Injection Pump

Cattledog

Reaction score
My son changed his injection pump, with a used one that was pretty new, but had sat for a while. We can get fuel out of the return line and a little at the injectors, but we cannot get it to fire. I am going to jump the Cold timing solenoid in the morning but any advice would be appreciated. Thanks Phil

devildog88

Full Access Member
Reaction score
welcome to the forum ;Sweet

did the truck run before he changed the pump?

how long have you cranked it over it could take a while to work all the air out crack open the injector lines untill you see fuel.

does he have the timing marks lined up?

Cattledog

Reaction score
Yes it ran, it would start good cold but when it was warmed up it would not start, that is why he changed the pump. He has cranked it quite a bit and the timing marks are lined up. I was not there when he put it in, can he have it out of time? And if so how do I retime it? Thanks Phil

LCAM-01XA

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Phil, when the pump was swapped, was the housing it bolts up to and the big gear inside it removed? If gear and housing were left undisturbed, and you only removed the pump, with the marks lined up it should not be out of time.

Every time I adjust the fuel screw (twice this week, turning it down), when I put everything back together I crack the injector lines open at the injectors (loosen the nuts a bit, obviously don't remove them completely) and I give it two good 15-second cranks so all the air that's inside the line gets purged, you should see fuel coming out from around the line nuts at that point. Tighten nuts down, fire up truck, she'll be jumpy a bit, but after a minute or so she stabilizes the idle and she's good to go.

Cattledog

Reaction score
Yes he removed the gear, he said he realigned it right. We pulled it for about 100 yards and it fired and smoked pretty bad but would not continue to run. It would not turn over very fast so I checked the starter and it was dragging so I got him a new one and am about to put it on. I just was not sure what it would do if he had it a tooth off, or how to start over and get in time right. I appreciate your helping me on this. Phil

RLDSL

Diesel fuel abuser
Reaction score
Have you seen this article

Look carefully at the first couple of pictures. It would be very easy for someone to think they had the gear alligned and instead be 180 deg off ( I got an engine from a guy this way and the darn thing actually ran. It started hard, smoked like crazy and didn't want to idle, but it ran. THe thing ran perfect after getting the gear straightened out and blowing the carbon out cookoo

It's worth a second look. It's very hard to see down in there while trying to line those things up.

6 Nebraska IDIs

Reaction score
If you even have the gear off one tooth it wont run for a darn. Be very sure that gear is in there correctly.

subway

be nice to the admin :D
Reaction score
once you get the gears lined up if thats the case it should be timed. to time the truck you need a spacific diesel timing meter to do it right. the aligment marks are a starting point but are not to be trusted to be dead right. manufactuing tolerances will make these vary somewhat. that is why to be timed correctly it needs to be done by a meter.

if the sytem was empty it can take a while of cranking with the injectors loose to get the air out.

Agnem

Using the Force!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Pulling the pump gear to do an IP is probably #1 on the list of "top 10 sins you can commit while working on your IDI". Nothing like making work for yourself. No doubt the gear is out of whack.