Injection pump timing issue

blue67chero

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I know there are thousands of threads on here about injection pump timing... but I haven't seen one yet that has had someone talking about their injection pump not moving at all while trying to time. I went to wyreths tonight and we tried to time my truck.. We found that it is 5 degrees retarded but when trying to advance the injection pump it would only move about 1mm which was not enough for us to get it to where we needed it. Has anyone had this issue or have any ideas on why it won't move? We cracked the lines on the pump and still couldn't get it to move? Our next thought is to pull the pump and see if it's just being a real big "B"... Any thoughts? Any help is appreciated.

Clb

Another old truck
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Bawhahaha
If thats not it,,, frozen in place?
^^^ this..........not this^^^^

blue67chero

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I must have missed it in that thread the first three times I read it... But finally saw it this time

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
Ok please tell me if the pump appears to be turned towards the passenger side of the engine. If the pump looks like its leaning way over to the passenger side then you have a gear timing issue. Probably someone before you removed the pump and gear along with the housing when they changed a pump. Then the injection pump gear did not get back in the correct timed place on the cam gear. Sorry but its easily fixed.

OLDBULL8

Good Morning Ya'll.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I agree with icanfixall. Gotta be that. If you can see a lot of bolt slot on the pass side, that's it.

blue67chero

Full Access Member
Reaction score
We got it to move about an eighth of an inch toward the driver side. But then it wouldn't move past the timing mark we made going towards the passenger side

blue67chero

Full Access Member
Reaction score
It is oriented to the center and not leaning to one side vs the other

riotwarrior

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Take the TOP nut off the retaining stud on the IP gear cover, is there still room available in the slot to turn it? If so sounds like injector lines need to be loosened on the IP itself. If no room then you've hit max travel.

Super simple to check...

Don't forget to tighten the nut back up....

JM2CW

OLDBULL8

Good Morning Ya'll.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
How are you trying to move it, with what? There is a lug that a 3/4" wrench will fit to move the IP, kinda at the top of the solenoid cap, on the radiator side, you can get some pretty good leverage there.

blue67chero

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Old bull that's the lug and the wrench we were using even put a big pipe on it to see if we could move it but to no avail it would not budge I'm gonna check later when I get home to see if in fact there is no room for it to move within the slot

riotwarrior

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Old bull that's the lug and the wrench we were using even put a big pipe on it to see if we could move it but to no avail it would not budge I'm gonna check later when I get home to see if in fact there is no room for it to move within the slot

WAY WAY WAY....TOO MUCH FORCE ON THAT!

Also never attempt to move IP when engine is running...bad Bad BAD IdEa!!!

JM2CW

blue67chero

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Next time maybe a larger pipe is not needed... How easily should it move?