injector lines

c_silva88

Reaction score
has any one successfully made replacements? i was thinking about trying to bend up a set out of some stainless steel line i have laying around from a few other projects to replace my current lines that are getting really rusty.

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
Nice idea but you need a special fitting thats actually part of the line. The ferril is not pressed on the ends. Its all one part. I have several spare sets If you want a set of 8. Just pm me and we can work it out. I even have amlost a complete set of new lines I bought by mistake. Some ebay seller was not clear about the 8 lines he was selling. I got 8 lines all the same cylinder. So I bought several more "sets of 8" from him attemptoing to make a complete engine set.

gatorman21218

Reaction score
dont think thats a great idea. My understanding is the lines are a very specific length to be sure the proper injection timing. The pump sends out a "pulse" that travels to the injectors. Now if one line was a different length, the pulse would arrive at the wrong time, and at best cause a rough idle and worse a misfire.

If they are just rusty I would just lightly scuff them and then paint. If you remove them you will probably need a return line kit as those dont like to be disturbed. Be sure to put the clamps back on though. the clamps are very important. Without them the lines will vibrate and eventually crack.

Also be careful you dont strip the injectors going back on. I make sure I can hand thread the nut at least a few turns before I put a wrench on them

88 Ford

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Iirc all the injector lines are the same length just with different bends. That is all one would have to worry about correct, since they just all need to be the same length?

gatorman21218

Reaction score
I actually was talking with Diesel JD about this the other night. I'm not sure if the lines are all the same length or if they are different and the pump is calibrated for the difference. Also like gary mentioned, the fittings are not your standard brake line double flare.

artfd

Reaction score
I have read that these lines are of specially hardened steel and were engineered to last the lifetime of the vehicle. Fabricating the special flare used might require a special flare tool. If the rust on my lines were bothering me, I would treat them with that anti-rust paint to stop the process & leave them at that. I checked prices on new replacement lines 8 weeks ago, $48 each. Multiply that times 8.

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
I bought a complete new set from dieselogic for $99.00 & free shipping. Came assembled with clamps too. Shortly after that they figured out the ultra low price and started to adjust it. The next sets were not assembled and the shipping charge was applied too. You could pay them to assemble them for an extra $20.00... I got my set on a buy it now too free shipping... SCORE... These lines are really thick walled tubing too. You really may not have a problem like you think you do. As I posted early on I have several good used sets. If you want a complete set of 8 pm me.

Michael Fowler

Reaction score
I've heard the discussion about a "pulse" traveling traveling thru the line, and changing the length would affect injector timing. I'm still not convinced. Liquids are not compressible--like air is. Your brake lines are all different lengths, and no one tries to makes them all the same length, yet your truck doesn't spin out of control every time you stop--well, maybe your truck dies....

SHARPIE

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Look at a set of tuned headers all the tubes are the same length even though they may not look it by all the bends,I am no diesel pro but if you study the lines they all look to be the same length thats why they go back then bend forward, My donor truck has one line that someone replaced with hydraulic RUBBER line and you can tell its got a slight miss fire on the timing, Did a compression test and all came in at 400PSI maxed the gauge out.

gatorman21218

Reaction score
No fluid leaves the system when you hit the brakes.

very good point. And also think about when you brake. From 60 to 0 mph it takes what 6 to 15 seconds depending on how hard you are braking? At 2500 rpm the injection pump is sending a pulse 2500(rpm)X 8(cylinders)/ 2 (4 stroke) = 10000 pulses per minute or 166 2/3 pulses per second. I'd say there is a slight difference in the tolerence.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Lance

Members online