuring this out and don't feel like going back under lol. I got a new fresh fuel tank as well so...

79jasper

Chickenhawk
Reaction score
I do not understand why some install inline filters. I have run my truck for 23 years so far with ONLY the factory spin on filter on the passenger side of the engine. I do change that filter every 15,000 miles.
Ford hasn't been known for having great filtration on the diesels....

Sent from my SM-G988U using Tapatalk

catbird7

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Here's one I bought from summit, planned to install just upstream of frame mounted electric fuel pump. Idea is this filter will clog before the factory filter, and replacement filter for this is far less expensive than factory filter. Ball valve positioned before and after the filter would make element changes pretty slick.

71 Highboy

Reaction score
Here's one I bought from summit, planned to install just upstream of frame mounted electric fuel pump. Idea is this filter will clog before the factory filter, and replacement filter for this is far less expensive than factory filter. Ball valve positioned before and after the filter would make element changes pretty slick.

I have a sediment bowl from NAPA mounted right under the cab where my 3 way fuel selector valve is located. It has a screen on the output side, and a clear bowl so you can visually check for debris, with a shutoff on the inlet side for easy cleaning. This is the first stop for crap, and protects the lift pump,electric pump, f/w separator, and stock filter head, which are all downstream. No bad days!!!

chris142

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Most of the inline clamp on filters are 10 micron. They will plug up real fast.

Cubey

Van dweller
Reaction score
Most of the inline clamp on filters are 10 micron. They will plug up real fast.

I only time I had to replace such a filter (on my F250) was when fuel gelled on a very cold morning and it collapsed in the element when the pump turned on. Once the fuel thawed, it still ran/drove (city) but it was fuel starving (surging) at times the short trip I took in it. And it was on there for over 2 years before it failed. I put another of the same type.

You must be registered for see images attach

You must be registered for see images attach

Diesel D

Full Access Member
Reaction score

....for what it's worth, Diesel Tech Ron (RIP), a YouTube Diesel Technician, agrees with your sentiments...he says the filter in the fuel bowl (on the PSDs) is all that's needed....he does explain however, that he used to get his fuel from a local co-op that double filtered the fuel right at the pump....

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ramtough01